My 996 Track car project

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:05 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by fasteddie99
Who's doing your rebuild?
You are reasonably close to Flat6 Innovations in Georgia...
I talked to them and while I'm sure they're good they are pricey and have a very long waiting list. Taking to a guy in the Chicago area that goes under "Porsche-Land" on eBay. Checked a few of his references and they all seem quite happy. Pretty quick turn-around too. I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:08 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by philooo
what are you gonna add to your rebuild to make it track friendly ?

accusump ? new IMS solution with oil feed ?

send us a list of goddies you plan on doing on the engine

I have an oil pan for sale, the X51 style but with the metal baffles, if you are interested. My regular x51 seems to have fixed my oil pressure problems for now.
I think I'm going to keep it mostly stock and focus on reliability items. I actually just bought a X-51 oil pan. Also replacing clutch, water pump, probably AOS. Only performance mods at this time will be a light-weight fly-wheel and an under-drive pulley. Considering turning it into a spec 996 later so I want to stay with what's allowed under those rules.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:09 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kazual99
Off topic question for OP. Since this is going to be a track car, would you be interested in swapping headlights with a little cash incentive? My lights are the first generation with yellow lower lenses. I absolutely HATE THEM, but they work just fine.

I may consider that. Send me a PM with your offer.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:11 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tbred911
get Jake to turn it into a 3.7 - with all the track oiling mods etc... that will pull like a GT3 !
That would be a blast but given the time and cost I'd probably be better off actually buying a GT3. Trying to stay on a budget here...
Old 07-30-2013, 10:14 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Imo000
My hat is off to you for figuring out how to keep the compressor connected.

Once I figured out what extensions to use and the angle the bolt was mounted at it wasn't too bad.

These are some good discussion on the issues that a lightweight flywheel can create. Might want to read up on it.
Thanks. I figured since the spec racing guys are using it it can't be too bad...
Old 07-30-2013, 10:53 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

The flywheel should be balanced to the rotating assembly.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:48 PM
Trojan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woo hoo, found the pictures. Looks like fun.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:00 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Didn't do much with the car during the week, just cleaning some of the parts I removed.

Today was the big day though as the engine came out. No major issues, forgot one coolant hose but caught it before I caused any damage. I had to remove the throttle body for the engine to clear under the chassis but that was easy, just four easily accessed bolts.

I removed the gearbox, exhaust is next before it's ready to go to the rebuilder. Looks to me like it has a pretty good leak form the RMS. Not sure if it was pre-existing or a result of the engine failure. Also, looks like the clutch/flywheel has rubbed against the transmission casing, perhaps a result of the spun main shaft bearing? Transmission is going to need a serious cleaning. Open to recommendations for cleaner. Many years I used a product, I think it was Castrol, on aluminum motorcycle parts that was great. Haven't been able to find it though.

Last edited by stjoh; 11-02-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:07 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

nice work ... so who is your rebuilder and what is the punch list of things you are gonna do the that motor ?

Phil
Old 08-04-2013, 01:12 AM
iii911ooo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The RMS was not leaking prior to main bearing failure. It's good to see that you are making progress.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:41 AM
gieseja
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure to add the 3rd radiator.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:40 AM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by iii911ooo
The RMS was not leaking prior to main bearing failure. It's good to see that you are making progress.
Thanks Randy. Hoping to have it running again by the end of the month. May even make it to CMP in Sep. Did you pick up a replacement yet?
Old 08-04-2013, 11:48 AM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by philooo
nice work ... so who is your rebuilder and what is the punch list of things you are gonna do the that motor ?

Phil
I think I'm going to use a guy called Martin up in the Chicago area (Porsche_Land on ebay). Complete head/valve job, new bearings including IMS, new water pump, new AOS. I'm going to put a new clutch in and possibly a light-weight fly-wheel (debating that one), low-temp thermostat and under-drive pulley. Also trying to decide on after-market exhaust / by-pass pipes. And yeah, an X-51 oil sump. It's already got new ignition modules and motor mounts so I'm leaving those alone.

Also replacing the axle seals and fluid in the transmission. Third radiator as somebody ,mentioned is high on the list too.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:46 PM
BlownC2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stjoh
I think I'm going to use a guy called Martin up in the Chicago area (Porsche_Land on ebay). Complete head/valve job, new bearings including IMS, new water pump, new AOS. I'm going to put a new clutch in and possibly a light-weight fly-wheel (debating that one), low-temp thermostat and under-drive pulley. Also trying to decide on after-market exhaust / by-pass pipes. And yeah, an X-51 oil sump. It's already got new ignition modules and motor mounts so I'm leaving those alone.

Also replacing the axle seals and fluid in the transmission. Third radiator as somebody ,mentioned is high on the list too.
The Motorsports AOS may be a good upgrade also if you're tracking the car.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:04 PM
iii911ooo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stjoh

Thanks Randy. Hoping to have it running again by the end of the month. May even make it to CMP in Sep. Did you pick up a replacement yet?
Stefan, I am picking up the replacement on Friday. A 2010 C2S. Here is a link to the car.
http://www.porschebeachwood.com/deta...-10400981.html

Quick Reply: My 996 Track car project