996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996/997 Prices Hit New Low

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 11:59 AM
peterbigblock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's unfortunate that the lawsuit settlement does so little for owners. Only covers 01-05. Unless your car has already grenaded, it rules out most 01-03s (ten year limit). It does nothing for 99-00 or 05-forward. And it draws more attention to the risk that a $20 part (guessing at Porsche's cost) can destroy your engine at any moment. If it were a more prevalent car (a Camry, say), this would have been solved long ago. But since it's a niche, rich-guy car brand, well, caveat emptor.

I agree with the notion that the settlement (quite typically) benefits Porsche and plaintiffs' lawyers far more than plaintiffs.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:47 PM
hotelguy
Instructor

Chicken little comes to mind.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It's ludicrous to even speculate that the news of the class action suit has already caused prices to drop. The majority of people looking for a Pcar today don't know about the IMS issue and even less know about the lawsuit. That includes non Porsche used car dealers.

Remember that the failure rate for IMS is still very low, but I would guess that many dealers lump other failures into this category due to an incorrect diagnosis or as a way to fleece a consumer. The suit will require a dealer to prove the failure was IMS related to get PCNA to pay out, which may actually reduce the IMS failure rate.

Worrying about your IMS in light of this suit is like suddenly finding out that humans can get cancer. The lawsuit doesn't mean you are suddenly at a higher risk of your engine imploding.

The big winners here are the aftermarket IMS retrofit companies and installers. I would wager that in the future a car with an upgraded bearing may sell faster (maybe not for more $$$) than a car with the OEM bearing.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:00 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Remember that the failure rate for IMS is still very low, but I would guess that many dealers lump other failures into this category due to an incorrect diagnosis or as a way to fleece a consumer. The suit will require a dealer to prove the failure was IMS related to get PCNA to pay out, which may actually reduce the IMS failure rate.

Worrying about your IMS in light of this suit is like suddenly finding out that humans can get cancer. The lawsuit doesn't mean you are suddenly at a higher risk of your engine imploding.

The big winners here are the aftermarket IMS retrofit companies and installers. I would wager that in the future a car with an upgraded bearing may sell faster (maybe not for more $$$) than a car with the OEM bearing.
+996!
Old 03-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Diemsea
Track Day

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
It's ludicrous to even speculate that the news of the class action suit has already caused prices to drop. The majority of people looking for a Pcar today don't know about the IMS issue and even less know about the lawsuit. That includes non Porsche used car dealers.

I tend to agree that this forum hits a pretty narrow audience and most people don't know about the IMS issue or the class action law suit. Before buying my 996, I talked to 2 guys I know who own 996's and when I asked them about the IMS bearing issue both were like "what is an IMS???"
Old 03-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Machog
Advanced

The majority of people looking for a Pcar today don't know about the IMS issue and even less know about the lawsuit. That includes non Porsche used car dealers."

Have to totally disagree with this. I'm in the process of looking for my first Porsche and have spent weeks talking with existing owners, all of whom new about the IMS & seals problem. Spent even more time on this forum where there are 2 stickies about IMS.

As most P owners are fanatical about their cars (a compliment-I know I will be). I'm convinced majority of used buyers spend hours researching their purchase. Guys who can afford new don't need to research, good warranty they obviously got lots of money;-) When I buy mine, its going to an independent shop near me in AZ to have the IMS & seals fixed. For me great peace of mind, specially when I'm buying an older car. I've already got a quote for the complete work, based on a 2001 auto C2, for me its part of the purchase cost.
Machog
Old 03-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Machog
The majority of people looking for a Pcar today don't know about the IMS issue and even less know about the lawsuit. That includes non Porsche used car dealers."

Have to totally disagree with this. I'm in the process of looking for my first Porsche and have spent weeks talking with existing owners, all of whom new about the IMS & seals problem. Spent even more time on this forum where there are 2 stickies about IMS.

As most P owners are fanatical about their cars (a compliment-I know I will be). I'm convinced majority of used buyers spend hours researching their purchase. Guys who can afford new don't need to research, good warranty they obviously got lots of money;-) When I buy mine, its going to an independent shop near me in AZ to have the IMS & seals fixed. For me great peace of mind, specially when I'm buying an older car. I've already got a quote for the complete work, based on a 2001 auto C2, for me its part of the purchase cost.
Machog
I recommend Beck's European in the Airpark for your PPI and IMS work. Glad to hear you are researching your purchase. See you on the road soon!
Old 03-24-2013, 04:34 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The silver lining ... 993 prices are up 25%
Old 03-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Viper6
Racer

Wierd, my 996 is up $1.5K on KBB from when I bought it a year ago... same specs and 5k more miles. This theory of lost value is not visible in my case, so far... fyi
Old 03-24-2013, 11:43 PM
hotelguy
Instructor

like i said...

Last edited by hotelguy; 03-25-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:02 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

FWIW, I was just checking autotrader for something unrelated and decided to do a search for '99-04 996 non-turbo models and noticed roughly over 700 for sale. Anytime you have that much inventory, there are going to be lower resale values, especially for a niche car like that where most buy it as an unnecessary secondary leisure vehicle.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper6
Wierd, my 996 is up $1.5K on KBB from when I bought it a year ago... same specs and 5k more miles. This theory of lost value is not visible in my case, so far... fyi
Then for grins and giggles, post your car For Sale and see what, if any, offers you get.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:34 AM
brunino
Track Day

Well as I've mentioned on this forum before - I wish you could see what 996 & 997 prices are in Melbourne Australia . You guys are getting great cars for next to nothing !! Amazing !!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2nd that Brunino, my 2002 Targa cost me $102,500 4 years ago, it had 79000 klms, now it has 160000 klms (and it's running fine, great car) but it's now worth $38,000 as a trade in on 997 and I would be lucky to get a buyer at $48,000 for a private sale, and at the moment the Aussie Dollar is 104.6 to the USD, you US guys are so lucky.

And there has recently been comment over here about how we are being ripped off by a lot of big corp's, a new Porsche here is about 3 times the US price, and the only cost we have above the US is a 10% GST tax.

When asked the MD of Porsche Cars Aust' said that the Aust' pricing was "set where it is because that is where the market is", go figure....
Old 03-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

The value of your car only matters if you sell it.

(or wreck it...)

Quick Reply: 996/997 Prices Hit New Low