Sponsored by:

Second Gear Popping Out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 01:55 PM
ebweber
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second Gear Popping Out?

2002 996 with 115K miles. Just recently second gear has been popping out when I downshift. Other that tne usual notchy up-shifts into second, the tranny is working fine. Anyone know what may be casuing it to pop out when down shifting into second? Is there an easy fix, or do I need a re-build?
Old 04-12-2013, 02:12 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

second gear pop out is more common in the TT. Those guys would probably have a better answer.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:20 PM
CharlieWest
Cruisin'

I had the same problem. Gbox detent fixed it.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:40 PM
GBoxguys
Instructor

Yep this is a common issue with the 996 street car, as well as the TT, GT2, and GT3 gearboxes. The engagement of the operating sleeve to the dog-ring is quite shallow. Damage to these parts, even very minor, can cause this issue to come up. For many people changing out the detent to allow for a deeper engagement to the dog-ring has helped resolve this issue, for others a rebuild was needed in conjunction with this part to totally take care of the issue.

If you have more questions feel free to contact me and I will be happy to try to answer them for you.

Erik Johnson
Old 04-12-2013, 03:40 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Given the mileage on your car I am going to say that it's a wear and tear issue and not the poorly set stack height issue that plagued mostly the 996 Carreras and Turbos and caused the pop out issue everyone talks about. The Gbox detent won't fix a 2nd gear that is worn out. If it didn't start until now, you didn't get one of those defective gearboxes in the first place.

I would start budgetting for a rebuild. The beauty is that on that gearbox you can get separate 2nd gear idler gears. Almost every other gearbox that Porsche/Getrag has ever made that has an integral 1st and 2nd gear mainshaft has required replacing the mainshaft when you get a worn out 2nd gear. Not yours.

Also be sure that your gear oil isn't old. The factory service interval is ridiculously long and doesn't do you any favours with respect to wear on the components. I recommend 15k mi for a street car and if it has been in there longer than that, you have probably lost a lot of viscocity. Sometimes fresh oil makes little synchro and engagement problems go away for a year or more before you need to consider something more drastic, like a rebuild.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:56 PM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

age old question, but which oil brand?, I ask as i changed mine for the Porsche stuff last year at 42k, yet i was disaponted that the shift quality wasnt any better
Old 04-12-2013, 04:30 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Some people prefer the shift quality of Redline, especially when cold, but be aware that any oil that is more slippery and shifts "quicker" is also going to wear your synchros more quickly. We as humnas will always be able to yank the stick faster than the synchros can synchronize. The smoothest shifting is down by making the synchros work as little as possible, and on street driven cars what I see is that people often shift way too early. Short shifting does little or nothing to protect your engine and gives your synchros a workout.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:30 PM
mrtoro
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a similar issue when the at was cold. 1-2 shift sometimes did not engage completely and it would pop out. A fluid change to lubo moly improved the issue drastically. I will be doing the gbox detent when the tranny is out for clutch work soon. my car has 58k.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:03 PM
GBoxguys
Instructor

Matt brings up a good point here and one that everyone is normally told when they order a detent directly. The issue at hand here is that there is damage internal to the gearbox that is causing this pop-out issue. While many many people have had great success in remedying this issue with the use of our detent, if that the damage is too extreme, it will NOT always resolve the issue, and a rebuild will be needed.

As to the year of your car, and any modification that Porsche might have made to resolve this issue in the later generations of the 996 gearbox, we have not seen this to be true. They still have the same issue as the earlier generations of the gearbox. With the miles that you have on your car, and gearbox. There is likely to be other issues at work here that would need to be addressed. That said the detent may at least buy you some time before a complete rebuild would be needed.

Erik Johnson
Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I have the write up for the gbox detent... just do a search on my threads.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Meares
Racer

Originally Posted by GTgears
Some people prefer the shift quality of Redline, especially when cold, but be aware that any oil that is more slippery and shifts "quicker" is also going to wear your synchros more quickly. We as humnas will always be able to yank the stick faster than the synchros can synchronize. The smoothest shifting is down by making the synchros work as little as possible, and on street driven cars what I see is that people often shift way too early. Short shifting does little or nothing to protect your engine and gives your synchros a workout.
at what RPMs should we shift?
Old 04-16-2013, 03:17 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Meares
at what RPMs should we shift?

Above 5000rpm. Either that or shift really slowly...
Old 04-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Meares
Racer

thx
Old 04-18-2013, 11:29 AM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully you caught it in time. I did not, but GBOX took care of my rebuild and the trans has been like new ever since. They do great work.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:54 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For my '00 C2, gears 1, 3, 5 & 6 engage very smoothly but for gears 2 & 4, you really feel the synchros working much harder, sort of feeling gears engaging through the stick. I do not have pop-out issues ... yet.
As suggested below and since I have had the car (1 yr ago), I've resorted to engaging these 2 gears especially really slowly, which suits me fine 95% of the time as I don't track the car.

In my case, I'm curious as to how much a rebuild would cost; ball park, of course.

Quick Reply: Second Gear Popping Out?