Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Getting funny looks daily driving my 996 w/kid and groceries?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:46 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's right along with the usual "well we know who makes the big bux ", "must be nice" and " mid life crisis?" it's a car, get over it. I usually respond, "well I can't afford an expensive car, so I had to get this POS."
Old 03-20-2013, 09:57 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by RDUBiker
So yesterday we went to Target (I do most of our shopping, and my daughter joins me after preschool to help me shop). We bought quite a large number of things including toilet paper and paper towels and lots of other stuff. People looked at me quite incredulously when I stuffed it all into the frunk and passenger front seat and her in the back, and drove off. Why? Never seen a daily driven 996 before? It's weird that people have so many strange assumptions about these cars and their drivers.

Maybe people were looking at you funny because you were standing in a parking lot taking pics of your own frunk and passenger seat...

Originally Posted by fpena944
Wait until you get asked if you need a tow when you're just opening your frunk to put groceries in there...
Old 03-20-2013, 10:12 PM
peterbigblock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid about as much for our '02 C2 Cab as our friends paid for their 16-year-old twin daughters' new Civic EX, but no one says to them, "Oh, you must be rich!" Hey, I don't mind. I just say, "I must be!" I get a great chuckle out of people who know nothing about cars having strong opinions about...cars. "OMG, he bought a Poursh!"
Old 03-21-2013, 11:26 AM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am finding a similar trend when I tell people its an all weather car. I get that its not an obvious first choice but you have to laugh when they tell you its not supposed to be driven in the winter...and of course have no real qualified reason, or first hand experience. Why not ask what makes it a good all year round car and try to learn something?

People are always quick with their opinions, but rarely try to gain insight
Old 03-21-2013, 04:29 PM
ianl
AutoX

One response is to point out that a decent 996 can be had for less than the cost of a new Kia or Hyundai.
Frunk is very usable. On a porsche tour out to Radium last summer, i managed to fit a full-sized cooler in, loaded with cans of San Peligrino. The spirited driving on the way home managed to puncture one.
As to passengers, my wife and I got some interesting looks driving out to the mountains with our bernese mountain dog and australian shepherd in the back seat...
Old 03-21-2013, 04:54 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I am tempted to get a personalized tag that says, YESITIS.

This will answer the two most common questions I get.

1. It must be nice?
Point to tag.

2. Is that thing fast?
Point to tag.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:56 PM
porrsha
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ianl
One response is to point out that a decent 996 can be had for less than the cost of a new Kia or Hyundai.
Frunk is very usable. On a porsche tour out to Radium last summer, i managed to fit a full-sized cooler in, loaded with cans of San Peligrino. The spirited driving on the way home managed to puncture one.
As to passengers, my wife and I got some interesting looks driving out to the mountains with our bernese mountain dog and australian shepherd in the back seat...
I have not been able to fit my Newfie in the car yet. Had one in a 1972 911T Targa that got tons of weird looks. Pre-digital camera so not sure if i even have a picture of that moment.

Name:  maggie2small.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  251.3 KB
Old 03-21-2013, 05:15 PM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the pic Porrscha! My dobie's head fits perfectly out of the rear window. I just hate cleaning the slobber off the side of the car when we get home!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:06 PM
ianl
AutoX

That is a big beautiful dog. Our Berner is a female, and small for the breed, so can curl up on one back seat, with her head resting happily on the glove box.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just made a run to Total Wine this afternoon. Got 2 cases of vino in the Frunk (turned sideways) and another case of various "handles" on the passenger side floor board. It really is surprising how much you can fit in these cars. Thinking about changing my license plate to STNWAGN.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 PM
dallison28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We use ours all the time. i used to get mulch and other supplies at lowes. It is a used car and needs to be driven.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:15 PM
RDUBiker
Advanced

I used to have a couple Corvette C5s and while the trunk on those were pretty sizable, I think the 996 is substantially more useful. The most important part being my daughter can ride in the back while still carrying other people and groceries or items we need.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:13 AM
Kazual99
Pro

Originally Posted by fpena944
Wait until you get asked if you need a tow when you're just opening your frunk to put groceries in there...
Or..."need a jump start?"

My favorite. "Nice car, engine trouble?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:09 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RDUBiker
So yesterday we went to Target (I do most of our shopping, and my daughter joins me after preschool to help me shop). We bought quite a large number of things including toilet paper and paper towels and lots of other stuff. People looked at me quite incredulously when I stuffed it all into the frunk and passenger front seat and her in the back, and drove off. Why? Never seen a daily driven 996 before? It's weird that people have so many strange assumptions about these cars and their drivers.

They are looking at you funny because the average regular type person doesn't know that your engine is in the back. They don't know a 928 from a 996.

They look at you even funnier when you put groceriers in the front trunk and then the rear trunk too. I think for very funny look that prompted someone to actually ask me where the engine was, I got a dozen who looked at me funny and said nothing.

Watching a person put groceries into the front of car just makes some people totally confused.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

Thats funny. My front bumper cover is scratched. So when I go to the grocery i ram it with the cart... Omg you should see the looks I get. One lady said something, I told her I had to turn it over to the wife next week due to our divorce and didnt care.

Quick Reply: Getting funny looks daily driving my 996 w/kid and groceries?