996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Changing Spark Plugs - need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 02:02 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Glad it worked out. Been there and done that and made the same mistake before too. Don't know the temps out there but around here it's in the upper 80's and humid today. Worst day to work on something like that.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
Success!!! The connection on #6 coil wasn't clicked-in. (You're not boomphin' right, Norton). I would have been done sooner but chalk it up to not reading the instructions that came with the code reader. I thought I erased the code but it kept coming back, so I spent an extra hour or so fixing something that was already fixed. I swapped the coil packs 5 and 6, figuring I might have a bad coil. When it came back up with #6 misfire again I broke down and read the instructions. Oops. Thanks for all of the help everyone. Time for a cold one.
Well done! Lucky it was #6, one of the easiest ones to get to.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:21 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 333 Posts

Really lucky. I didn't have to remove the mufflers again. The crazy thing is that I was trying to make sure they all clicked in so I'm not sure how I missed it. I could probably do the job again in less than half the time. Live and learn. Well, I got a code reader out of the deal and probably lost a few pounds as well.

Just took the car out for a spirited drive. The butt dyno detects a power increase of 7.39443 hp.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Really lucky. I didn't have to remove the mufflers again. The crazy thing is that I was trying to make sure they all clicked in so I'm not sure how I missed it. I could probably do the job again in less than half the time. Live and learn. Well, I got a code reader out of the deal and probably lost a few pounds as well.

Just took the car out for a spirited drive. The butt dyno detects a power increase of 7.39443 hp.
Exactly the kind of satisfaction I like about DIY. Feel so independent and in control. Imagine if you had brought it to a shop and the mechanic told you it's just a loose wire and think you're an idiot, you would be like :
Old 07-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work Bill! My default move is to leave the MAF unplugged whilst putting everything back together, throw a code, freak out, and then realize what I did, so I can totally empathize. Great work here!!!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:57 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

What only 7.39443 hp?? Should be 8.2435666, better do it again.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:31 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Glad you got it sorted out. One of my last "Oh $hit" moments came when I changed the oil and put the drain plug back in without the WASHER on it. Drip drip drip. Ever try to remain calm while pulling the plug with new expensive oil spewing out and trying to get the plug and washer back on? I still have nightmares......
Old 07-10-2013, 09:59 AM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

The butt dyno detects a power increase of 7.39443 hp.
That's funny !!
Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fpb111
What only 7.39443 hp?? Should be 8.2435666, better do it again.
Maybe my butt dyno needs recalibration. After all, it is rather old.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:32 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe my butt dyno needs recalibration. After all, it is rather old.
So glad to hear it all worked out for you, persist until we succeed!

Sixty is oh so young and the perfect age to put all of the wisdom the lessons of life have provided to good use. I'm 58 and often catch myself making remarks like "not too shabby for an old f**k". And I even get the Wednesday senior discount at the grocery store. Yup, I take the 5% and really enjoy the young ones at the store gawking as the "old guy" loads his groceries into where the engine is supposed to be. Oh crap, it's Wednesday so guess I'll need to take one of the 996s for a spin and put the 5% savings in my gas tank. LOL

Seriously, I am doing a gut rehab on our 2nd home, and doing it alone. Already filled a 35 cubic yard dumpster and working on filling a 20 yarder this week. And with a heat wave and no use running the central air with no ceilings or insulation, I am struggling to keep my weight up to a healthy level.

I promise to change my motor mounts and oil just as soon as I am done breathing all of the insulation dust. Note, my young ones won't work much with me because they say it is too hot and it's "dirty" work. I sure hope they can find a way to get paid for playing xbox in an air conditioned bed room.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks. I screwed something up - have a flashing CEL now. I don't have a code reader, so I guess I'll have to take it to the indy. This job kicked the crap out of me. Between the heat and being 60 years old, and having vertigo it took me 10 hours to do. And the kicker is it didn't need to be done. I got the car with 37k miles on the clock. For MY2000, the recommended change is at 45K. The plugs I removed were Bosch, not Beru, so they must have been done already.
I take my hat off to you. Plugs are the next main job on my agenda but I will wait for cooler weather before I start the job. I got my car not knowing if they are the original plugs at 45000 miles. Now I have 66000 miles on the clock. I am planning on doing them at 80000 unless I get a misfire beforehand. I am almost 72 years of age and could possibly be 73 when I do the job (GOD WILLING) of course.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:48 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

I used a low profile creeper to make my way around under the car. For us old guys, the key is having all of the tools nearby so you don't have to keep getting up and down. Better yet, have someone hand you the tools you need. I had to get up and down way too many times to look for tools and that, and the heat, is what beat me up. (Plus bumping my head countless times)

Your plugs were most likely changed around 30k miles and are probably due again. If it's not running rough you can wait, but you'll probably feel the difference if you change them. My car is noticeably more responsive.

I changed all of the tubes as well, though only one was leaking. The ones I removed looked to be in good shape. I used a boat plug wrapped with sandpaper and a pair of Channel Locks to remove them. I used the boat plug and a small pry bar to press the new ones in. Once I figured out the best way to do that, tube removal and replacement went quickly. The first one probably took me an hour, the rest each took about a minute.

All in all, really not too hard a task, but of course there's lot of unnecessary fumbling around and trepidation the first time you go through it.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:10 AM
robrichtx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed all of the tubes as well, though only one was leaking. The ones I removed looked to be in good shape. I used a boat plug wrapped with sandpaper and a pair of Channel Locks to remove them. I used the boat plug and a small pry bar to press the new ones in. Once I figured out the best way to do that, tube removal and replacement went quickly. The first one probably took me an hour, the rest each took about a minute.

All in all, really not too hard a task, but of course there's lot of unnecessary fumbling around and trepidation the first time you go through it.
Thanks for the post - this is on my list. Brakes first, along with brake fluid - then oil change and plug change.

BTW - I get occasional cylinder misfire codes when it rains heavily - looking forward to checking the connections on the coils when I do this. Your code reader will come in handy - I use it on the 996 as well as my diesel truck.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Rapewta
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too was 60 when I changed the plugs and tubes on my newly aquired 996.
Took the wheels and mufflers off.
Went and picked up a $79.00 OBDII hand held also.
I used the handle of one of my nut-drivers to pull out the tubes.
When seating the new tubes, I tapped them in with a socket the same diameter as the tubes using a small mallet.
It took me the better part of the day as a first timer.
We have no need to rush things as we get older.
Glad you diagnosed the problem and got it fixed.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:08 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

@RobRichTX - You probably have a cracked coil or two if the misfires show up only when it rains.

I just ordered OEM pads, rotors, damper sets, new bolts and spring kits. It came to about $1300. Ouch! I've watched Van's excellent video a few times and hopefully the job will go smoothly. The video doesn't cover the dampers, so if anyone has any removal/installation tips for the dampers please let me know.

Quick Reply: Changing Spark Plugs - need help