996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rebuilt my engine ... having running issues - input appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad you were able to trouble shoot your engine idle issue. Thanks for the rebuild pics. You should be pleased that your Porsche is happy and healthy again.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:15 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Great to hear of your successful rebuild story. Nice job.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:44 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Congratulations Bill. You're indeed an inspiration to all of us amateur wrenches.

Pardon me for being gauche...but what did you end up spending on the rebuild?

jasper
Old 08-09-2013, 05:46 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Do you have a pic(s) of how the pistons and cylinder walls looked? Some more details on what you did would be great. Awesome job!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

That's some old gas.

I got a chance to experience 6 or more months' old gas with a new Infiniti. The tank was filled up in Jan of 2012 and then not filled up again until July of 2013. The car sat with very little usage, like maybe no more than 30 minutes of run time (and most of that just one drive) over that time.

Then in July I went and picked up the car to use for some personal business, personal business for which my Porsches were not at all suited.

The engine didn't react too badly. It started and idled and run ok, though on the road I thought the engine was down on power but not being that familiar with the car just believed it was the nature of the car.

So I drove the car around until the tank level got pretty low and as the owners manual stated I filled up the tank with premium (Shell).

Wow! The engine really perked up and its performance and throttle response was like night and day different from before I filled up the tank. I guess with another 9 months or so of aging the engine might have refused to run above idle, maybe not even run at all.

Anyhow, glad you got it all sorted out.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:32 AM
billyboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tom, Mhenry, Barn, Alpine, Macster and Jasper. I took my sweet time but I’m pretty happy with the results. Jasper, I haven’t added up all the bills but I think it’s under $5000 and that includes maintenance items (clutch, tensioner pads, IMS bearing, etc) replacing damaged parts, plus specialty tools. Not bad considering, plus I quite enjoyed the project.

KrazyK - the bores and pistons were really good as were the bearings. The car has 130,000 kms (80,000 miles) on it.

Basically I had to replace the timing chains (one broken); a scavenge oil pump because it had a piece of broken chain jammed in it; the IMS shaft because the chain chewed up the gear (that was the costliest item at $1300 but it came with a new bearing, not that mine was bad but I would have changed that anyway); and a few bent valves. Those were the only damaged parts. The rest was just cleaning and checking and making sure no bits of chain remained. And of course, all new seals, gaskets, bolts and tensioner pads throughout. Hats off to local Rennlister pterfloth who loaned me tools and expertise and time. Thanks tons Pat.

Some more assembly pics below: Cleaned half case; installing wrist pin clips blind in the middle of the block (sheesh!); lowering the crank cage into one case half; rebuilding a head; keeping lifters sorted; crank cage apart. Clean, clean, clean!
Attached Images      

Last edited by billyboy; 07-25-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:39 AM
billyboy
Racer

But this is my favourite picture: back down on the ground!
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2013, 04:54 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

installing wrist pin clips blind in the middle of the block (sheesh!);
Thats what else I was wondering. So it CAN be done blind. Great info and pics!
Old 08-10-2013, 05:06 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

Excellent job, not only on the rebuild, but also on the starting problem diagnosis and fix. Congrats!
Old 08-10-2013, 12:17 PM
billyboy
Racer

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Thats what else I was wondering. So it CAN be done blind. Great info and pics!
There are special tools for the install but you can still mess up if the clip isn't seated properly ... or you drop a clip inside like I did and you have to split the cases again to find it. You need a snake camera to check your work.

Macster - interesting gas story. We don't often leave new cars sitting. I'm used to having older sportscars that have sat for 6 months through the winter and always start up in the Spring. (But decidedly low horsepower and low tech) Take a new(er) hi-performance car, plus let it sit for over a year ... different story. I should have been on it much sooner.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:52 PM
infrasilver
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

billyboy, great to hear you have finally got around to fixing that engine of yours, I almost wondered if something had gone wrong with your rebuild as mine has been on the road for a year since my build and I think both our chains expired about the same time last year although mine needed many more parts than yours, you lucky fella.

I'm glad its sorted, and I'm made up for you, I konw only too well the satisfaction of firing it up after a self build,...enjoy.

Did you time it up yourself?

Bad fuel can turn into treacle and isn't good when its been sat for a while.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:19 AM
billyboy
Racer

Thanks Chris. No excuses, it was a slow rebuild ... but partly in my defence, I was shipped the wrong timing chains and had to tear the engine right down to the crank and start over so that put a damper on things. Damn, I know that engine inside out now! Yes I timed it myself ... you need a(nother) special tool but it's pretty straightforward in the manual.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt my engine ... having running issues - input appreciated