996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Spoiler Position indicator light?

Old 05-23-2013, 09:58 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Smile Spoiler Position indicator light?

Does anyone have a DIY for installing an indicator light to show if the retractable spoiler is up or down? I have searched quite a bit, and there used to be a DIY for this, but all of the links I have found lead nowhere.

I know there is a vendor on EBay that sells a kit, but I was looking for DIY instructions. I like a good project.

Basically, I have a spare indicator light on my dash that will be unused after I install my OBC (on board computer) switch. I'd like to have it do SOMETHING, and this seems like a fun, albeit superfluous project.

Has anyone done this? Do you know of a write-up?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:08 AM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Hi Frisbee,

I have the DIY and an extra light/switch/indicator........(if you or anyone out there is interested).....

I have not done it, but expect to do it soon. The stuff is at home (including the written DIY).....I do not have it in electronic form, but can send to you tomorrow...

If anyone out there lives in the Raleigh area and wants to do this mod, let's do it together.....I provide the beer, Rum, garage and tools !!

Last edited by pesuazo; 05-23-2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Update.....
Old 05-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I know this can be done because I performed this mod on my Boxster over a decade ago. The problem I have is it was so long ago I can't remember how I did it.

Driving the Boxster there is no way to see the spoiler while driving the car, but in the 996 all you need to do it look in the rear view mirror, so I never saw the point in doing the same mod on my 911.

If memory serves, I found the instructions on Porsche Pete's Boxster Board (now defunct). Be forwarned that to do this mod, you need to totally remove the instrument cluster. In other words it's not a simple mod for the faint of heart.

I think the instructions may be available still on Renntech.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:32 AM
pesuazo
Pro

This mod is very similar to the OBC enabling; You may want to do both at the same time (while you are there).........

I found the write ups......see attached.......

Last edited by pesuazo; 06-18-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:43 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ray S
I know this can be done because I performed this mod on my Boxster over a decade ago. The problem I have is it was so long ago I can't remember how I did it.

Driving the Boxster there is no way to see the spoiler while driving the car, but in the 996 all you need to do it look in the rear view mirror, so I never saw the point in doing the same mod on my 911.

If memory serves, I found the instructions on Porsche Pete's Boxster Board (now defunct). Be forwarned that to do this mod, you need to totally remove the instrument cluster. In other words it's not a simple mod for the faint of heart.

I think the instructions may be available still on Renntech.

Good luck.
Yeah, I've seen lots of old references (10 years old) to this mod, but have been unable to find the detailed DIY instructions. The old links to "porsche pete's" site are broken.

On my '99 Cab, I can't see the spoiler in the rear view mirror. Maybe because it's a cab, or maybe because I'm too short?

Surely someone must have the old DIY?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Or, you just dive by any shiny, black truck and check your backside out as you pass by. That works pretty good.
The following users liked this post:
porschedog (09-12-2019)
Old 05-23-2013, 11:47 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pesuazo
This mod is very similar to the OBC enabling; You may want to do both at the same time (while you are there).........

I found the write ups......see attached.......
My plan is to do both mods while I have the instrument cluster off this weekend.

Thanks for the info, but the write-up you attached for the Spoiler Indicator are the instructions for installing the ebay "kit". I was looking for the DIY instructions from scratch (no kit).

I think there is a small bit of electronics behind the switch needed, maybe a resistor or a relay. I can handle that if I understand how the mod works.

Still looking...
Old 05-23-2013, 11:51 AM
pesuazo
Pro

Ahhhhhh...if you are familiar with electronics, you will know what to do by studying/reviewing sheet number 97 of the 996 wiring diagram....specifically coordinates H to P and 74 to 80 of that sheet !!

As a former power electronics designer.....I thought of doing it my way also, but I decided to go the easy way.....the kit already exists...
Old 05-23-2013, 11:59 AM
pesuazo
Pro

[QUOTE=frisbee91;10484773]

On my '99 Cab, I can't see the spoiler in the rear view mirror. Maybe because it's a cab, or maybe because I'm too short?"

I have the same car, I am 6'3" and I cannot see it either !!
TopPorscheFan (09-08-2019)
Old 05-23-2013, 12:36 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Or, you just dive by any shiny, black truck and check your backside out as you pass by. That works pretty good.
I've done that too! Your comment makes me think of the movie "The Incredibles". LOL

Old 05-23-2013, 06:00 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Ahhhhhh...if you are familiar with electronics, you will know what to do by studying/reviewing sheet number 97 of the 996 wiring diagram....specifically coordinates H to P and 74 to 80 of that sheet !!

As a former power electronics designer.....I thought of doing it my way also, but I decided to go the easy way.....the kit already exists...
Looks like it's Sheet #8 of the wiring diagram, not #97. Reviewing the diagram (below), it looks like I pick wire/terminal #9 on the white plug on the instrument cluster as the "spoiler extended" indicator, and #26 as the "spoiler retracted" Indicator. I'm not clear on how to use these terminals.

I'm thinking I need to set up a latching circuit so my light goes on when the spoiler is fully extended, and off when fully retracted. Will these terminals give me a +12VDC signal, or just a closed contact to ground?

Old 05-24-2013, 10:02 AM
pesuazo
Pro

You are correct....it is #8....not sure what I was looking at when I picked 97 as the sheet...

I do not think you need a latching circuit, 'cause you already have the switching done by the "Drive Spoiler".....

#9 and #26 will give you a closed loop to ground (following the trace down to the drive spoiler, you can see that it goes to GP 8 - Ground Point 8, found in coordinate D167, sheet 17) ..... to be more specific, when spoiler is up, #9 goes to ground and #26 appears to "float"....when the spoiler is down, #26 goes to ground and #9 floats....

A simple circuit with an LED connecting the anode to a switched +12 will turn it on when extended (off when retracted).......or better yet, a dual color LED (common anode), red or green or orange when up, red or green or orange when down......do not forget to place a series resistor on the anode......

You could really get fancy and play with different combinations.....

Last edited by pesuazo; 05-24-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:01 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I just look out the rearview mirror :/
porschedog (09-12-2019)
Old 05-28-2013, 11:36 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

...#9 and #26 will give you a closed loop to ground (following the trace down to the drive spoiler, you can see that it goes to GP 8 - Ground Point 8, found in coordinate D167, sheet 17) ..... to be more specific, when spoiler is up, #9 goes to ground and #26 appears to "float"....when the spoiler is down, #26 goes to ground and #9 floats....

A simple circuit with an LED connecting the anode to a switched +12 will turn it on when extended (off when retracted).......or better yet, a dual color LED (common anode), red or green or orange when up, red or green or orange when down......do not forget to place a series resistor on the anode.....
Thanks. I can handle the wiring, but I'm not much of a circuit designer.
Have I captured this correctly in my diagram below? What size resistor should I use?

Old 05-28-2013, 12:13 PM
pesuazo
Pro

Depending on the how bright you want the LED and/or the specs of the LED....usually a 10K resistor will do....your circuit looks good !!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spoiler Position indicator light?