996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Metal in filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Macster I tend to agree with you. I'm pretty certain that is what has happend. The car is running incredibly well and this is my first oil change post DEs. Then my paranoia sets in and well there goes $2400 that I would have rather spent on my suspension. Better safe than sorry as they say. FWIW most of the metal didn't appear to be ferrous only about 3-4 small pieces. I read somewhere that a coating on the oil could cause it to appear ferrous when it's really not.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:41 PM
dnitake
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

slopesider,
Don't get me wrong, but this is how my IMS started showing up. Just a little metal in the filter to begin with. I brushed it off as normal or chain tensioner, or whatever. Next oil change, I wasn't so sure. The 3rd oil change, and that was it. No more driving. I change my oil pretty often every 1K or 2 track events. I look at the filter every time. I'd shorten your oil change interval just to double check. If it is clean, then it maybe it's just be normal shedding. If it gets glittery, then it's time to take steps. IMS is ferrous and magnetic. Glitter will appear black on the magnet. Apologize if this isn't the first time you've heard this. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Slopeslider
Macster I tend to agree with you. I'm pretty certain that is what has happend. The car is running incredibly well and this is my first oil change post DEs. Then my paranoia sets in and well there goes $2400 that I would have rather spent on my suspension. Better safe than sorry as they say. FWIW most of the metal didn't appear to be ferrous only about 3-4 small pieces. I read somewhere that a coating on the oil could cause it to appear ferrous when it's really not.
Not sure what you mean about a coating on the oil could cause it to appear to be ferrous.

Either the metal is ferrous (or at least attracted to a magnet) or it is not.

Even if it is a tiny amount is not something to get all scared about.

Sure, caution is the order of the day and you have to do what you feel is right for you.

My course of action would to after the oil change run the engine at idle up to temp then remove the oil filter housing and repeat the examination of the oil filter element and oil from the housing.

If a magnet (used to have one at the tip of a knurled rod with a spring loaded blade the other end used to start small metal screws into their hole) run over the filter or stirred in the filter housing oil came out with metal stuff clinging to it... well, I'd be worried.

But if the magnet came out free of any metal...
Old 06-01-2013, 08:30 PM
7500rpm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slopeslider, you have too little metallic debris on your oil filter to worry about. I had the same amount, maybe even a little more and spoke to the country service GM. He said our engines shed a little material and that is regarded as normal wear. He said it happened most often during start up. I still cut my filters at each oil change and those tiny bits are there every time. I'd worry for about 2" and move on with my life. You can do all the things suggested by the other contributors if they'd make you feel better. If it affects your sleep, install the Guardian Angel, magnetic drain plug or just take sleeping pills.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:05 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

OK, ask yourself this. If a PPI revealed these metal bits in the filter and you were the potential buyer, would you still buy the car????

I wouldnt worry about it, I would take action, whatever is appropriate for your abilities. The OP is making the right choice since a 20K engine is at stake and it needs the IMSB serviced anyway.

You guys that wont be buying his replacement engine should not be talking him out of addressing the issue.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Thanks for all of the input. Many valid points. Honestly, I felt like the whole IMSB thing was a bit overblown. That said seeing the metal in the filter admittedly got be a bit nervous. I figure I should be doing the IMSB anyway at some point and since I'm going out on the track this coming weekend, I would enjoy it a lot more not worrying about it. It will be interesting to see what shape the current bearing is in. The car goes in first thing tomorrow to start the teardown.

Last edited by Slopeslider; 06-02-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:38 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
OK, ask yourself this. If a PPI revealed these metal bits in the filter and you were the potential buyer, would you still buy the car????

I wouldnt worry about it, I would take action, whatever is appropriate for your abilities. The OP is making the right choice since a 20K engine is at stake and it needs the IMSB serviced anyway.

You guys that wont be buying his replacement engine should not be talking him out of addressing the issue.
If I'd picked a reputable shop and they found this in the PPI and they told me it is nothing to worry about then I would have gone ahead and bought the car and not worried about it, I'm not the expert, that is the reason to hire someone competent to do the PPI. There are a ton of "experts" on here, as far as I can tell not many did their own PPI's when they bought their car. I wonder how many people argue about the findings of the PPI that they contracted for.

If I had read many of YOUR posts before buying my car and not read anyone else's and not done a lot of other research I probably would not have bought my car. I would have been erroneously led to believe it is an overpriced POS that has ridiculous parts and service costs and at risk of becoming a lawn ornament at any time. In the end I am glad that did not happen, I love my car and believe the parts and service costs are reasonable and/or cheaper than some other cars if you take the time to not just go to the dealer for everything. (Just like most other brands).

Sounds like the OP found what he found and has decided to take care of the IMS for his own peace of mind whether or not that is the (or even an) issue.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:31 PM
7500rpm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slopeslider, please keep us informed of your IMSB change. If the Internet poll is to be believed, there's a 5% chance your bearing is on its way out. Keen to see pictures and comments of your bearing. Ask to keep it as paper weight! It's probably the most talked of bearing in the world.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:21 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

there's a 5% chance your bearing is on its way out
More like 8.25%. Thats with NO symptoms. He has more of a 50% chance IMSB, 50% cam or lifter destruction.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:25 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
More like 8.25%. Thats with NO symptoms. He has more of a 50% chance IMSB, 50% cam or lifter destruction.
Wow... You just never give it a rest. I think there is a 95% chance you have less than 5% of the data needed to draw your conclusion.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:37 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lets all calm down...KK is a zealot, we all know that by reading his posts. He's also able to do all the mechanical work on his car, and the inexpensive IMSB trial he is involved with is worthy of our collective attention. Still waiting on that parts list, but fairly well documented in another thread. The OP made an informed decision and based on what his gut told him to do. It will be interesting to hear if his OEM bearing is intact and in good shape. However, that may lead to another conclusion...
Old 06-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Well stopped by the shop this afternoon and the trany was out and you could definitely see a leak from the IMSB. Looks like I made the right call. To my chagrin while the car was up on the rack noticed my front right inside of my tire is shredded. Looks like i'm tire shopping today also. Any recommendations mixed street / track and about 6-8 DEs a year? The Michelin Pilot Sport Cups are sweet but not the $1400 price tag. Tire Rack recommended the Dunlap Derrzza Z2s. A little bit better on the cost at $1036.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:27 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

What no pics? Please make sure they save the bearing for examination. Please post some pics. Some of us really enjoy folowing the repair work as its done.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

I meant to take pics and got distracted when i realized I would be buying new tires also. Went with the Dunlap Direzza Z2s.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:43 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Slopeslider
Any recommendations mixed street / track and about 6-8 DEs a year? The Michelin Pilot Sport Cups are sweet but not the $1400 price tag. Tire Rack recommended the Dunlap Derrzza Z2s. A little bit better on the cost at $1036.
I had the same thing a month ago when I received the call stating I flunked the tech inspection due to inner blocks being corded! :-/
Put on two new rears (Toyo Proxes 315x19" for $750, same as what was there before).

I had them road force balance all 4 wheels, and did a full 4 wheel alignment (mild aggressive setting), I would recommend the same for you SS.

Quick Reply: Metal in filter