996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How To: Convert your AWD 996 to RWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 07:36 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,778 Likes on 1,113 Posts

I remember test driving a C4S before buying my current C2, and while the C4S felt more planted in tight, slow turns, particularly in 1st gear and on the throttle, once at higher speed, I didn’t notice much difference.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:33 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,515 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by 5CHN3LL
...and there it will stay, unless I get a wacky project idea.
I've always thought the 996 all wheel drive system would be perfect for some kind of tube frame AWD go-kart type project.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:53 PM
Otto Bonn
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
I've always thought the 996 all wheel drive system would be perfect for some kind of tube frame AWD go-kart type project.

Capt! 997 AWD swap? Would you consider 997 RWD conversion knowing what you do?
Old 10-27-2021, 01:05 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Converting a 997.2 to RWD is a lot more work than just removing the all wheel drive system because that system is controlled with computers which are of course tied into multiple systems in the car.

I believe converting a 997.1 (Carreras only) is the same as the 996 because they used the same viscous all wheel drive system through 2008.
Old 10-27-2021, 01:13 PM
Otto Bonn
Three Wheelin'

Question

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
Converting a 997.2 to RWD is a lot more work than just removing the all wheel drive system because that system is controlled with computers which are of course tied into multiple systems in the car.

I believe converting a 997.1 (Carreras only) is the same as the 996 because they used the same viscous all wheel drive system through 2008.

OK, yes, 997.1 or 996. So, in your humble opinion, nothing more but given your experience, is the awd delete worthwhile or more just bragging rights?
Old 10-27-2021, 01:45 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

If I were to do it again, I wouldn't do it without also installing an LSD.
The following users liked this post:
911Syncro (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 01:55 PM
Otto Bonn
Three Wheelin'

Well, good point, it is nice to know from your perspective. Thanks for your candid opinion.
Capt. Obvious (10-27-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 12:01 PM
245ster
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 30 Posts

The suspension on my C4S is in need of a refresh after 137k miles. I'm planning to go RWD at the same time due to my slowly deteriorating front diff.

Does going RWD change anything when it comes to suspension upgrades? Like should I plan to go with adjustible coilovers assuming that I'll need some flexibility to tune?
Old 10-07-2023, 07:17 PM
preppyr6
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Just finished this "upgrade" this weekend. Havent test driven it yet. Some extra details in case anyone else is wondering:
  • Most bolts/nuts are 15mm.
  • There are 2 14mm bolts holding up the gas tank "straps" that must be removed to loosen the straps in order to remove the plastic shield under the diff. Dont worry, the gas tank wont fall.
  • There is a small 10mm bolt in the center support to disconnect the plastic coolant hose support (it is very fragile!)
  • You MUST remove the studs holding the diff to the front support (unless maybe youre using a lift) in order to drop the diff. It cant slide back far enough without jeopardizing the coolant pipes. These studs are 7mm,.
  • I used a pry bar to separate the transmission from the driveshaft flex disc. Then I proceeded to drop it and remove from the center support.
  • Most of your time will probably be spent trying to separate the CV joint knuckle. Its a PITA but it is doable. I decided if I ever reinstall the AWD Ill just buy remanufactured CV joints

Only question I havent solved yet is how best to protect the open flange on the transmission.

Last edited by preppyr6; 10-07-2023 at 07:23 PM.
imhighlander (12-23-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 06:51 PM
imhighlander
Racer

Received 429 Likes on 157 Posts

I know this is an older thread but I'm thrilled I stumbled across it. I've been thinking about this for my 996.2 4S. I've been holding off on the project because I live in the foothills in Colorado (above 7500') and it certainly does get snowy here. I also drive my C4S year-round. I have a set of snow tires I swap back-and-forth with my regular tires depending on road conditions. I have a short commute (all within my little town) - about 20 minutes each way.

I appreciate the fact that Porsche was building non-AWD cars for a very long time and with the engine weight over the rear drive axle, intuitively it seems like a RWD 911 would be almost as good in snow as an AWD. There are certainly plenty of press photos of old school 911s tearing it up in the snow but I'm not so naive to discount the fact that those are indeed "press" photos.

Have any of the folks on this thread deleted AWD in a C4S driven in true 4-season weather, including icy/snowy roads? My 4S sits so low that I don't go out until after roads are plowed (otherwise I AM the snow plow!), but we do have fairly prolonged periods of snow-packed roads in the hills. I know the project is reversible, and I'd use the Rennline or Reid Performance axle stubs anyway to simplify reversibility. I'd just rather not go through the process of converting it from AWD to RWD if it's going to make the car generally useless when the snow falls.

Thoughts?
Old 12-01-2023, 07:14 PM
Otto Bonn
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by imhighlander
I know this is an older thread but I'm thrilled I stumbled across it. I've been thinking about this for my 996.2 4S. I've been holding off on the project because I live in the foothills in Colorado (above 7500') and it certainly does get snowy here. I also drive my C4S year-round. I have a set of snow tires I swap back-and-forth with my regular tires depending on road conditions. I have a short commute (all within my little town) - about 20 minutes each way.

I appreciate the fact that Porsche was building non-AWD cars for a very long time and with the engine weight over the rear drive axle, intuitively it seems like a RWD 911 would be almost as good in snow as an AWD. There are certainly plenty of press photos of old school 911s tearing it up in the snow but I'm not so naive to discount the fact that those are indeed "press" photos.

Have any of the folks on this thread deleted AWD in a C4S driven in true 4-season weather, including icy/snowy roads? My 4S sits so low that I don't go out until after roads are plowed (otherwise I AM the snow plow!), but we do have fairly prolonged periods of snow-packed roads in the hills. I know the project is reversible, and I'd use the Rennline or Reid Performance axle stubs anyway to simplify reversibility. I'd just rather not go through the process of converting it from AWD to RWD if it's going to make the car generally useless when the snow falls.

Thoughts?

Porsches are great in the snow if you have proper size dedicated snow tires. Keep them narrow. I don't drive my 996 in the snow but did get caught once in awhile in my 964. At times you could see the s-shaped tracks from other drivers sliding off the crown of the road into the gutter because it was so slick and my car was remarkable. Gentle on the throttle input and no spin at all. On the other hand my rsr clone with 345s could slide on a single snowflake.

Are you in evergreen?
imhighlander (12-01-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 09:02 PM
imhighlander
Racer

Yep, I'm in Evergreen. I run the Porsche recommended sizes for snow tires, which I think are 265 rears and 225 fronts. I never let my tires get old and I just don't cut corners on tire quality. Whatever they are, they're the sizes noted in the owner's manual.
Old 12-02-2023, 01:02 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,574 Likes on 985 Posts

I’m also in Evergreen and I’ve seen you out and about in your C4S. I believe it’s the same color as my 2002 C4S was (Midnight Blue Metallic). Beautiful car.

My C4S was also my daily driver and I installed winter wheels and tires every October. I kept the AWD system intact on my car, but even with AWD and winter tires I was unable to drive up my driveway when it was really slick with ice or hard packed snow. I had to back up my driveway in those conditions!

Here’s a pic of my old C4S with my winter setup, parked in downtown Evergreen.

Last edited by Dennis C; 12-03-2023 at 12:23 PM.
imhighlander (12-02-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 07:19 PM
imhighlander
Racer

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I’m also in Evergreen and I’ve seen you out and about in your C4S. I believe it’s the same color as my 2002 C4S was (Midnight Blue Metallic). Beautiful car.

My C4S was also my daily driver and I installed winter wheels and tires every October. I kept the AWD system intact on my cat, but even with AWD and winter tires I was unable to drive up my driveway when it was really slick with ice or hard packed snow. I had to back up my driveway in those conditions!
Nice. Mine's actually Lapis Blue, just a little bit lighter than yours. I guess you sold it by now? Thanks for the compliment on mine; I really love the car! My driveway is super easy. I'm just south of downtown and don't have any tough hills to navigate, fortunately. I used to daily a 986.2 S Boxster year round. Blizzaks in the winter seemed to do the job on that little number. It's now my wife's fair weather car.

Last edited by imhighlander; 12-03-2023 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Fixed typo. (OCD)
Old 12-03-2023, 12:23 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,574 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by imhighlander
Nice. Mine's actually Lapis Blue, just a little bit lighter than yours. I guess you sold it by now? Thanks for the compliment on mine; I really love the car! My driveway is super easy. I'm just south of downtown and don't have any tough hills to navigate, fortunately. I used to daily a 986.2 S Boxster year round. Blizzaks in the winter seemed to do that job on that little number. It's now my wife's fair weather car.
I traded mine many years ago at Porsche of Colorado Springs for a 997 Turbo cabriolet (which is also gone). My 996 C4S eventually popped up here on rennlist and is now owned by a gentleman in New York.

Lapis Blue is a gorgeous color. It suits the curves of the C4S nicely.

I’m currently driving a 991 Turbo S cabriolet in Mahogany Brown Metallic. It’s more of a fair weather car, although I do put proper winter tires on it. Hopefully I’ll see you at a PCA or a Porsche Breakfast Club event.

I’ve loved every 911 that I’ve owned. I still miss the 996 C4S.
imhighlander (12-03-2023)

Quick Reply: How To: Convert your AWD 996 to RWD