Sunroof issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 01:39 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sunroof issues

I have a 2000 996 C4. It has about 130K miles. About a month ago, the motor from the sunroof began to slip and so I looked at the manual and decided that I could do this myself. I know, big mistake. However, removing the old motor I found the white plastic disk was missing some of the teeth. I purchase another used one off Ebay, and installed it. The motor is strong, but the sunroof is opening and closing only partially. I call the party that I purchase motor from and they tell me they checked it and it worked fine before listing it. Not wanting more problems, I am at Festival of Speed in Fontana and am talking with a guy with a race converted 996. I ask him if he has any parts that were stripped from the race car and he tells me he has the sunroof motor which was working excellent. He sells me the motor and I install it and the motor is strong, but it won't close all the way. Is there a part that I am missing which tells the motor what to do Any advice in this problem is much appreciated.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:44 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Still no fix, checked Renn tech, pelican parts, local Porsche dealer, and various Porsche boards and no luck I feel like a broken man Several persons have suggested that there is a voo doo ritual that must be performed prior to the motor being operational. Maybe sacrificing a baby kitten or something like that I am at a loss and don't know what to do. Any and all suggestions are appreciated
Old 06-07-2013, 06:53 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Do you have a copy of the service manual?

There are several pages on replacing parts in the sliding roof, including this description of resetting the limit positions...

Old 06-07-2013, 07:01 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Last edited by pfbz; 06-08-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:58 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I tried the link, and it requires some kind of accessThank you, much appreciated, this has been driving me crazy

Quick Reply: Sunroof issues