Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:27 AM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New IMS solution?

http://www.theimssolution.com/

Haven't seen this one 'til now.....
No ball bearing, but it's solid and uses engine oil bridged directly from the oil filter to lubricate.
Now this is being advertised as *permanent* solution.

Thoughts?
Old 06-12-2013, 12:34 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmm. New huh? Member since 2009. Guess youve been on a hiatus. Just kidding, there are many threads about this "solution" and many more opinions about it.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:15 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

It's only available for the later single-row IMS bearing.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:03 PM
pcst
Racer

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Hmm. New huh? Member since 2009. Guess youve been on a hiatus. Just kidding, there are many threads about this "solution" and many more opinions about it.

Haha, I guess I've never ran into this 'til now.
Been poking around 993 C4S idea & moved onto 996 turbo idea as well, so yeah my awareness of 996 IMS issue is just minimal at the moment
Old 06-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Its not really "new" now. I'd suggest searching the other threads on the topic and responding there. Having new threads just sucks up bandwidth and pisses people off on the IMS topic.

If you are in Seattle, I was just there over this past weekend instructing my M96 engine school and I had an IMS Solution in hand :-)
Old 06-14-2013, 03:48 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Jake, Mind if I ask what shops you are training in the Solution, and your other M96 engine school, products? As a Seattle area (Eastside Kirkland) 996 owner I like to know who is focused on this engine... just in case.
P.S. My C4 has your Dual Row IMS Bearing.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:17 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

In the Seattle WTI m96 Engine Mechanical class we had attendees from 20 different shops, not all were from the area. We had Camadians and Floridians in the class as well as people from all over the rest of the USA.

Our only trained, Certified Installer in the area for the IMS Solution is Chris' German Auto.

Chris has earned his invitation to the program.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:14 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for sharing Jake.
Just so happens Chris and his boys have been caring for my two Porsches for some time now. I have confidence in Chris, and more so as he looks for "innovations" from re-Engineering folks like Flat6 and LNI. I know these old cars are not "Bulletproof" (as if any old Porsche could be) so I look for the best way to dodge the bullets :-). I look forward to many happy years of motoring in my 996.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:55 PM
pcst
Racer

See it turned out to be very informative thread for great Seattlians
Old 06-17-2013, 07:29 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Camadians? Hmmmm, where are they from? Must be lovers of all things with cams in them... ;-)
Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

One question for you Jake. Have you ever known a double row bearing to actually fail? Not to be replaced as a preventative measure but to completely fail catastrophically ruining the engine?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:18 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
one question Jake. Have you ever known a double row bearing to actually fail? Not replaced but COMPLETE FAILURE CATOSTROPHICALLY.
Absolutely. I am instructing my M96 Engine School for the next four days, after the class I'll post some dual row failure pics.

The issue with a dual row is the foreign object debris is twice that of a single row, so even if a dual row bearing stays together the chances of huge amounts of collateral damage still exist. This is due to the oil system being filled with material laden oil.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:35 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lions ignore sheep, good marketing, I get it the customers are idiot sheep and you're the lion, cute. You know some humans have ignored siafu ants, they were devoured for their ignorance.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Absolutely. I am instructing my M96 Engine School for the next four days, after the class I'll post some dual row failure pics.

The issue with a dual row is the foreign object debris is twice that of a single row, so even if a dual row bearing stays together the chances of huge amounts of collateral damage still exist. This is due to the oil system being filled with material laden oil.
Doesn't matter about showing me the photographs of a double bearing with all or some of the ***** missing from it. The ***** could easily be removed. Or a double race bearing could be placed next to a photograph of a stripped down engine. I will have to take your word for it. Do you have a figure on how many double race bearings you have seen fail so has to ruin a 996 engine?
Old 06-19-2013, 07:21 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Doesn't matter about showing me the photographs of a double bearing with all or some of the ***** missing from it. The ***** could easily be removed. Or a double race bearing could be placed next to a photograph of a stripped down engine. I will have to take your word for it. Do you have a figure on how many double race bearings you have seen fail so has to ruin a 996 engine?
Your statement challenges my integrity. Beyond that a dual row IMSB can't be faked with the use of a single row bearing, because even a blind man could see their physical differences from a mile away.

The very first engine that I disassembled from the M96 family died from a total loss of a dual row IMSB, so yes those do occur. The bearing is twice the size of the single row, so failures are less, but as I stated earlier the collateral damage is greater due to more debris filing the engine. I have seen engines be completely devastated and deemed a total loss just from collateral damage from a dual row bearing failure.

If I was going to risk any factory IMSB it would be a dual row, but don't confuse that statement with being a compliment to the dual row, because it isn't.

That said, here is a dual IMSB equipped IMS. This was extracted during the teardown portion of my M96 "102" engine rebuild school earlier today. The bearing did not fail, in fact the engine was so bad that we can't tell exactly what did fail first. Its not on topic at all, but its just a really cool picture. I have to prep fpr tomorrow's assembly processes for the class, if I get finished in time I might find a dual row bearing pic for you, and I'll make sure that there is no way in hell that it could be confused with a single row.

Quick Reply: New IMS solution?