996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Road trip day 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 02:18 PM
kent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not post some nice pictures from the fun trip?
Old 06-28-2013, 02:39 PM
yank_my_chain
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I leave work today, I'm going to pick up my son and go for a 160 mile trip to our family's lakehouse (1/2 highway, 1/2 twisty back roads). I'm looking forward more to the drive than the rest of the weekend!
Old 06-30-2013, 05:03 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Made it back late last night after a non-stop drive from LA to Fort Collins (well, except for various gas, food, and bathroom stops, completely unable to coordinate the three due to my 10year old daughter's whims and apparently tiny bladder... :-)

Drove a total of 3005 miles in 9 days, saw many old friends, my daughter was able to re-establish or start friendships with all of their kids and we had some great bonding times which is what it is all about.

Now I need to get ready to remove 3005 miles worth of bugs and I'm sure find a few new stone chips, but that's all part of the fun and memories (the chips, not the bugs). There is a nice large box from Griot's that arrived while I was gone to help with that....

Didn't really end up with any great pix, the camera ate its memory card halfway through and the iPhone, while being mediocre as a phone, is also mediocre as a camera (purely IMO, of course). Need to replace soon.

The car did fantastic, it is amazing what kind of performance comes back when you descend to sea level from the 5000ft here at home. However, the long trip at sustained high speeds also seems to have "cleaned it out" if such a thing is still possible these days, and it seems to run better and faster even at altitude. I guess daily driving it even with some regular freeway and redline events does maybe affect it a bit. However that's the whole point of a Porsche, an everyday drive-able very fast car that really asks for no significantly special treatment relative to any other mundane car.

Saw exterior temps as high as 113 in Nevada yesterday, the car itself had its needle between just touching the right side of the 8 in 180 to maybe one needle width's to the right of that, AC maintained a comfortable 70 degrees at half fan speed the whole time while we had some great high speed passes on tourist mobiles on the sweepers of that corner of AZ that you go through on I-15 between NV and UT.

How is it that it seems every Prius in the world is now a tourist mobile in the summer, and many running at around 85-90mph? Not sure how you get any gas mileage doing that with the giant roofboxes most were carrying. We averaged just under 26mpg overall which included a lot of SF and LA traffic but is remarkable nonetheless.

I've got a few observations and questions re: tires (new HTRZIII's) /wheels (5spoke factory light weights) /suspension (stock) and other things that I had time to ponder which I will pose in another thread later...

Glad to be back, time to mow the lawn and de-bug the car...
Old 07-01-2013, 01:03 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Glad you made it back safe and sound. Makes me want to hit the road again just reading your posts. Soon I think. Well, after September.

I can vouch for that cleaning the engine out observation. A freeway drive at sustained high (though legal) speed has the engine in either of my Porsches purring like a kitten yet still able to growl like a tiger when I step on its tail...

Quick Reply: Road trip day 1