Sponsored by:

My 996 Track car project

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 11:37 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stjoh
Alignment and ride height are baseline GT3 with 2.0 degrees negative camber. Aero is also standard GT3 Mark 1. Tires are the ones that came with the car, RE760s, IN good condition but don't know much else about them. Shocks are also GT3 so not much to adjust there. Both sway bars are set one notch from the most inboard. Was going to try a couple of notches softer on the front. Any suggestions?
Glad to hear the motor's OK. KrazyK must have hit the kitty litter again last night....

Honestly it's probably just the tires. It appears your bars are 1-off full stiff at both ends which is where I run mine with slicks. You could soften the front bar 1 notch at a time, stiffen the rear bar to full stiff, or a combination of both just make 1 adjustment at a time. It only takes a few minutes a the track. Also play with tire pressures....

When you buy some better track tires (R compounds) get the biggest front tire front can fit on your rims, 235 or larger and stay 285 or less in the rear to help balance out the understeer.....
Old 11-24-2013, 01:00 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Glad to hear the motor's OK. KrazyK must have hit the kitty litter again last night....

Honestly it's probably just the tires. It appears your bars are 1-off full stiff at both ends which is where I run mine with slicks. You could soften the front bar 1 notch at a time, stiffen the rear bar to full stiff, or a combination of both just make 1 adjustment at a time. It only takes a few minutes a the track. Also play with tire pressures....

When you buy some better track tires (R compounds) get the biggest front tire front can fit on your rims, 235 or larger and stay 285 or less in the rear to help balance out the understeer.....
Thanks for the suggestions. I've already ordered a set of 285 G-force R1 tires for the rear. Planning on getting 245s for the front. I'll also try playing with the sway bar settings as you suggested. Unfortunately it'll be a couple of months until my next opportunity to get on the track.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:27 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Radar detector essentially in, just need to mount the control panel. Leaning towards attaching it to the batwing in the center console. Ended up swapping locations between the DSP panel and the climate control panel to give me more options for future mods. Washer fluid pump turned out to be a simple fix, the connector next to the battery had come loose. Simply popped it back together and everything works great again.

Decided on the Sabelt Taurus seat and a GMG roll bar. Both arrived today. Will be really nice to have a real seat (and the roll bar of course) for the next track day. Going to use the Crow 5-point harness from my previous car. Now I just need some mounting hardware...

Last edited by stjoh; 11-02-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:53 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

seats are the nicest upgrade, next are the belts, with these your experience will be night and day guarantee nice roll bar by the way. I used to love the tequipment but it start rusting a bit ;(
Old 12-02-2013, 11:19 PM
Trojan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Karl here. Is that the seat you were looking at up at VIR? Going the solo route from here on?
Old 12-02-2013, 11:59 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What are you talking about?????The engine is running great. I bought the car with a blown engine and had it rebuilt. Recently started driving again after that rebuild.
Somehow your old pics got mixed in with your new ones. Wasnt sure what happened. Glad its OK.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:59 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Trojan
Hey Karl here. Is that the seat you were looking at up at VIR? Going the solo route from here on?
Yepp, same seat. I may get a second seat later on. Perhaps a cheaper (but still FIA approved) one like the Bimarco.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:46 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Got the roll cage installed today. After shaving a bunch of the plastic off the piece under the carpet by the door it went in without too much fuzz. Seat is next...

Last edited by stjoh; 11-02-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:09 PM
iii911ooo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks god!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:11 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

After all the important stuff time for some bling.

Last edited by stjoh; 11-02-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:35 PM
Amille28
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice build.

Can you explain how hard the underdrive pulley install was?

My 3.4 engine died the same death. Gold colored flakes in the oil filter up until the end.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:30 AM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

The under drive pulley wasn't too bad to install. The hardest part was grinding a piece off the engine block that is normally used to hold the pulley in place when tightening it but that would interfere with the smaller under-drive pulley. Wasn't too bad with the engine out of the car but may be a bit of a pain with it installed. Other than that it's a ten minute job.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:31 AM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

BTW, what did you end up doing with your engine?
Old 12-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Amille28
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's still sitting under the workbench. I haven't had time to tear it down and inspect it.

Based on your repairs I'm guessing you bought bearings, rods, a new used crank.

Specificially, did you

1. Did you get a bearing carrier with the crank. Are those a matched set?
2. What kind of bearings did you use? The OEM i think are tri-metal but many other engines are going to Aluminum silicon material. I read somewhere that the gold color in the bearing material came from copper
3. did you replace rods or just the one that was damaged? If you replaced them all did you go with OEM or forged?
4. any other engine upgrades while-you-were-there?

I'll post teardown pics in my 3.2 thread when I get to pulling everything apart.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:12 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Amille28
It's still sitting under the workbench. I haven't had time to tear it down and inspect it.

Based on your repairs I'm guessing you bought bearings, rods, a new used crank.

Specificially, did you

1. Did you get a bearing carrier with the crank. Are those a matched set?
2. What kind of bearings did you use? The OEM i think are tri-metal but many other engines are going to Aluminum silicon material. I read somewhere that the gold color in the bearing material came from copper
3. did you replace rods or just the one that was damaged? If you replaced them all did you go with OEM or forged?
4. any other engine upgrades while-you-were-there?

I'll post teardown pics in my 3.2 thread when I get to pulling everything apart.
I had somebody else do the actual rebuild. While I know he replaced the bearings I don't know exactly which type he put in. I don't think the carrier was replaced, just the crankshaft itself. The rods did not have to be replaced so still OEM.

No internal upgrades were done so the engine is essentially stock. It didn't make sense to me to spend money on internal changes given my budget and goals for this car...

Looking forward to seeing your rebuild posts.

Quick Reply: My 996 Track car project