Sponsored by:

Troubleshooting a Clutch Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 09:34 PM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Troubleshooting a Clutch Issue

In November of last year my transmission started having trouble going into gear - at first just into reverse, then into first, and by January it wouldn't shift at all. Here's the thread: I Think I'm Screwed

So I finally pulled the transmission this weekend to see what I can see. The clutch, pp, and flywheel actually don't look that bad, so I don't think that is the problem. However, I do have an oil leak from the IMS or perhaps the RMS. Since the car has 85k miles on it I think I'll replace both for peace of mind. I'll also replace the slave cylinder and AOS while I'm here.

This still doesn't account for the shifter's refusal to engage R-1-2. I'm thinking the slave cylinder must be the culprit - I'm not sure what else in the chain would cause the gears not to engage since the shifter linkage and cables seem to be fine.

Whatever turns out to be the cause I guess it's good I pulled the transmission and found the oil leak.
Name:  _DSC0004_2.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  159.6 KB

Name:  _DSC0005.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  270.0 KB

Name:  _DSC0008.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  345.5 KB

Name:  _DSC0009.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  277.8 KB
Old 06-02-2013, 09:38 PM
sandersd
Pro

Default Pics of Clutch

I checked the flywheel function and it seems OK - moves about 1/2" then snaps back. The clutch disk has quite a bit of material left and the pressure plate has no grooves. Very dirty though.

Name:  _DSC0010.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  176.7 KB

Name:  _DSC0011.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  171.2 KB

Name:  _DSC0012.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  173.1 KB

Name:  _DSC0013.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  133.7 KB

Name:  _DSC0016.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  111.5 KB
Old 06-02-2013, 09:41 PM
sandersd
Pro

As I said here: Minimum height to remove transmission I have a list of stuff to replace depending on what needs it or would be prudent to replace while the trans is out.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:44 PM
sandersd
Pro

If you reply please don't quote and repost all the pics. I know it gets tedious for folks to scroll through multiple posts all with the same pics. Thanks!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:49 PM
sandersd
Pro

I'm wondering if I should pop the nose cone off the transmission and look at the internals. I'm not sure how involved that is. I don't want pieces falling out on the floor. Anybody know if there's more involved than just removing the bolts and slipping off the cover?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:09 PM
sandersd
Pro

BTW if you're in the market for a transmission jack buy one with a ratcheting nylon strap and NOT a piece-of-crap chain like the one I have. Mine is a Big Red from Northern Tools and the jack itself is fine but it is impossible to get the chain tight and once the trans is moved or wiggled the chain is loose again and usually falls off.

I had to buy a 14' ratcheting tie down to rig up a suitable strap to actually hold the trans firmly to the jack pad so I could pull on the jack and trans to remove it.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:20 PM
sandersd
Pro

Default Lots of cleaning to do

Name:  IMG_0163.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  226.4 KB

This thing is so filthy it'll take me a week and a gallon of degreaser to clean it, but there's no way I could put it back like this. Next weekend is a three-day weekend for me so I'll be cleaning the back of the motor and the trans.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:07 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

IMHO, the flywheel is scrap metal. Replace it while you have things apart. I see you have some shift linkage mods. Are you sure the shifting problems are not:
1. linkage related
2. 2nd gear detent fix
3. improper fluid
4. maybe clutch cylinder (replace anyway, its cheap)
5. worn synchros

Reach in through drian plug hole and feel for junk on magnet in bottom of trans.

I see you are in Houston. Need any specialty tools as Im close to you? Need vendor for LUK flywheel?

Love DIY projects. Great work!

I know you have one but this jack works perfectly for our lightweight transmissions. $82.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-...ack-39178.html

Last edited by KrazyK; 04-27-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:38 PM
sandersd
Pro

Default Time well wasted...

Actually I'm not sure of anything. I had hoped to find something obvious and dramatic I could point to and say:
"Oh, there's the problem. I'll just replace it and put everything back together."
As it turned out the results of my efforts were more ambiguous. I've never had issues with it popping out of gear so I think the detent issue is unlikely. I removed the console and checked the shifter linkage and didn't find anything obvious. I could still see the marks the tech made on the cables for the adjustment were still aligned.

The clutch components are very dirty but serviceable. The pivot and arm are ok. I didn't see anything obvious on the slave cylinder that would indicate it was not functioning, but that doesn't mean fluid is not leaking past the seal internally. Anyway , I will replace it and the fluid.

Ayone know of a shift function test I can do with the trans out of the car? Remove the cover and inspect the internals? - I'd need a procedure for that.

I'll check through the drain hole for debris when I get home. If I stand the trans on it's tail will fluid leak out or do I have to drain it before I check?

I was hoping for clarity once I removed the trans. Even so my effort wasn't wasted because I found the oil leak and want to replace the IMS bearing. But that doesn't explain the difficult shifting. Hopefully it will be the slave cylinder. I want to check everything I can before I put it back together.

KrazyK if you have the special tools to replace the RMS and other seals I'd love to borrow them. I'm in Sugar Land...
Old 06-03-2013, 01:40 PM
sandersd
Pro

I think I'll sell my tjack on CL and buy one of those with the strap...
Old 06-04-2013, 03:28 AM
healey1968
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) I used the harbor freight jack and it worked great. Even got it for less than $50 on sale one weekend.

2) That flywheel looks awful. I know you said it passed the bench test, but the contact surface has taken some abuse.

3) I think you need a pro to service your transmission or rebuild it. I doubt the clutch is causing specific gear issues.

Good luck...
Old 06-04-2013, 07:31 AM
Skootnasty
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have opened these 6 speeds to replace destroyed 2nd gears and noisy pinion bearings. The "nose cone"/gear shaft housing does not really just unbolt. If you do decide to pull the housing apart nothing will fall out on the floor, but you will hate yourself for doing it when it comes time to put it back on. It is a PITA to get all the shift rods to align into their small alignment bearings in the case before your 5 minutes of sealer working time are up. Besides that there is nothing inside the trans that would result in your condition without also making grinding noises during engagement.

Your no shift at all is clutch, external shifter, or hydraulic related.

Skoot

Last edited by Skootnasty; 06-09-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:01 AM
sandersd
Pro

Originally Posted by Skootnasty
I have opened these 6 speeds to replace 2nd destroyed 2nd gears and noisy pinion bearings. The "nose cone"/gear shaft housing does not really just unbolt. If you do decide to pull the housing apart nothing will fall out on the floor, but you will hate yourself for doing it when it comes time to put it back on. It is a PITA to get all the shift rods to align into their small alignment bearings in the case before your 5 minutes of sealer working time are up. Besides that there is nothing inside the trans that would result in your condition without also making grinding noises during engagement.

Your no shift at all is clutch, external shifter, or hydraulic related.

Skoot
Good info - Thanks! I don't think there is anything wrong internally but if it wasn't too much trouble I would have checked it. From your description I don't think I want to go there - the last thing I need in my life right now is more frustration.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:48 PM
sandersd
Pro

Default Cleaning Transmission

Name:  Photos - 283.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  261.9 KB

Name:  Photos - 285.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  144.1 KB

Name:  Photos - 291.jpg