Sponsored by:

Wind Deflector/Windscreen cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Porschelova
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind Deflector/Windscreen cleaning

Seems like a silly question, but with some Porsche things, I don't know if it is silly or not. For the guys with Cabrio, how/what do you use to clean your windscreen. I notice mine had some smudges and can't think from what, but read things elsewhere about not using ammonia based products - fine, but what should be used. I am being careful since it is my 2nd windscreen and it was imprecable until now and con't want to screw it up. thanks in advance.
p.s. I have a tequipment soft top cleaner, but not sure if that is ok for this since it is a different material.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

Better to post this in one of the model specific tech forums.

This Help forum is for questions about how to use the forum - not for car questions.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:31 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,411 Likes on 2,516 Posts

A quick detailer spray and a micro fiber towel, or 100% terry cloth towel. Never wash your car cleaning rags/towels with any fabric softener.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Porschelova
Advanced

I'll try that , thanks
Old 06-24-2013, 05:39 PM
Porschelova
Advanced

I just did...it is filthy, so for the others like me that think your windscreen is clean - it is not. The terry cloth came out dark brown and used another one and I may have to do it all over again. The devil in one ear is telling me to wash it with soap...any problem with that?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:09 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,411 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Can you post a picture? How can it be that dirty?

Are you talking the fabri type one? Let it dry. Vacuum well. I like cleaning the fabric/carpet areas with Griot's water clear fabric cleaner. No dyes, no fragrance. Use clean with terry clothe towels/rags. Sometimes I set up a fan on low to accelerate drying.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

Last edited by LexVan; 06-24-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Porschelova
Advanced

LexVan, it is identical to this that they are selling on ebay -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-997-...576672&vxp=mtr .
Why is it that dirty? Lol, I never thought of cleaning it because it always looked clean until this weekend when I got home and the sun was hitting it just right and I notice like smudges on the screen. Never occurred to me (figured it cleans itself since it gets hammered by wind all the time...lol) . You mentioned the detailer spray and that actually did a great job, but it was very dirty. I could not believe it. Went through two clean terry cloths and now it looks brand new. I've been lucky with this one and I should not have said that - now I will get a hole. I liked the Griots wheel cleaner that turns purple when it is doing the work. It really takes the brake dust off nicely. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Quick Reply: Wind Deflector/Windscreen cleaning