Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IMS Flange replaced but not the bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 06:08 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

If they removed the outer seal on the original (1 or 2 row???) bearing, that would be good.Any mention of that ? From the part # of the replacement flange on the Invoice , you may learn which bearing you have ?From your MY of 2003 it is probably a single. Others may have better suggestions.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:13 PM
WeakestLink
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the section of the invoice that shows the parts used. There is a part number for a "SEAL RING 27 x 3" but I'm not sure if that means anything. Why would it be good if they removed the outer seal? Thanks again for your input.

Name:  IMSparts_zps6nxjcpnq.jpg
Views: 6601
Size:  281.9 KB

Last edited by WeakestLink; 06-02-2017 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:22 AM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by WeakestLink
Here is the section of the invoice that shows the parts used. There is a part number for a "SEAL RING 27 x 3" but I'm not sure if that means anything. Why would it be good if they removed the outer seal? Thanks again for your input.
Removing the outer seal of the IMSB allows oil to splash in and lubricate the bearing.

Many believe that if you don't change the bearing then removing the seal on the existing one improves longevity.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:59 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by WeakestLink
... Before I purchased, the BMW dealer confirmed with the Porsche dealer that the IMS retrofit had been completed in 2015. ...
I doubt you will find a Porsche dealership that will install an aftermarket IMS bearing kit.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:52 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
I doubt you will find a Porsche dealership that will install an aftermarket IMS bearing kit.
Porsche dealers will install and even recommend...they just won't provide any warranty. In fact most dealers will install anything you ask them to. My dealer recommended the IMSB be replaced and provided me a quote to do so but I opted for the Solution installed by a certified shop.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:07 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Originally Posted by billh1963
Removing the outer seal of the IMSB allows oil to splash in and lubricate the bearing.

Many believe that if you don't change the bearing then removing the seal on the existing one improves longevity.
,,,because the grease in the original bearing leaks out when(not if) the seals fail. So it makes sense to provide an oil bath for the bearing by removing the outer seal.This is exactly what most new IMSB kits do and have done for years. It is not so much belief as proven field results from thousands of IMSB retrofitted cars.Obviously an upgraded ,new IMS bearing is a way more intelligent alternative but in this case, the OP got neither it seems.YEMV
Old 06-02-2017, 03:35 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
,,,because the grease in the original bearing leaks out when(not if) the seals fail. So it makes sense to provide an oil bath for the bearing by removing the outer seal.This is exactly what most new IMSB kits do and have done for years. It is not so much belief as proven field results from thousands of IMSB retrofitted cars.Obviously an upgraded ,new IMS bearing is a way more intelligent alternative but in this case, the OP got neither it seems.YEMV
I said "believe" to avoid the sh!tstorm that ensues when anyone states anything as the absolute truth on the 996 forum.

I believe that removing the seal is a good thing. However, others may not so I am covering my bases
Old 06-02-2017, 04:33 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jaystudios
So I'm new to the community, have been researching here, and now close to pulling the trigger on an '02 C2.

I've pulled the maintenance records from the dealer, where even tires were replaced/serviced by the owner. While I had the service advisor on the phone, I asked more pointed questions of the data dump that he sent me.

The RMS was replaced in '06-- what is the typical service life of these? The PPI will of course reveal its integrity now, but I wanted to see if there was a rule of thumb (other than if it ain't broke don't fix it).

So here's the peculiar part: in the same RMS service above, the dealer replaced the IMS Flange (according to the service notes), but not the IMS bearing itself. Does that strike you all as a bit odd? Or was the IMS bearing issue not yet known and infamous in '06? Was the design of the flange in the '02 MY flawed somehow? Why would the dealer skip the bearing-- the labor is done and the part inexpensive. I can only assume the bearing was pulled and determined to be sound enough to reinstall the existing one.

Thanks for your advice, and I hope to be a 996 owner soon.
Agree with what others have said. I have service records that state almost the exact same as yours. Car was in to fix an RMS leak and I think it was SOP to replace the IMS flange/seal at the same time to update that seal and reduce the odds that the car comes back in again complaining of a new RMS leak.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:45 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Originally Posted by billh1963
I said "believe" to avoid the sh!tstorm that ensues when anyone states anything as the absolute truth on the 996 forum.

I believe that removing the seal is a good thing. However, others may not so I am covering my bases
Understood. Fortunately the aforementioned scatological skeptics are absent from this Thread -so far :-)
Old 06-02-2017, 09:22 PM
shawn_nj
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer here said only IMS bearing replacement they will do, is a full motor tear down with an OEM replacement....For 12k.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:58 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

^ and that is why they are called "stealerships"
Old 06-02-2017, 11:37 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shawn_nj
My dealer here said only IMS bearing replacement they will do, is a full motor tear down with an OEM replacement....For 12k.
Which means they will only install a Porsche part. In this case, the larger 997.1 single row bearing that requires the case to be split.

I will be stopping at my local Porsche dealership tomorrow to get an oil filter. I will ask the service department if they will install an LN Engineering bearing or the IMS Solution, which requires notching the case for the oil line.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:56 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Which means they will only install a Porsche part. In this case, the larger 997.1 single row bearing that requires the case to be split.

I will be stopping at my local Porsche dealership tomorrow to get an oil filter. I will ask the service department if they will install an LN Engineering bearing or the IMS Solution, which requires notching the case for the oil line.
A dealership is not the best place to have this work done. Remember, dealers said that replacing the IMS Bearing was impossible. Dealers seldom register their installs, seldom follow our directives, and often have installation complications that others do not.

These cars are too old to go to the dealer, anyway.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:07 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

I went to the Porsche dealer in Greenville SC today to pickup an oil filter ($32!), so I can do a rush oil change this weekend. I spoke to one of the service managers while I was there. He stated that they would be willing to install an aftermarket bearing that he sourced, since there was no Porsche alternative. To him, cracking the case to install the larger M97 single row bearing was not a realistic alternative. I asked about the IMS Solution and some of the other bearings that require the engine case to be notched to install an oil line and he said absolutely not. They would not make any modifications to the case.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:10 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 67 Posts

I went to the Porsche dealer in Greenville SC today to pickup an oil filter ($32!), so I can do a rush oil change this weekend. I spoke to one of the service managers while I was there. He stated that they would be willing to install an aftermarket bearing that he sourced, since there was no Porsche alternative. To him, cracking the case to install the larger M97 single row bearing was not a realistic alternative. I asked about the IMS Solution and some of the other bearings that require the engine case to be notched to install an oil line and he said absolutely not. They would not make any modifications to the case.
Dunno if you have pepboys over there, but my local one stocked a purilator (sp?) 996 filter, I think it was around $10 or $12

Quick Reply: IMS Flange replaced but not the bearing?