What is my car worth? 2002 C4s

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 02:27 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What is my car worth? 2002 C4s

So I had a little disheartening discovery today. On Saturday I had a bad misfire, so had it towed to my shop. I thought it was something simple like an MAF or O2 sensor since it acted the same way it did the last time my O2 sensor went bad. Had a family trip planned on sunday so quickly looked at it and found a bad O2 sensor... No big deal. Went on my trip, came back got an O2 sensor and thought my problems were solved. WRONG. still missing. tested O2's all were fine now, tested MAF, was good as well. Then tested fuel pressure and it read good, so nest was spark. tested coil packs and harnesses to coil packs all were good. This was getting a little more difficult. ran the car for a while and took the laser thermometer to the exhaust manifold to find which cylinders were missing. Turned out to be number 6. pulled the number 6 plug and it was covered in fuel, but after cleaning it it was not fouled. I figured clean out the cylinder with the air gun and try again. I got a face full of coolant. I then assumed head gasket. but after talking to other shops and such I learnt that the probability of it was low so I took the Boroscope to is and found it D-chunked

So either new motor or rebuild. I found pricing and time wait to not be very good. dealership quoted me $25,500 + $19,000 core that may not be returned for a remanned motor. LN and Motor Meister were quoting alright pricing for a 3.8 build but the wait is longer than I want. The fiance made me a proposition that I seemed a lot better. Get rid of the C4s, get rid of the Civic, and I am allowed to buy a 997 GT3 Now I need to figure out what my car is worth, and what I can get for it. (Will not part it, since I am too emotionally attached and don't have the time)

Here are the details

2002 Porsche Carrera 4s
Canadian Car 3rd owner
114,000km = 70,800 miles
6 speed
Black on Black
Sport Seats
Turbo wheels

The Good:
-New clutch, pressure plate, all the bearings associated with it and machined flywheel done 5000km ago with OEM parts
-Transmission recently serviced and in good shape, no grinds
-Diff's recently serviced again good shape and new fluid
-Drive shafts in good condition no play
-Cats in good shape as far as I can tell
-PSE hacked mufflers that are properly tig welded with turbo tips
-OEM Exhaust tips
-K & N Intake used for about 5,000km
-Front brakes (pads and rotors OEM) done at 99,000km with 80%, rears at 30-40% Finish on calipers isn't great though
-H&R lowering springs with OEM struts in good condition
-Turbo wheels in good condition except rear passenger which could use refinish
-Brand new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires 295/30R18 and 225/40R18 less than 100km
-50% left on Dunlop Winter Sport 3D tires 285/35R18 and 225/45R18
-Interior in pretty near mint condition save a couple stretches on back seat leathers and paint chip on driver door car storage silver paint
-OEM Bose speaker system
-Pioneer Double Din DVD Nav unit
-Porsche OE Carbon Fiber shift ****
- OEM Porsche leather shift **** never used
-Power Sport Seats, unpainted backs, Passenger in near mint condition, driver has some bholster wear, but no cracking or anything serious (I am just very picky)
-Newer headlight assemblies
-Air bags never deployed
-3spoke steering wheel

The Bad:
-Obviously motor is shot, but has had a lot of recent maintenance
-Side skirts are the unpainted style, Passenger side has a crack, driver side missing a chunk from driving over a curb
- Front bumper is cracked, staff member backed a truck into it
-1 door ding on passenger side door, no paint chip though
-Misc scuffs and swirls from driving a car, most can be taken out with a good cut and polish
-Some of the under trays are cracked and missing. Again typical driving on ****ty roads
-2 comprehensive insurance claims
1) 2006 ($5000) repaint front end and replace headlight assemblies due to typical rock chipping (have invoice)
2) 2008 ($6000) Deer accident, deer ran into car while stopped smashed driverside windows, mirror, tore leather in back seat, 1 dent in rear quarter, 1 on door, and micro abrasions in paint

Like I said, I am not willing to part it, I don't want to invest any more money into it, and I dont want to have to sit on it for months. Given the above info, what do you guys think I could get for the car?

Also if it makes a difference, the car is Canadian, and located in Alberta at the moment.

Thanks

Jordan
Old 05-23-2013, 04:04 AM
PcarDrmr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow! sorry to hear about that... terrible news. probably $10k maybe less for a roller...
Old 05-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Too bad about your D chunk Jordan. From time to time there seem to be people interested in rollers so they can strip and modify for the track. I'd also suggest posting in the racers forum. GL The above price sounds like a starting point.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Old 05-23-2013, 10:09 AM
mmahon04
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) Check out EBS Racing.
2) Stay the hell away from Motor Meister. Go Google them yourself...it's a little shop of horrors.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:34 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry about your engine. I'd say $8k to $9k is the best you could hope for.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Agree with Quadcammer unfortunately. With the repair history, wear and tear listed and d chunked motor $8000 is heartbraking but accurate in my opinion.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:16 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would it worth a little more in canada?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:51 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pl
The retail difference in you average new or used car is 20-30% more for a Canadian vehicle than the same one down in the states. Not sure if it applies to Rollers though
Old 05-23-2013, 12:03 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

If you need permission from your fiance to buy your own car, a blown up 996 is the least of your problems. Just kidding. It only get worse after your married.

I thought the D-chunk issue was mostly the early model 3.4's and had been sorted out. Man thats depressing. Now Im going to be forced to drop my engine sooner than planned.

I would like to have your car for a rebuild if you decide.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:08 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Used 3.6 hover around 6-7K, might be better than taking a huge loss on the thing.

First 3.6L D chunk I've heard of. Could be an early casting process or something (02?)
Old 05-23-2013, 12:19 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pl
Originally Posted by halik
Used 3.6 hover around 6-7K, might be better than taking a huge loss on the thing.

First 3.6L D chunk I've heard of. Could be an early casting process or something (02?)
The Idea of a used motor scares me since I have no clue as to maintenance or condition of the motor, I could just be asking for problems once it is installed. Plus for the same money I can have the motor resleeved to OE spec, of an extra $2000 have it built to a 3.8L. Either way I am pretty set on dumping the car and looking for a GT3, if I fix it, I fix it to keep it and fix everything right. which I cant really justify
Old 05-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,471 Likes on 810 Posts

LS swap.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by halik

Really? add another to list. In my case it was a valve seat that failed and created the d chunk, or so i was told. Only way to tell is it start tearing the motor apart.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:47 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Aha! So its the 3.4 and the "early" 3.6's.

Quick Reply: What is my car worth? 2002 C4s