996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IMS Guardian alarm.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 01:04 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,465 Posts

A $250 Guardian Jr. IMHO is perfect for 996 owners...

As Jake has mentioned in other threads and the LN web site, magnetic chip detection can save you from more than just an IMS bearing failure, but it sounds *really good* at providing early detection (before engine damage) of that particular bearing coming apart.

For me, here is the ideal strategy for the vast majority of 996 owners...
  • Drive your car. Enjoy your car.
  • Drop your oil pan, inspect for debris, clean.
  • Install Guardian Jr. $250.
  • Change your oil at 5K intervals.
  • If and when you ever need to drop your transmission for a clutch or other service, upgrade/replace the IMSB.
  • Keep the guardian installed, it can also early-detect other potential engine failure modes.
  • And did I mention, drive and enjoy your car.

I baffles me that you don't promote the Guardian Jr. just because you have knowledge of someone dumping their car after it went off. Every day that people dump cars without disclosing known problems... The net benefit of your Guardian system including benefits *beyond* just detecting an IMSB failure, coupled with its quite low cost, makes it a golden ticket for 996 owners.

And the $250 cost? That's less than a DIY oil change plus one of your spin-on filter adapters... An absolute no brainer in my book..
Old 06-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

I baffles me that you don't promote the Guardian Jr. just because you have knowledge of someone dumping their car after it went off.
Thats not the case. I am not big on "promoting" anything these days, and we have gotten completely away from selling our products directly, except my engines.

Every day that people dump cars without disclosing known problems..
I agree and people call me routinely and say "I just want to fix this thing and sell it". When that happens I won't help them at all, because I refuse to be part of that type of activity.

The net benefit of your Guardian system including benefits *beyond* just detecting an IMSB failure, coupled with its quite low cost, makes it a golden ticket for 996 owners.
I concur, but these days I have learned that people are so sensitive that I can't even mention these or other benefits of a system without being titled a "promoter" by the vendor haters that populate the internet world so heavily these days.

And the $250 cost? That's less than a DIY oil change plus one of your spin-on filter adapters... An absolute no brainer in my book..
I agree, and I would even if it wasn't my development.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:41 PM
gazzy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Down South
Hey Gassy!

Glad to hear you got the issue figured out.

Take care!
Hi Don,
how are you? Don't worry about this minor issue, the cars running really well and with a bit of peace of mind with the guardian installed. I obviously fitted it myself as I couldn't wait for you to fit it any longer.
Best wishes mate.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by gazzy
Hi Don,
how are you? Don't worry about this minor issue, the cars running really well and with a bit of peace of mind with the guardian installed. I obviously fitted it myself as I couldn't wait for you to fit it any longer.
Best wishes mate.
And to you!

The front spoiler is working out well. Looking for the rear now.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: IMS Guardian alarm.