996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Blown Engine 2002 3.6

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Shop will be checking cams on Monday . First impression was not good by shop. When I pulled over the rpm were very low making a lot of clunk clunk clunk noise.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris996
P0300 p0301p0302 p0303 p1341 p0344
Shop will be checking cams on Monday . First impression was not good by shop. When I pulled over the rpm were very low making a lot of clunk clunk clunk noise.
The clunking noise may be from the dual mass flywheel when the engine was heavily misfiring. Good luck and let us know. It's a beautiful car you have there.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:22 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

When I pulled over the rpm were very low making a lot of clunk clunk clunk noise.
so car was DRIVEable? I automatically assumed it was flatbedded. Best of luck.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by kromdom
so car was DRIVEable? I automatically assumed it was flatbedded. Best of luck.
I hope it wasn't driven. If so, the chances of any repair are decreased by thousands of percent. People try so hard to avoid a 200 dollar tow bill that they spend 20K to drive it to the shop.

There's a few hundred things that could have happened, process of elimination is the only way to diagnose.

After the cam timing is checked pull the sump plate, its the window to the soul of the engine. Most all the answers can be found after its removed.

FYI- If there's a chance it may come to us don't allow anyone to disassemble it, else it'll have to be reassembled 100% before it is accepted.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

I costed to the side of the road . Tried to restart but would not fire up. Flat bed to shop. Driver dropped off at wrong shop. Had to reload an take to p-shop. By the time there the porsche mechanic was gone for the day. Shop manager said he tried to start and it didn't sound good, may need new engine.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Wow. Not what I'd expect from a shop that's familiar with engine failures. Here we never attempt to start a car that had any symptoms like this until after we quantify where the issue is concentrated. If engines end with a mechanical sound, starting it up is just going to kill any light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:48 PM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Yes, I would agree....
Old 05-13-2013, 11:00 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

As Jake mentioned, if the shop that has the car now is going to start any tear down to diagnose the problem and then you decide to send it to Jake, or elsewhere, for whatever reason; make sure the shop re-assembles the engine. Any indi hates when they are given hand me down work because the previous mechanic couldn't finish what was started.
It might be worthwhile to ask the tech plenty of questions on the initial tear down and would be ideal to get pics as work progresses; i.e., timing chains in place, camshafts, valves, sprockets, pistons, etc....
Old 05-13-2013, 11:20 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This car is such a nice clean 996 I vote to save it. Do as Jake said, pull the sump plate.

Solutions:
1. If the engine can be repaired, start reading and do it yourself.
2. If the engine can not be repaired, there are many low mileage 3.6's from salvage cars. Fix the common issues before you install one.
3. Sell the car to me and I will do it.

Alternate and last resort:
1. Pay Jake many $$$$ for one of his custom builds.
2. LSx swap.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Chris, sorry to hear of your misfortune. Very nicely kept 996 by the way. I had a similiar issue with my car a couple years back. I elected to rebore and upgrade to LN 3.8 opposed to buying a used motor with unknown health and service intervals. PM me for details if interested.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Your cab appears much nicer and cleaner than most. I'd say having a correct engine diagnosis is key to help you decide. Sorry to hear about it though.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I feel your pain........literally.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Now I maybe wrong and I hope I am because this post is defo gonna upset someone if I am not. The car doesn't look anything like a stock car. It looks like it has had radical mods done to it. My guess is that the engine has had so much unwanted things added to it in an effort to make it react meaner, sound louder and the Porsche designed engine kicked up about it and simply gave up the ghost. I love the outside appearance of the car and can accept the mods I see but its the mods like cats and cross over pipes which effect the smooth running of the car that worry me. What was added to the actual stock engine? I also see a pool of something on the floor at the front end of one of the photos. A radiator leak maybe. That's only a little part of the problem in MHO. These cars are better left as designed but I may as well talk to the wall. And before anyone chips in saying I have other issues in my life. No I simply speak my honest thoughts on this matter. These engines don't BLOW UP for no good reason what so ever. They are coaxed into blowing up by the owners. Wheres that brick wall again
Old 05-13-2013, 01:47 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Now I maybe wrong and I hope I am because this post is defo gonna upset someone if I am not. The car doesn't look anything like a stock car. It looks like it has had radical mods done to it. My guess is that the engine has had so much unwanted things added to it in an effort to make it react meaner, sound louder and the Porsche designed engine kicked up about it and simply gave up the ghost. I love the outside appearance of the car and can accept the mods I see but its the mods like cats and cross over pipes which effect the smooth running of the car that worry me. What was added to the actual stock engine? I also see a pool of something on the floor at the front end of one of the photos. A radiator leak maybe. That's only a little part of the problem in MHO. These cars are better left as designed but I may as well talk to the wall. And before anyone chips in saying I have other issues in my life. No I simply speak my honest thoughts on this matter. These engines don't BLOW UP for no good reason what so ever. They are coaxed into blowing up by the owners. Wheres that brick wall again
Where is that glass of coolaid. I need some.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Hey , thanks for all the advice.... will be checking with the shop today. I have the car at RMS Services in Chantilly VA. http://www.rmsservicesva.com/

Quick Reply: Blown Engine 2002 3.6