Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Got to change my Rennlist signature today...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 04:03 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
I think it will suffer the same fate as the tape stripes as soon as I get my hands on it.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:45 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome to the black 996 club.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:10 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Thanks white out. By the way, did anybody ever tell you your engine looks kinda funny? Like it's got a couple of extra cylinders or something.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:40 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

The car finally arrived via open transport this morning from Boston. It was filthy from the trip, but cleaned right up. PO covered the entire front end in wax before he put it on the transport. Don't know how much help that is, but certainly didn't hurt anything. Everything was as advertised. Car drove really well. Sounds great, gobs of power, the full leather interior was in very nice condition. Basically everything as it was promised. Silly grin on face as I drove to the office - much more interesting drive today than in the S430 4matic.
Definitely am getting rid of the tape stripes and red gearshift **** as they actually look worse in person than they did in the photos. Krazy said to let the car sit in the sun before trying to remove the tape stripes. Any other suggestions from anyone?
I think the PO just painted the silver part of the gearshift **** red. Any thoughts on removing the paint or best just to order a new gearshift ****?
Old 05-13-2013, 04:32 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Get a hair dryer on the stripes to loosen the adhesives. Use Goo Gone(NOT Goof Off) to remove any additional adhesive residue.

As for the ****, try using nail polish remover and cotton ***** at first. Lot of the cheaper paint will come off with this combo. Else, I would sand the red down and respray with metallic silver paint if you don't want to spring for a new ****.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:53 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on purchase it looks like you found a great example at a stellar price Now you just need some Clear Side Markers and Smokers Delete kit.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:16 PM
jml8785
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alpine003 has it right. Hair dryer should work fine. Pull the stripes at more than a 90 degree angle to the car. Pull slowly and most of the adhesive will stay on the vinyl. Makes for easier clean up. A heat gun will work too but needs to be an adjustable temp one. Run it on low so you don't hurt the paint. Really, as Krazy said, the sun on a black car works best. The entire job is heated and ready for peeling rather than chasing it with a heat gun or hair dryer.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:59 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Krazy said to let the car sit in the sun before trying to remove the tape stripes. Any other suggestions from anyone?
Congrates on the "new" car. Nice deal.

I bought a heat gun from Harbor Freight for less than $15. Work great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-wa...112-96289.html

Old 05-14-2013, 09:42 AM
fast996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great lookin aero! enjoy the new car
Old 05-15-2013, 02:00 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Congrats on purchase it looks like you found a great example at a stellar price Now you just need some Clear Side Markers and Smokers Delete kit.
Done - just ordered both items. Thanks for the link - you already had both items set up for me - very cool. Surfed around on your website and I see lots of great stuff for future projects. Thanks for being a Rennlist sponsor!

Got the tape stripes off. They came off very easily thanks to all of the suggestions. Stripping the shift **** turned out to be a no-go. I ended up just using some silver nail polish to cover up the red temporarily (still looks bad) and am looking for a new shift ****.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:54 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Done - just ordered both items. Thanks for the link - you already had both items set up for me - very cool. Surfed around on your website and I see lots of great stuff for future projects. Thanks for being a Rennlist sponsor!

Got the tape stripes off. They came off very easily thanks to all of the suggestions. Stripping the shift **** turned out to be a no-go. I ended up just using some silver nail polish to cover up the red temporarily (still looks bad) and am looking for a new shift ****.
Thank you for the support, it's much appreciated. If there is anything you need help with or have a question about feel free to PM me. I bet it looks a lot better after those stickers were removed. We do offer a few different options if you can't find a used Shift ****. For more information Click Here.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats on your Porsche. You sound excited about your purchase and should. now you can post without any regrets.

Quick Reply: Got to change my Rennlist signature today...