Sponsored by:

Just changed my gearbox oil to Motul Gear 300

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by yank_my_chain
Is there a difference in the gear oil from Porsche for a tranny with LSD?
My recollection is in the tranny fluid document there is no mention made of any special fluid for those cars equipped with LSD. I seem to recall that additives are not advised.

Now it could be Porsche has issued some tech bulletin that overrides this but I have no knowledge of this. Check with your local Porsche dealer parts department to learn what parts numbers/fluids possibly even additives (if any) are recommended for your car.

There are (or were last time I checked) only two manual transmission fluids. One from Mobil (Mobilube something or other) and Shell Transaxle fluid. They are miscible so there's no need to worry about which is in the tranny/diff.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:09 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxter
That's soooo cool, people use my chart!!!

Heard stories that Motul Gear 300 would cause G-box to whine....
No issues with gearbox whine at all on my car. People complaining of that must have other issues lol.

And thanks for the chart! My car is an all year daily diver and I run it below freezing temperatures. The low temperature viscosity was really important to me as I didn't want my car to shift like a Mack truck in the winter.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:24 AM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
No issues with gearbox whine at all on my car. People complaining of that must have other issues lol.

And thanks for the chart! My car is an all year daily diver and I run it below freezing temperatures. The low temperature viscosity was really important to me as I didn't want my car to shift like a Mack truck in the winter.
Hey,no kidding. I know how M1 Delvac feels like around freezing point.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:17 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

On another note, if the shift cables are adjusted or set on the "tight" side to begin with, it will contract just enough in the cold to make shifts a bit difficult until warmed up.

I recently readjusted my cables and shifting has improved quite a bit in the cold now. It still feels good in hot weather as well.

If you look at the spacing of the adjustment grooves, you can see they're separated by fractions of a millimeter for a reason. Even the most minor adjustments can have a noticeable effect, especially running an SSK.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Updates

Updated gear lube info located here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=93472

Old 07-26-2013, 06:40 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cosmo Kramer, thanks for the advice, I just refreshed my tranny with Motul 300 75W90 and what a difference!!!!!!!! My car was running fine without any noticeable problems. It is time to change the motor oil and thought that I would do the tranny also. MAN!!! what a difference with the Motul..... It drivers like a new car. The tranny shifts smooth as silk and it is as quiet as a church mouse I don't know if others will have the same results, but I am very happy Just thought I'd share this with the group
The following users liked this post:
Cityfisher (09-07-2020)
Old 10-15-2013, 07:22 PM
996Ray
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi All,

I am another happy user of Motul 300 75W90. I had Delvac in my tranni for 25 miles. Even in 65 degree weather, the car shifted very poorly until warmed up - then it shifted fine. But, that will not work for me or the car. So, I tried to buy the Porsche stuff from the dealer. They told me that they use a fully synthetic Mobil 75W90 fluid that they buy in bulk. So, I read this thread, looked at the chart that shows how similar the Motul numbers are to the Shell product (recommended by Porsche, which I could not find anywhere) and decided to go with Motul - which I got 3 miles from my house at a motorcycle shop. GREAT STUFF. Car shifts awesome from start up to shut down. Very happy with it. Thanks for the advice guys.

Ray
Old 10-15-2013, 10:42 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 996Ray
Hi All,

I am another happy user of Motul 300 75W90. I had Delvac in my tranni for 25 miles. Even in 65 degree weather, the car shifted very poorly until warmed up - then it shifted fine. But, that will not work for me or the car. So, I tried to buy the Porsche stuff from the dealer. They told me that they use a fully synthetic Mobil 75W90 fluid that they buy in bulk. So, I read this thread, looked at the chart that shows how similar the Motul numbers are to the Shell product (recommended by Porsche, which I could not find anywhere) and decided to go with Motul - which I got 3 miles from my house at a motorcycle shop. GREAT STUFF. Car shifts awesome from start up to shut down. Very happy with it. Thanks for the advice guys.

Ray
+1 Delvac was a killer when cold. Motul is working much better for me.

Quick Reply: Just changed my gearbox oil to Motul Gear 300