Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche key got stolen in Prague (along with housekeys and bag). Need to replace

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 04:01 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Porsche key got stolen in Prague (along with housekeys and bag). Need to replace

So, i'm using my second key (on which the electronics are dead). I need to order another keyfob at a minimum to have keyless entry available, but in the end, have to order a totally new key cut with it.

I assume this is dealer only? Can I order the keyfob head w/ the correct electronics and transport my key part over? What's required to enable the electronics other than transporting the 'pill' over? I still need to go to the dealer to code the car's electronics and the code on the key?

I'm assuming this is a $500 endeavor. Yes?

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Jpelton
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had another key made for mine, Cutting key and job came to $243 IIRC, labor to code the key was another $120.

-John
Old 03-21-2013, 07:31 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Simplest: Dealer
Least Expensive: Key Head - Sunset Porsche; Key Blade - Keys in the Post (Ipswitch England, email order per digital photo). Dealer programming of car - need other working keys there, too. Do NOT buy used key head or one without code tag, they are of no value. Good Luck!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Wausau 911
Instructor

Just ordered on this week from dealer -$325 plus coding for another $50 = outrageous
I should ask about PCNA membership discount when I pick it up - just dont have my member # yet in case they ask.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:25 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Just wondering if your car insurance would cover new keys from the dealer, since you say yours was stolen. Does theft fall under your "Comprehensive" coverage in your state and with you insurance company? Since both keys are at issue, perhaps, if your deductible is low enough, it might be worth filing a claim to replace both since one key was stolen, and the other key is "damaged".
Old 03-22-2013, 12:38 AM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thundertub
Just wondering if your car insurance would cover new keys from the dealer, since you say yours was stolen. Does theft fall under your "Comprehensive" coverage in your state and with you insurance company? Since both keys are at issue, perhaps, if your deductible is low enough, it might be worth filing a claim to replace both since one key was stolen, and the other key is "damaged".
My deductible is certainly not low. Also, the stuff was stolen in the Czech Republic while I was on a trip (the whole bag was stolen; ipad, clothes, 2 eyeglass frames, etc).....the keys were only one component of the entire 'package'
Old 03-22-2013, 02:29 AM
socalgt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear...I would consider getting 2 new key fobs ($159 each at Suncoast) with an uncut key blank ($39.95). Transfer the cut key blade and the transponder from your current key to one of you new key fobs, cut the new key blade for the other, and have dealer program both keys at the same time to save you on programming. This way you will end up with 2 functioning remote keys!

Total comes out to $159+$159+$39=$357 for parts and another $50- $120 for the programming. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:52 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If have access to a Kessy System and a OBD connector cable, or someone that does, as well as the passcode assigned to the vin of the vehicle. You can pick up a keyhead from suncoast for $150 and transfer your key over. At my shop we have access to a KESSY system and I have a cable and Durametrics for working on Porsches so am able to do my keys after calling Porsche for my passcode. We got this so we can offer these services to certain european car owners who dont want to pay dealership pricing. If you call around you should be able to find someone to reprogram for $80 or less.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:42 AM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thread hijack in progress.

Let me ask the brain trust a question. My fob has all of a sudden stopped opening anything. The light flashes, battery is new and the key blade itself will open and lock the door. I tried the re-set procedures but the fob still will not remotely lock and unlock despite the light blinking.

Is this a transponder issue or the fob guts? I have no problem buying a new fob and transferring the pill and blade over but do not want to go through the whole new key and programming debt.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:59 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gator996
Thread hijack in progress.

Let me ask the brain trust a question. My fob has all of a sudden stopped opening anything. The light flashes, battery is new and the key blade itself will open and lock the door. I tried the re-set procedures but the fob still will not remotely lock and unlock despite the light blinking.

Is this a transponder issue or the fob guts? I have no problem buying a new fob and transferring the pill and blade over but do not want to go through the whole new key and programming debt.
your electronics are dead in the fob. This is the issue I have currently w/ one of my fobs.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:07 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well crap. Looks like I will be working in manual mode for a bit.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:13 AM
caf
Rennlist Member

Any tips in hindsight on how to avoid getting ripped off in Prague?

I'm going to be there in June. Obviously, I'll leave the car keys at home.

I've heard petty theft can be a problem there, but then I'v seen that in Rome, Athens, and Paris too.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:28 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Put all your money in your crotch and stay away from hookers.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:55 AM
caf
Rennlist Member

Good advice!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:57 AM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I bought the key heads from Sunset for about $120@. The local dealer charged about $35@ for the key shaft cut and another $159 (1 hr.) to program them, they would program as many as I wanted in 1 hour. Make sure where ever younbuynthe key heads you get the bar codes or they are worthless.

Quick Reply: Porsche key got stolen in Prague (along with housekeys and bag). Need to replace