996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Purchased First Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Warranty is directly from Porsche 6 years after the factory warranty?? if so very wise choice by you.
Low mileage cars, and this definitely qualifies, can be a question mark. These engines need to be driven hard, driven often and driven on at least one long drive to get out all the buildup. I know some of the 3.4 996's had big issues if gingerly driven.
If you plan only to own this car for the warranty period, get on it and shake out the sleeping gremlins.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Bud4ya
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you I got your message in another post on the clear side markers. I will order those today. I wanted to speak with someone about tuning too. Is there a specific person I speak to when I call in?

Thanks

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
That's pretty Love the color.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Bud4ya
AutoX

Well I installed the clear side markers today I got from ECS and it looks much better.

Now I took the air filter out and it is a bit dirty. I was going to replace it with a K&N filter but from what I was reading it was not highly suggested. From what I cold see the BMC filter is the way to go. Does that sound right? I am just looking for more sound thinking a performance filter will provide that.

Now if I do the BMC filter if that is what everyone suggest should I do the cheap airbox mod with PVC pipe and cap. Not to sound like an idiot but I still don't understand how that mods works. Maybe I just haven't come across the best DIY yet. Try to find it via a vid or step by step with pic. I am hoping with a performance filter and cheap air box mode that will make it sound a little better maybe pick up 1 or 2 hp too.

Then after I get the air box stuff done it sounds like the FisterD exhaust system is the way to go.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Gruson
Instructor

Nice ride! I actually love the front headlights of the 996. Those are my favorites even though most people hate them. I'm hoping to find a low mile Speed Yellow cab soon!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:28 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm
Instructor

nice clean low mileage sample you got there. go out at enjoy her!!!

bty if you want a K&N FIPK I will sell you one for dirt cheap, I only had it on the car for a short time and now that I am going turbo i have no use for it. I just need to make sure all the parts and pieces are there. they say there is a 23hp gain but i call BS maybe 2 to 3 hp but not 23...LOL However it did sound mean with it on. I also have the factory pse exhaust.

ether way this is a picture of what the k&n looks like
Old 04-19-2013, 09:41 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks fantastic !
Old 04-19-2013, 10:23 PM
Bud4ya
AutoX

Thank you If I go this route I will PM you. What I was thinking with the K&N or the BMC I think it is, I was looking for either of these filters to just replace the stock filter not replacing the air box.

Are there any issues with your intake work when it is raining?

I am wondering if I go with just a aftermarket drop in filter in stock air box if that will provide increase in sound?

I still want to do the air box mode with the nipple and cap but I can't find a good step by step either vid or written out.

QUOTE=BiteEmNBeatEm;10399957]nice clean low mileage sample you got there. go out at enjoy her!!!

bty if you want a K&N FIPK I will sell you one for dirt cheap, I only had it on the car for a short time and now that I am going turbo i have no use for it. I just need to make sure all the parts and pieces are there. they say there is a 23hp gain but i call BS maybe 2 to 3 hp but not 23...LOL However it did sound mean with it on. I also have the factory pse exhaust.

ether way this is a picture of what the k&n looks like
[/QUOTE]
Old 04-20-2013, 06:57 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

If it is sound you want get Fister D mufflers. Don't mess with K&N or other rudimentary intake mods. More than likely you will just ingest hotter air and foul your MAF.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:51 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great looking 996 in one of my favorite colors. Enjoy.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Bud4ya
AutoX

After driving this as my first Porsche I love it. Wish I would have bought a TT

Originally Posted by theporscheguy
Great looking 996 in one of my favorite colors. Enjoy.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Old-Novice
1st Gear

Same year as the car I'm considering, what should I look for when buying. The car I'm looking at as just over 80k, but appears to be well maintained. Any suggestions?
Old 04-20-2013, 07:04 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

bty if you want a K&N FIPK I will sell you one for dirt cheap,
(Bet that gets deleted soon so you better hurry) Cant post for sale
Old 04-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Bud4ya
AutoX

The thing to do is get it checked out by a Porsche dealer. Look to see if there are any maintenance records and leaks. Usually by looking at the interior and exterior of a car is a pretty good judge of how it was maintained for the most part.

The most common problems I researched on the car was IMS and RMS

]
Originally Posted by Old-Novice
Same year as the car I'm considering, what should I look for when buying. The car I'm looking at as just over 80k, but appears to be well maintained. Any suggestions?
Old 04-22-2013, 01:18 PM
ArniO
Instructor

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
If it is sound you want get Fister D mufflers. Don't mess with K&N or other rudimentary intake mods. More than likely you will just ingest hotter air and foul your MAF.
Wrt intake, that's exactly what Jake Raby says.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:03 AM
fl996
Instructor

Very nice! I like that color! and welcome.

Quick Reply: Purchased First Porsche