996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is a 996 the right car for me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 02:57 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Using a 996 as a daily driver is a great idea. These cars, more than most, hate to sit. When they sit, sh*t breaks or goes bad. It really is that simple.

Good PPI, solid maintenence history, and decent miles for the year.... that is what I looked for.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:02 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Originally Posted by DillonInCO
One last thing for now---can anyone comment on the performance of a C2 vs C4 on track? And by that I mean actual experience.
My comments are based on several track days at High Plains Raceway, driving my 996 C2 vs. friends 996 Turbo at High Plains Raceway, your local track.... I'm sure other opinions vary!

A well set up C2 is definitely more fun on the track... 996's tends towards push (understeer) as set up from the factory. US versions at least. Nothing more than inexpensive H&R lowering springs, a GT3 spec alignment, and possibly tweaking tire sizes a bit and a stock C2 can be set up for extremely neutral cornering with heavenly throttle steer response. More of a drivers car that asks to be skillfully driven, responds beautifully when you get it right, and is frustrating when you don't...

By comparison a 996 turbo will definitely turn faster lap times, but mostly due to the 100+ HP power advantage. The turbo is also perhaps 'easier' to drive fast, but not as satisfying as executing a perfect corner with the RWD.

I might give up my C2 for a 996 Turbo, but in spite of the AWD, not because of it. C4S? I personally don't care for non-turbo widebodys, especially since I don't get the huge plus of the Metzger engine if I step up to a turbo.
C4? As a daily driver? Sure, why not. But it's heavier, less luggage space, more complicated, less fun to drive (at the limit).

911's in the snow? I don't love the idea of a 996 in a Colorado snowstorm even if it is AWD. Not because I don't think a C4 with full snows would do fairly well in snow (as long as it's lower than the front spoiler), its more the other cars I want a bit more protection from.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:35 PM
M3BimmerBilly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went from BMW M3 to 996.

Sold the 996 4 months later.

The cars performance is not worth the additional headaches (IMS bearing, Scored cylinders, timing pad issues, etc) and part costs for the price.

They are no more difficult to work on than a BMW. The 996 is laiden with 90's era VW/Audi electronics which is scary.

Never got to track the 996 as the consumables were way more than a E36 M3.

My car had 58K miles.

Would consider a 997.2 with the updated engine. Much better car.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:34 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You need to ask yourself if you have the knowledge and money to do expensive major repairs. Forget about modding the M96 engine for more power. Bolt ons are pointless unless your foolish enough to bolt on a Turbo kit or supercharger kit which will surely send your M96 to an early grave.

Quick Reply: Is a 996 the right car for me?