996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

All IMS Engines will fail?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 05:11 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

When these cars lose their engines they become "bankrupt cars" instantly.
Since the early 996s are getting cheap and the engines are very expensive, makes this some exciting times for the DIYer gearheads.
You guys know some here hate logic. Once again some very good posts about the 996. It has become a DIY'ers car and the non-mechanic really has no business owning one, unless of course he has the "bottomless wallet" to compliment the "bottomless money pit" 996. Everytime I raise mine I find something else I should replace and its one of the lower mileage MKII versions.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
You guys know some here hate logic. Once again some very good posts about the 996. It has become a DIY'ers car and the non-mechanic really has no business owning one, unless of course he has the "bottomless wallet" to compliment the "bottomless money pit" 996. Everytime I raise mine I find something else I should replace and its one of the lower mileage MKII versions.
It's only low mileage because you don't drive it.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:46 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The people that truly love these cars spend the required money for engines more frequently than you'd think. Of the Porsches that we have on site now with their engines filling our build boards on 2-3 of them are actually "worth" more than the owner is spending on the engine. Oddly enough those are the guys who have done the work electively before they experienced any symptoms or a failure. These are generally the 06-08 cars, but we have many 99 and other early models populating those build boards, too. Every one of them (early cars) is worth less than the engine thats going into them, and you'll never see one of them for sale.

These vehicles are very robust and some people believe that you can't buy a new car thats built as well for the same money that our engine costs. Thats usually why people go the reconstructed engine route, because they want to keep the car for a long, long time.

When these cars lose their engines they become "bankrupt cars" instantly. A Porsche with a broken heart isn't very valuable.
Can't argue with that - you do it because you have a passion for the car. Doesn't make it a smart move financially but if I loved the car enough I would do it too.

Quick Reply: All IMS Engines will fail?