996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine and Transmission Rebuild Specs

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 02:06 PM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with much of your post, but eventually, ALL engines will need to be rebuilt (or replaced), water-cooled or otherwise. The more time that goes by the numbers will increase from a handful to - well it'll never stop increasing.

I don't know about others but I certainly can't afford or justify spending 25k on a new engine purchased and installed by Porsche - it'll never happen. But I don't need one - yet. That's what I'm trying to prevent by maintaining my existing engine and replacing worn internals before they fail and destroy the entire engine. This seems like common sense to me.

All I want to do is tear down the engine, inspect the pieces for wear and functionality, replace the wear surfaces, and put it back together for hopefully another 100k miles. To do this one needs something to compare the existing engine specs to the design operating specs. I'm not talking about "high performance (race) engine building secrets", just bearing clearances, end play, tolerances, etc. How would one know if a part is worn beyond its service tolerances if one doesn't know what that those service tolerances are?

Sure, we can all make assumptions based on experience and measurements from existing engines - but that's not definitive. I work in engineering and I guess I take access to this type of info as a given, a no-brainer when one works with mechanical equipment. But if Porsche refuses to provide the info, what can I do?

I can say I resent being held hostage, regardless of their reasons. Still, nothing I can do about it. It's a real bummer cause I love the car and I just want to take care of it so it lasts as long as it lasts - without a rebuild and refreshing that will be less than it would be if the applicable service info were available to end users. I don't see Chevy or Ford losing any sleep because folks are restoring and rebuilding old Mustangs and Corvettes.

Maybe someone will compile and publish a book like the one I referenced for the M96 engines. Sure would be nice...
Old 06-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Jake Raby was going to put a book out that I think was going to supply these numbers but I've not heard much about the book.
Because it isn't done yet. I stopped referencing it because I was getting 2 dozen PMs a week asking when it would be done.

Getting the IMS Solution in the parts supply system with major retailers took many months of my time. I will go into the final stages with the book after mid July when we return from summer shutdown.

Since this is 100% real information compiled from only my findings it has taken years to get as far as it is.

Quick Reply: Engine and Transmission Rebuild Specs