Sponsored by:

Shift Linkage Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 03:51 PM
miketporsche
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Linkage Question

I pulled my center console off (2002 996) to paint it and saw that it came with a B&M short shifter installed. It works very well right now.

I noticed it has the stock linkage attached to it though. My thought was while I have the console off, I should at a minimum, replace the current linkage with a new stock linkage. This seems to be the easiest course of action to preserve the cable positioning and not screw up how nice it shifts.

BUT, I've combed through the forum posts for hours seeing recommendations for the after market linkages because the stock linkage is "sloppy" or prone to break.

Specifically, I was looking at either the EVO Billet Link or the Agency Power Link.

A few questions that I couldn't seem to piece together from past posts:

1) Since the short shifter is already installed and there isn't a locking tool for it, am I safer just going with a replacement stock linkage to keep the shift cables working properly?

2) If I were to upgrade, what are your opinions of the EVO linkage versus the Agency Power linkage (I know there are others, but I have enough analysis paralysis with these two)?

From what I've read, the EVO seems to be hit or miss on the set screws being able to hold the cable in place. I couldn't find anything similar to the agency power. The AP link looks simpler as it is one piece from what I can see.

3) Will the upgrade linkages make it much more difficult for me to maintain the correct shift cable setting since I don't have the locking tool?

I'm not sure why I would need the locking tool. If I mark the cable where it enters the stock linkage.

I could then measure the stock linkage length against the upgrade link length and adjust the marking for any differences.

I am assuming everything would be in the right place once I connect the upgrade. I can't find anything to confirm of disprove my theory though. Any thoughts?

Any thoughts, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:02 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

[QUOTE=miketporsche;10275623]I pulled my center console off (2002 996) to paint it and saw that it came with a B&M short shifter installed. It works very well right now."

Find something that does not work and spend $$ on that??
Old 03-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Me confused........
Old 03-05-2013, 10:43 PM
miketporsche
Track Day

Where I was going with this is the linkage is a wear part correct?

Given that fact I figured I'd replace the linkage while the console is out.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:51 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

The point we are making is if it aint broke don't fix it. You state it works perfectly right?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:57 PM
healey1968
Instructor

The bushings in the shifter are a wear item, but the linkage cables themselves are not. Sounds like taking stuff apart just for the activity.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:45 AM
miketporsche
Track Day

Right. It isn't broke. One combs through these forums long enough and see so many posts of the linkage breaking, it starts to get in your head..

The thought that I had is replace the linkage as a preventative maintenance item.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:02 PM
dinodog
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by miketporsche
I pulled my center console off (2002 996) to paint it and saw that it came with a B&M short shifter installed. It works very well right now.

I noticed it has the stock linkage attached to it though. My thought was while I have the console off, I should at a minimum, replace the current linkage with a new stock linkage. This seems to be the easiest course of action to preserve the cable positioning and not screw up how nice it shifts.

BUT, I've combed through the forum posts for hours seeing recommendations for the after market linkages because the stock linkage is "sloppy" or prone to break.

Specifically, I was looking at either the EVO Billet Link or the Agency Power Link.

A few questions that I couldn't seem to piece together from past posts:

1) Since the short shifter is already installed and there isn't a locking tool for it, am I safer just going with a replacement stock linkage to keep the shift cables working properly?

2) If I were to upgrade, what are your opinions of the EVO linkage versus the Agency Power linkage (I know there are others, but I have enough analysis paralysis with these two)?

From what I've read, the EVO seems to be hit or miss on the set screws being able to hold the cable in place. I couldn't find anything similar to the agency power. The AP link looks simpler as it is one piece from what I can see.

3) Will the upgrade linkages make it much more difficult for me to maintain the correct shift cable setting since I don't have the locking tool?

I'm not sure why I would need the locking tool. If I mark the cable where it enters the stock linkage.

I could then measure the stock linkage length against the upgrade link length and adjust the marking for any differences.

I am assuming everything would be in the right place once I connect the upgrade. I can't find anything to confirm of disprove my theory though. Any thoughts?

Any thoughts, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Despite some of the recent feedback you've received on this I think that the questions you have raised are all valid and worth considering. There is plenty of information available suggesting that the stock plastic shift cable ends do wear, and may be prone to breakage. Your intent to do some preventative maintenance on this while you're in there makes a lot of sense. Hopefully, someone with some meaningful insight on this will advise you as to what has worked best for them. Absent any other recommendations, it would seem that replacing the plastic shift cable ends with new factory parts while you have it apart might be wise.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:08 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

I had a b&m on my old 996- awesome upgrade vs stock. Well defined and gated. I would replace the shift ends with oem vs those billet ones. Heard the billet ones can make it notchy. Only issue with the plastic ends is that they can strip but I think that's a positive. Sometimes u force into gear when u shouldn't the plastic ends strip so no damage to engine/drivetrain. With billet very possible to kill motor/tranny. If its not broke now just order some extra's if it gets stripped. With no spare it would kill your trackday. Mike
Old 03-08-2013, 10:43 AM
miketporsche
Track Day

Thank all for your input.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:54 PM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Responses should be useful and productive

Originally Posted by dinodog
Despite some of the recent feedback you've received on this I think that the questions you have raised are all valid and worth considering. There is plenty of information available suggesting that the stock plastic shift cable ends do wear, and may be prone to breakage. Your intent to do some preventative maintenance on this while you're in there makes a lot of sense. Hopefully, someone with some meaningful insight on this will advise you as to what has worked best for them. Absent any other recommendations, it would seem that replacing the plastic shift cable ends with new factory parts while you have it apart might be wise.
Well said! I'm going to copy this and keep it for future responses. It ought to be on a pull down menu...
Old 06-03-2013, 02:29 PM
miketporsche
Track Day

As a follow-up to this. I just ended up replacing the shift linkage with another stock one. I figured since I had the console out, it was worth spending $18 to put a new linkage in.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:33 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Just an FYI, Tool Pants (on renntech) did a comparison of the different linkages some time ago....found NO advantage to the aftermarket linkages...
Old 06-03-2013, 05:07 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Urban Myth. I have 3 Porsche dealers and RAC all of which have NEVER seen a single shift link failure. People started the rumor to sell after market shift links. I made the mistake of paying attention to this myth back when I had my 996 and got an EVO shift link. After installing it, the shifter was stiff and very notchey. Twice the link came loose by the set screws stripping off the cable threads. I threw the POS EVO shift link in the garbage, put the stock one back in and never looked back. Just stick with your stock OEM part and you will never have a problem.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:35 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

No personal experience with the shift cables or ends, but this thread seems to have some interesting info...
996 Cup shift cable to the fix

The thread OP/owner was having some shifting smoothness issues under full throttle, upgraded to 996 cup cables.

Obviously more work and cost than just replacing cable ends on the shifter side onlly, but it sounded like it was a great upgrade if you aren't getting super clean shifts.

From that thread, a few images:

Stock Cables:

Cup Cables:

Last edited by pfbz; 06-03-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Shift Linkage Question