Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My first "mod" - aux input to CDR-220 ('02 996 C2)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:10 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheekybird
I just ordered the cable. Does anybody have a picture of the removal keys used to remove the HU?
Amazon Amazon
or
Suncoast Porsche

Old 02-27-2014, 11:09 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Just completed my first mod as well. Wow, that was the cheapest, easiest and best stereo mod out there. I was able to very easily pop off the sides of the center console (passenger side) and run cord out the bottom right next to cubby. All in $14. The hardest part was once stereo keys are in all the way pull really hard to get out that is it. My stereo slid right back in with no issue. It appears if you leave it on AUX upon exiting your 911, the stereo will stay on and eventually drain your battery. Just manually turn off stereo when exiting your 996. Now I can remove that ugly useless CD cubby thingy, yahoo. The sound quality would probably be improved with the Becker 30 pin cable for $100+ but for $14, I'll take it for now. Make it happen fellow 996(ers) it was so so easy. Thanks RDUBiker, now show us how to remove CD cubby and ash tray....
Old 02-27-2014, 11:49 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Just completed my first mod as well. Wow, that was the cheapest, easiest and best stereo mod out there. I was able to very easily pop off the sides of the center console (passenger side) and run cord out the bottom right next to cubby. All in $14. The hardest part was once stereo keys are in all the way pull really hard to get out that is it. My stereo slid right back in with no issue. It appears if you leave it on AUX upon exiting your 911, the stereo will stay on and eventually drain your battery. Just manually turn off stereo when exiting your 996. Now I can remove that ugly useless CD cubby thingy, yahoo. The sound quality would probably be improved with the Becker 30 pin cable for $100+ but for $14, I'll take it for now. Make it happen fellow 996(ers) it was so so easy. Thanks RDUBiker, now show us how to remove CD cubby and ash tray....
Not sure if serious about the CD cubby but just in case -- pop a couple of the trays out. Grab both in one hand. Pull.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:34 PM
Dannyfumi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just added my cable and followed the instructions and turning on the Aux, but when I try to play my on cd setting it only plays for a few seconds as its loading then automatically switches back to FM? Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Never mind I figured it out! Thanks

Last edited by Dannyfumi; 03-01-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:56 AM
Cheekybird
Pro

@DTMiller - I was serious and thanks for the tip, it worked like a charm. Now what are my options for replacing the CD Cubby? The CD Cubby looks like it is a little square than the pocket cubby below it. Is that true or is it just an illusion?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:20 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

@DTMiller - I was serious and thanks for the tip, it worked like a charm. Now what are my options for replacing the CD Cubby? The CD Cubby looks like it is a little square than the pocket cubby below it. Is that true or is it just an illusion?
Glad to help! You can buy a matching cubby for the upper half of the lower portion. The upper one is a different part than the lower one.

I'm on my phone or I would link to the part but I think suncoast carries them.

Other than putting in a double DIN radio and moving the ac controls to the bottom half I don't know what other options there are.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:59 AM
Cheekybird
Pro

Yup Suncoast has them. Thanks to all for this easy Mod!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:12 PM
SKYSTAK
Instructor

so did anyone figure out how to add sat radio to the dr-23?
or ipod cable?
obviously without major surgery (adding a double din)
Old 05-16-2016, 08:25 PM
Rustler
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I found it useful and wanted to add my experience to it.

First, this is a great addition. Sound quality isn't great, but it at least gives you access to your digital music library while keeping the sleek OEM look of the Becker. Well worth it.

This thread details removal of the Becker head unit, connection of the aux cable, and finding the "aux" feature in the head unit, however, it doesn't cover one aspect I found tricky: reinstalling the head unit.

I found that the first 5 inches or so were not too difficult, just a little jiggling, but at about 5 inches the unit hits the cradle/mount. At that point I got significant resistance and found it near impossible to push it in further. At that point there are two metal guides on the top that have some spring in them, and a hard felt covered "lip" on the bottom. It is the lip that gave me so much trouble. The little move that got me past the lip was at the point that you meet significant resistance, to push down on the front of the head unit (thereby pushing up on the metal guides at the top that have some give or spring to them), and push forward at the same time. The guides at the top give a bit and the bottom can clear the felt "lip," and then the stereo seats properly.

Also, I pulled out the CD storage shelf, and installed a second storage shelf (from Suncoast Porsche) with a small hole drilled in the back. I fed the aux cable with the jack end on it through that hole, and now my phone resides in the top tray plugged into the jack. I think the center console looks less fussy without the CD tray, and I don't have that many CDs I want to listen to anymore anyway.

Good luck!
Old 09-14-2016, 02:30 PM
gobs
Instructor

Can someone add a link if available to the Becker and non-Becker cable? The thread is old so locating the correct cable is difficult.

Thank you
Old 09-14-2016, 04:18 PM
VivG
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gobs
Can someone add a link if available to the Becker and non-Becker cable? The thread is old so locating the correct cable is difficult.

Thank you
This is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Porsche-1999-2002-Traffic-CDR-220-Coaster/dp/B012IVK5W6/

Just installed it on my CR-220, fairly painless and seems to work fine.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:56 PM
dormaj
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD changer issue?

Hi,

Thanks for your 'first mod' story about adding the Becker AUX cable. I ordered the same cable and followed your excellent directons. In TP program mode the AUX is ON. But when I go to select AUX after stopping and starting the radio the AUX option does not appear. I have CDR-220 with CD changer, but don't have the CD cartridge. Do you have a CD Changer in yours? And do you keep a CD in it?

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 10-21-2017, 10:19 PM
dormaj
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Thanks for your 'first mod' story about adding the Becker AUX cable. I ordered the same cable and followed your excellent directons. In TP program mode the AUX is ON. But when I go to select AUX after stopping and starting the radio the AUX option does not appear. I have CDR-220 with CD changer, but I don't have a CD cartridge. Do you have a CD Changer in yours? And do you keep a CD in it?

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 03-09-2024, 04:40 PM
911Dreamer
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

I hate to bring up a old post, but when I got my 996.2 Targa 4months ago someone had installed a AUX. I didnt have the adapter for the my Iphone 13 pro and just left as is. Last week I tried again with my Iphone 15 pro, when I found a USB-C to Aux apapter and couldnt figure how to turn it on. Well tolday looking around the various sterep updates the AUX question came up on a post I was looking at. Played a playlist and switched it to CD-S and my music is playing now on the CDR-22....I didnt realize the AUX was played through the CD player setting. I am laughing at myself that I could have been playing my music for the past 4 months, the engine has been the best music

Quick Reply: My first "mod" - aux input to CDR-220 ('02 996 C2)