Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Any recommendations on a low profile floor jack?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 10:05 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
There are threads with this topic before. I use an OTC aluminum jack OTC 1532 2-Ton Capacity Aluminum Racing Jack : Amazon.com : Automotive You can get one with a similar spec but cheaper at harborfreight. I like it because it's low enough for a non-lowered car and light enough to carry and move around easily @43lb. The other best bang for the buck is the Arcan XL35R jack from Costco (~$99). Good even for lowered car, very sturdy but heavier @100lb.
+1 and it's light and easy to lift. I have 2 of them....
Old 05-02-2013, 10:17 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
There are threads with this topic before. I use an OTC aluminum jack OTC 1532 2-Ton Capacity Aluminum Racing Jack : Amazon.com : Automotive You can get one with a similar spec but cheaper at harborfreight. I like it because it's low enough for a non-lowered car and light enough to carry and move around easily @43lb. The other best bang for the buck is the Arcan XL35R jack from Costco (~$99). Good even for lowered car, very sturdy but heavier @100lb.
Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
+1 and it's light and easy to lift. I have 2 of them....
+1 more. OTC's are very nice. Worth the extra money in my opinion.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:31 AM
RyanRogen
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have OTC Aluminum Racing Jack Kit . This is a really nice high end all aluminum floor jack. You tend to get what you pay for here. It is very easy to move around and you can get it up to full height in just 5 or 6 quick pumps. What a really nice design here by OTC products on this two-ton floor jack.The best thing about this jack was how incredibly lightweight it is. It is made of mostly heavy duty aluminum construction
Old 04-04-2017, 09:54 AM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanRogen
I have OTC Aluminum Racing Jack Kit . This is a really nice high end all aluminum floor jack. You tend to get what you pay for here. It is very easy to move around and you can get it up to full height in just 5 or 6 quick pumps. What a really nice design here by OTC products on this two-ton floor jack.The best thing about this jack was how incredibly lightweight it is. It is made of mostly heavy duty aluminum construction

while I don't consider OTC tools high end, or even medium end for that matter, I can finally sleep at night. This question has been bugging me since 2013. I can't tell you how many sleepless nights have past, but thankfully you came along and solved my problem. I sure others will thank you for scratching that seven year itch
Old 04-04-2017, 09:54 AM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I should add I plan on tackling cold fusion today, I did stay in a holiday inn last night
Old 04-04-2017, 09:58 AM
dedens
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased the 3 ton Low Profile Steel Heavy Duty Floor Jack from HF last year. Its a great jack especially at the price point. In fact, I purchased a second jack a couple of months ago when I replaced my AOS.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:26 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by m3driver
while I don't consider OTC tools high end, or even medium end for that matter, I can finally sleep at night. This question has been bugging me since 2013. I can't tell you how many sleepless nights have past, but thankfully you came along and solved my problem. I sure others will thank you for scratching that seven year itch
I saw WHAT YOU DID HERE
Old 04-04-2017, 12:40 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for the HF low profile steel jack ... I picked up two for $59 each a couple years ago. They fit easily under the car. No complaints so far.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:48 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,857 Likes on 1,523 Posts

Love these necro-threads...

To update post #4, my HF alum is now 14 years old and still going strong...
Old 04-04-2017, 02:08 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I have a craftsman low profile aluminum jack. Maybe 2 ton? Not 100% sure. I've probably had it 10+ years and believe it was about $200 new. Its been OK but not perfect. My biggest complain is that the piston the handle pushes down constantly gets stuck on its way back up about half way - really frustrating and not what I'd expect for the price. Not sure if this is a function of the spring not being strong enough or something else. Now, its also started to leak.

It also has a single, really wide, roller on the front that is a bit annoying because its more prone to getting caught on little pebbles when rolling it around. It looks like they've revised that design though.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:09 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

HF 3 ton at around $80 on sale is a winner
Its heavy, but low and long. Works great
Old 04-04-2017, 10:45 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When these jacks start to leak oil and cease lifting the car, is there any way to refill, or are they just trash at that point, and time to buy a new one?
Old 04-04-2017, 11:40 PM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The Chinese jacks are pretty much throw-aways when they are done. OTC, HW, AC, Snap-on are all rebuildable. Here's what I bought to get under my GT3 as the others weren't low enough:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...iption=ac+jack Part #: TOL-13HLQ

A big difference in jack quality is being able to modulate lowering speed. Cheap jacks tend to be on/off and the better jacks will let you control how fast your baby comes down.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:53 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My HF 3 ton el-cheapo has great lowering speed adjustment
Old 04-05-2017, 12:00 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JayG
My HF 3 ton el-cheapo has great lowering speed adjustment
i just got one a few weeks ago and I find that if you try to control that dial when the arm is straight up its hard, but if you have the arm lowered its far easier to gradually let it down

for the money its well worth it though, its so much better than the other jacks I have had, and you dont have to worry about anyone stealing it because its to heavy lol

Quick Reply: Any recommendations on a low profile floor jack?