Sponsored by:

IXRL Sports Design 2 piece wheel bolt torque specs

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 10:15 PM
Porschelova
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IXRL Sports Design 2 piece wheel bolt torque specs

I am unable to find what torque spec should be used on these 18" wheels. Does anyone have that info please? I am referring to the torx screws holding attaching one piece to the big rim and the piece that holds that hub.
Thank you
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2013, 02:37 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

25 ft. lbs.
or
145 inch lbs.

based on previous threads on Rennlist.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ign-wheel.html
Old 06-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Porschelova
Advanced

Thank you Dale. I appreciate that.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:12 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

BBS usually specs out the bolts for one time use(partly due to stretch possibly or for just liability reasons). With that said, I've used their titanium bolts twice with no issues. Make sure you use some Locktite Blue upon reassembly.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Porschelova
Advanced

Thanks alpine, I can always count on you on some input. It is a scary thing. I bought 1 brand new wheel for which I am still pinching myself since it is beautiful. I bought 3 others on ebay. 2 were from salvage and had them redone at Perfection wheel. They tell me that they put them together up to spec and used loctite (not sure what color but they do a lot of wheels). Then I bought another 're-manufactured' wheel and I was about to put tires on all of them when my friend that owns the tire store tells me to check the balance on all the wheels first. The re-manufactured wheel had a hop and to fix these two piece wheels, they have to take them apart. I am now getting it replaced, but probably should not go to the track on these wheels. I will check the torque on all wheels once i get the tires on them. thanks for the advice.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

the stupid thing is BBS won't sell you the replacement bolts and Porsche probably won't order you a new wheel or it'll be stupid expensive. What the heck do they want people to do when they bend/rash the wheels? buy a new set of 4?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,500 Likes on 826 Posts

General consensus on the wheel nerd forums is that it's perfectly fine to reuse the BBS bolts. They are not stretch bolts and despite the fact they're holding a wheel together, they don't actually have that much stress on them because of the number of bolts.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Porschelova
Advanced

Alpine mentioned that they are Titanium, so i am hoping.

Dale, I understand. I was so dang lucky to find a brand new one that someone had found at a dealer in Florida. Never mounted. The front 2 I got on ebay looked like they went through an african road rally. The other rear had bump which is getting replaced. The company took care of it right away, but I'll lose a week. Oh well.

I really like the look of these wheels so hopefully, they are all good and probably will not track the car on these because I will hold back because of wheel crumbling paranoia. Or carry a torque wrench wit the right spline bit (they are not torx). thanks guys
Old 06-27-2013, 08:49 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes BBS will not sell bolts to the public for liability reasons. I'm not sure if the Sport Designs use Titanium bolts. I was speaking about my BBS RS-GT wheels.

As for the one time bolt use rule, I can see that on titanium bolts as they can be tricky to reinstall if you don't chase out the threads and clean off all the existing Locktite first.

Quick Reply: IXRL Sports Design 2 piece wheel bolt torque specs