LN Engineering Oil Filter Adapter - Oil Pressure Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 12:27 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default LN Engineering Oil Filter Adapter - Oil Pressure Question

Hi All,
Just installed the LN filter adapter with Napa Gold 1042 (recommended). Beautifully made piece and simple install. Immediately after install I noticed that the max oil pressure is 4.5 - 4.75 (per dash gauge).

My suspicion was that the adapter has some effect on pressure from being full filtration (LN confirmed this)

I'm wondering if anyone else with the adapter has switched filters to a comparable K&N or SS mesh and seen an increase in pressure?

Also, I switched to 5W-40 oil for what thats worth

Thanks in advance
Old 05-22-2013, 04:58 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What was it before? I don't recall any change in oil pressure when I installed mine 5 years ago. It's still pegged when it is cold and rpms are up and after it warms up normal cruising is around 3 with idle around 1.5. I use the other recommend filter, the Mobil One, with 5w-40 Syntec. I used the NAPA the first time (it came with it), but I like the specs and construction of the Mobil one better. Also, I can usually talk the Advance Auto guys into ginving me credit towards the Mobil one when they have an oil sale that includes a filter I can't/won't use.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:08 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Prior to install the pressure would be at 5 upon cold start, and above 3000 RPM.

There is no delay in pressure getting up to 4.5-4.75 just now it stops there. Was wondering if it might be flow limitations on the filter itself rather than the adapter part
Old 05-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Why not ask LN?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:37 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,170 Likes on 749 Posts

I installed the LN adapter several years ago. I use either the K&N or Mobil 1 oil filters, depending on availability. I have noticed no change in oil pressure using either filter. Agree with perryinva on the driving aspects vs. oil pressure. Cold it's going to peg the gage, warm it varies with engine speed. What do you want? Seems like if the car is warmed up and running 3-4,000 RPM the oil pressure at 4.5-4.75 is exactly what you want. You can easily swap out the oil filter and not lose much oil if you want to test various oil filters. The viscosity of the oil is going to make a difference as well...cold vs hot. With 5W-40, until the oil heats up it is a 5W oil, then at full temperature it is a 40W oil. That is a large spread and will make a huge difference in observed oil pressure. Just my thoughts, but it sounds like you are good.

Some information on various oil filters - http://wetwesties1.tripod.com/oilfilterstudy/

Some additional thoughts - select a filter with no bypass valve so you get 100% filtration all the time, cold or at high pressure. The Mobil 1 filter I use has no bypass valve. Study the original equipment filter...it provides 100% filtration and has no bypass valve built into it. The cold oil bypass is internal to the engine.

Last edited by DBJoe996; 05-23-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: added website and additional thoughts
Old 05-23-2013, 12:05 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Why not ask LN?
Because thats too easy and makes more sense. We are all better off to lament about our 996 woes here.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
I installed the LN adapter several years ago. I use either the K&N or Mobil 1 oil filters, depending on availability. I have noticed no change in oil pressure using either filter. Agree with perryinva on the driving aspects vs. oil pressure. Cold it's going to peg the gage, warm it varies with engine speed. What do you want? Seems like if the car is warmed up and running 3-4,000 RPM the oil pressure at 4.5-4.75 is exactly what you want. You can easily swap out the oil filter and not lose much oil if you want to test various oil filters. The viscosity of the oil is going to make a difference as well...cold vs hot. With 5W-40, until the oil heats up it is a 5W oil, then at full temperature it is a 40W oil. That is a large spread and will make a huge difference in observed oil pressure. Just my thoughts, but it sounds like you are good.

Some information on various oil filters - http://wetwesties1.tripod.com/oilfilterstudy/

Some additional thoughts - select a filter with no bypass valve so you get 100% filtration all the time, cold or at high pressure. The Mobil 1 filter I use has no bypass valve. Study the original equipment filter...it provides 100% filtration and has no bypass valve built into it. The cold oil bypass is internal to the engine.
What is that spring loaded part at the bottom of the filter housing? I thought that was the bypass valve.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:56 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

I think it depends on the year/model...some had a bypass valve and some don't. So I think you are correct if that is what you are seeing in the OE filter canister. Changing over to the LN adapter, they recommend a no bypass filter with the adapter and that is what I use since the engine has a built in bypass.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I think it depends on the year/model...some had a bypass valve and some don't. So I think you are correct if that is what you are seeing in the OE filter canister. Changing over to the LN adapter, they recommend a no bypass filter with the adapter and that is what I use since the engine has a built in bypass.
My OE plastic filter canister is just a simple container w/o any springs/valves. Yours is different?
Old 05-23-2013, 05:17 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Mine was like yours Ahsai, simple plastic filter canister no springs or valves.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:38 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My oil pressure pegged at 5+ when cold before and after the filter adapter. No change. I'm pretty sure (IIRC from my research when I bought mine 5 years ago) that the adapter defeats the engine bypass, and provides 100% filtration with the Mobil One, Napa Gold, K&N, etc that are recommended. The bypass valve in those filters will ony open if the filter is so clogged that high back pressure forces it open. Not something we would normally worry about, it's a "any oil is better than none" safety feature. Regular canister filters like Perolators or Frams have (or did for years) a cheaper low pressure silicone or rubber flap bypass, so when the oil is cold and just a little thick it bypasses a percentage right off the bat, and usually always dribble a little by all the time even warm, which most feel is undesireable, especially in these cars.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:21 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Mine was like yours Ahsai, simple plastic filter canister no springs or valves.
Nothing in the bottom when you look into it? Yours looks like an ordinary cup?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:30 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

First, thanks for the responses. I appreciate the feedback, and Perry's experience is slightly different than mine so it seems my concern is not unfounded. My pressure never goes above 4.75 cold or hot, which is why I was leaning towards a restriction from filter design. I may just try and pop on a K&N to see if there is a difference.

DBJoe996 - Thanks for the link

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Because thats too easy and makes more sense. We are all better off to lament about our 996 woes here.
Krazy + Imo - in fact I did state that LN confirmed the pressure drop in the original post. Read more carefully before deriding someone's concern over their car, especially you K =)
Old 05-26-2013, 10:57 AM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Update: I installed K&N HP - 1007 yesterday. The pressure is ever so slightly higher and almost at a full 5 (maybe 4.85) at start up and higher revs.

Not the complete fix I was hoping for, but a slight improvement and seems to point to the filter being the limiting factor.

I am contemplating a SS mesh filter down the road which may resolve the issue completely. Will post updates when I install
Old 05-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

What makes you think there actually is a problem? If there is adequate pressure then nothing else really matters, even if its slightly less than before. If LN said this is OK then why not trust them?

Quick Reply: LN Engineering Oil Filter Adapter - Oil Pressure Question