996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Second Gear Popping Out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would advise anybody looking for transmission work to steer clear of GBOX as they are not a reputable shop.

you can read an incident here at www.ripoffreport.com

http://www.ripoffreport.com/gbox-por...rado-d2005.htm

please read this in depth before you send anything to GBOX; there are many other reputable shops that are honest and will do good work. Doing your homework before hand will save you much grief.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:32 PM
GBoxguys
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that you will find that a great many people are going to disagree with your assessment of GBox and our reputation. While I would normally respect your opinion as well as your right to express it, the above write up is simply not accurate and does not represent all of the facts.

That said I think I will simply steer away from being drawn into a discussion of this incident yet again. Simply repeating your mistaken interpretation of the events over and over, does not make it any more truthful.

We appreciate the opportunity to help as many people in the Porsche community as we do, and look forward to being of continued help well into the future.

If anyone has questions about this or anything else, please feel free to call me direct.

Erik Johnson
(303) 440-8899 work

Last edited by GBoxguys; 04-25-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:58 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Simply not the case and those that have been burned by GBOX should be a beacon to everybody looking for transmission work

Salesmanship IS your best quality (and only one) but if you can't back it up with quality results then it makes its way to the forums We've seen this with other vendors as well.

Unfortunately too bad for you. But for those willing to listen it will be time well spent on their part.

You reap what you sow. Funny how that always Comes true isn't it?

Ask Bernie Madoff.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:18 PM
ebweber
Track Day

Thanks Erik at Gearbox. How much is a rebuild? Can just the #2 gear & synchro be re-done?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

You can get yourself a new gearbox for a bit more than a rebuild. Make the right choice.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:32 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

ebweber,

Who services your car for you? Goldcrest Motorsports is local to you and knows how to rebuild those gearboxes. There's no compelling reason to ship your gearbox to get it repaired. It's not like it's a racecar...
Old 04-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GTgears
ebweber,

Who services your car for you? Goldcrest Motorsports is local to you and knows how to rebuild those gearboxes. There's no compelling reason to ship your gearbox to get it repaired. It's not like it's a racecar...
yes... local service shops will be accountable because they are in the same state as you - if your not happy with the work from an out of state service shop there is very little you can due to settle the matter legally because of geography and all the red tape it takes to get a legal settlement going.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:54 PM
GBoxguys
Instructor

Goldcrest would indeed be a very good option for you locally. We work with them quite a bit and they are all great guys there. You might even get lucky and get to meet up with Jack Baldwin while you are there. He runs World Challenge and has them do the teams setup, etc.

Either way we are happy to help,

Erik Johnson
Old 04-23-2013, 05:17 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Hello Gents,

Long time, no talk. My p-car is going to need a tranny fluid change this year. I've been running Swepco for 2 years and I am not very satisfied with my shifting performance. What grade Redline are you running?
Old 04-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RPMulli
Hello Gents,

Long time, no talk. My p-car is going to need a tranny fluid change this year. I've been running Swepco for 2 years and I am not very satisfied with my shifting performance. What grade Redline are you running?
for your 996 it's best to stay with stock fluid... I've tried a bunch of them and porsche OEM fluid is good stuff... just flush out every 2 years and if you track dump it every 12 track hours.

FWIW my shop doesn't like redline
Old 04-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GBoxguys
Goldcrest would indeed be a very good option for you locally. We work with them quite a bit and they are all great guys there. You might even get lucky and get to meet up with Jack Baldwin while you are there. He runs World Challenge and has them do the teams setup, etc.

Either way we are happy to help,

Erik Johnson
Old 04-25-2013, 04:54 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by RPMulli
Hello Gents,

While I would agree with the advice to run the factory fill on your gearbox, if you must run Redline, use the 75/90w MT (not the NS). You want the friction modifiers that are present in their standard gear oil. Redline's marketing is a little confusing. Most companies have a special version when they ADD friction modifiers. Redline does it backwards and their NS is their "special" version.

This assumes your car is a daily driver non-track driven vehicle. Track var versus street car are two different beasts.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:34 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GBoxguys
I think that you will find that a great many people are going to disagree with your assessment of GBox and our reputation. While I would normally respect your opinion as well as your right to express it, the above write up is simply not accurate and does not represent all of the facts.

That said I think I will simply steer away from being drawn into a discussion of this incident yet again. Simply repeating your mistaken interpretation of the events over and over, does not make it any more truthful.

We appreciate the opportunity to help as many people in the Porsche community as we do, and look forward to being of continued help well into the future.

If anyone has questions about this or anything else, please feel free to call me direct.

Erik Johnson
(303) 440-8899 work
Folks it must be made clear who is the liar here and continues to misrepresent and engage in fraudulent activity with a string of dissatisfied customers. I gave Erik and GBOX a chance to make things right... and waited quite patiently and haven't received any responses.

That being the case I wanted to share this with the community here... this pretty much puts the nail in the coffin as to who is telling the truth here and the Erik and GBOX are indeed the individuals and business tied to the report on www.ripoffreport.com (search GBOX)

Last edited by Tbred911; 05-29-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:42 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

OK, now Im confused. There is more than one Gbox? So "The Race Line" Erik Johnson is still using the Gbox Rennlist account? Is someone pretending to be Erik? Maybe they forgot to edit the automatic signature line thats set for every post.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Same Erik Johnson. Erik had left GBOX for a while and now he is back. It's when Erik was gone I was able to find out only after the fact that he never even returned my original gearbox and didn't even tell me. Erik had charged me for a few extras but never told me about the "switch". I had found this out from the owner when I voiced my complaints and he mentioned that the gearbox I sent was not rebuild able and I still owed them $1000 !!! Yeh right! I was flabbergasted when I heard this and also to hear they had sent me back another gearbox without even telling me and at no time did they ask for $1000 until I complaint. Looking at their invoice its obvious they creates some line item entries to cover for this. Bandits. Stay far far away from GBOX.

Quick Reply: Second Gear Popping Out?