996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

2000 996 Cab - new top Twillfast?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 09:09 AM
mak24seven
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I looked into this job hear in the Uk due to my rear screen coming away at the seem of the roof the only real option was a new roof with a glass screen.
There were people willing to have a go at cutting the old plastic screen out and sewing a new one in but the consensus was that of a bodge job or at best not quiet right .
Fitting a new roof should only take 4 hours at most, if it takes longer the roof is badly made or the fitter is learning .

My new roof was bought from B.A.S hear in the uk and the quality is fantastic, they have reduced the size of the rear screen to aid closing as some new roofs will cause problems trying to close with this conversion so beware.
They may not ship to the states but the website is worth a look
http://www.car-hood.co.uk/content.php?nID=1

Make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing. My roof was fitted by an idiot the 1st time and looked terrible. I drove to the B.A.S main office and had there guys fit it the second time and it is as good as factory.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:23 AM
B r i a n
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great picture with the fabric off!
Actually, great thread in general - this is very helpful information.
I hope to have a few years - but will referring back.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:05 AM
LI911
Instructor

After researching auto tops direct, personally I will not use them. A google search revealed lots of upset customers. If I was going to buy online I would likely use Duetto Motors in CA, good reputation and good prices (but not Gahh, they are made by E-Z on).

That being said, I found a local installer with over 20 years experience (who came highly recommended by high-end body shop). He can do the Gahh top either plastic or glass window. The glass version price is unbeatable, Gahh must provide significant discount to distributors. Any local LIers PM me if you want details.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:01 PM
tdurden032
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good info all around - I may be in the market for a new top myself here soon - thanks guys!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:28 AM
LI911
Instructor

Adding an ebay link for tops. I have not used these guys and can't vouch for the quality but they do have allot of positive feedback. Prices look good especially for the glass tops.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/autotopfacto...&_trksid=p3686
Old 03-25-2013, 12:24 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dallison28
I am going to pick up my 02 that is getting a new gahh top installed this weekend.
let me know how you make out. one of the installers I talked to say he prefers the factory OEM vs gahh because it fits better...but he could be bsing

Also did you have to buy new headliner? how do you reuse the glass?

thanks
Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 PM
dallison28
Pro

Originally Posted by roadsession
let me know how you make out. one of the installers I talked to say he prefers the factory OEM vs gahh because it fits better...but he could be bsing

Also did you have to buy new headliner? how do you reuse the glass?

thanks
I think it turned out fine. I haven't really driven it since i got it back since it's been so cold out.

They reused the headliner and the rear glass. I think the glass might just pop ou when it's loose.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:11 PM
LI911
Instructor

I think it turned out fine. I haven't really driven it since i got it back since it's been so cold out.

They reused the headliner and the rear glass. I think the glass might just pop ou when it's loose.
So you had a new Gahh top installed and they re-used the old "plastic" window? That seems odd. The installer who looked at my top said the window in mine (which I think is OEM) is not zipped in, it's heat pressed hence the delamination issues.

Most of us are replacing our tops only because the window is a disaster, usally both delaminated and scratched up, etc... (at least that's what I thought)
Old 03-25-2013, 05:54 PM
dallison28
Pro

I have a glass window.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:15 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LI911
So you had a new Gahh top installed and they re-used the old "plastic" window? That seems odd. The installer who looked at my top said the window in mine (which I think is OEM) is not zipped in, it's heat pressed hence the delamination issues.

Most of us are replacing our tops only because the window is a disaster, usally both delaminated and scratched up, etc... (at least that's what I thought)
2002+ use glass windows...
Old 04-25-2013, 03:16 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Do you mind me asking what it costs you in parts and labor and what do you think about it so far?
Old 04-25-2013, 03:20 PM
dallison28
Pro

Originally Posted by roadsession
Do you mind me asking what it costs you in parts and labor and what do you think about it so far?
I like it, it looks very nice. It cost about $1600 installed.

Quick Reply: 2000 996 Cab - new top Twillfast?