Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Reading Tea Leaves (or Magnetic Drain Plug)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 11:35 PM
GeorgeCo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reading Tea Leaves (or Magnetic Drain Plug)

Changed the oil today after about 3,000 miles. Tomorrow I will drop the pan to look at the oil intake and begin the process of installing an IMS Guardian. This is only the second oil change since I got the car last August and the first with a magnetic drain plug. Didn't find any metal bits on the magnet or in the filter when I cut it apart. But there was this film on the end of the plug that I wiped off onto this tissue. It is ferrous. It almost looks like anti-seize compound. I haven't used a magnetic drain plug before, but this isn't something I was expecting. I took an oil sample before I drained the oil, but I won't get those results back for several days. Any ideas what it could be?

Old 03-01-2013, 11:41 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems like more than expected, but the substance itself is normal.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Fairly normal amount of material I'd say... This is usually camshaft/lifter/timing chain wear metals. Here is one we pulled today.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:42 AM
AZ Erik
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by perryinva
Seems like more than expected, but the substance itself is normal.
This. My F150 spits out that much metal every change. Looks like Antisieze compound on the drain plug and rags. Unless there is 'chip' sized piece I wouldnt worry too much. I understand the IMS bearing could spit out pieces but a sealed bearing shouldn't.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:09 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Strangely we have not had many magnetic drain plug photos in the forum. so it is hard to compare.
Hopefully this thread will help more people posting their magnetic drain plug or compare.

I have had similar metal fuzz on mine. I'll see if I can find a picture
Old 03-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

The pico I posted is fine for a 5K mile service interval using the LN mag plug, which is by far the strongest available @23#.

In particulate testing we have found that most of the debris is from the timing chains.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:37 PM
GeorgeCo
Instructor

Today I dropped the pan. No metal present but I did find several brown bits that I assume are from the chain guide (?) Also one more small bit (about the size of the smallest one pictured here) as well in the oil intake tube screen. Anything to be worried about or normal for a 70,000 mile engine? (I suspect this is the first time the pan has been removed and examined.)

Before closing the pan back up, I installed a new stainless baffle. I had to remove some of the red gasket to get it to fit flush, leaving a slight gap. I seem to remember reading others having to do that as well.

I was routing the wires for the IMS Guardian switch and was having a hard time feeding the wire, so I removed the climate control module. Since it was out, I decided to move it to the bottom position. With the top open, I could install my cup holder cassettes and remove the CD holders. With the CD holders out, I could add back a pocket.... Next thing you know, the center console looked like this:

Getting the wires for the climate control module to the bottom slot was a lot tougher than I had planned, but eventually everything went back together. I still have to hook up the power for the IMS Guardian and finish routing the wires to the back of the car.

I still haven't been able to figure out where the plug is that was shown as an example of where to route the IMS Guardian wire through the bulkhead. Is it in the foot-well behind the driver or somewhere under the rear seat?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Wow! You disassembled a lot more of the dash than I have ever seen to route the wires for the Guardian.. I typically pull the two sides off the dash cluster and route the wires behind the center part easily, it takes about 10 minutes to do.

I still haven't been able to figure out where the plug is that was shown as an example of where to route the IMS Guardian wire through the bulkhead. Is it in the foot-well behind the driver or somewhere under the rear seat?
These are different for every year and model of car. There are no "rules" when routing the wires, use any pass through point that you want, or you can drill your own hole if you want. Don't be afraid to get creative here, as long as the wires are not routed near heat sources or where road hazards may exist, there really is no wrong way to do this.

Note: When tightening the MCD sensor do not over torque the unit. The torque value is 19 lb/ft and not 37 like the stock plug. Our latest kits (produced in 2013) include a special socket that allows the unit to be easily torqued to avoid damaging the sensor. When using a longer wrench that fits the MCD sensor its really easy to over torque and never realize it.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:24 AM
GeorgeCo
Instructor

Thanks for the quick reply Jake. I've been wanting to install the cup holders for a while so this proved to be a good excuse. Should I be overly concerned about the brown bits?
Old 03-04-2013, 12:06 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Them brown bits ain't nuthin! You oughta see the brown bits my dog, Lucybowels, leaves when some body startles her. Damn dog!

Sorry couldn't resist. Hope they are not serious.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:11 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

may I suggest a UOA
Old 03-04-2013, 12:48 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

My OCI last year was about 6,000 km or 4,000 miles, the stuff on my magnetic drain plug is like yours in color and consistency, it's like a black paste, but I have less than 1/10 of what you show in the first pix.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:08 AM
kbollaert
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While the black goo seems excessive, I've not seen anything to concern me when I pull a mag chip detector and find that: when you start finding chips and slivers, it's time to dig deeper.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:04 PM
GeorgeCo
Instructor

Originally Posted by kbollaert
While the black goo seems excessive, I've not seen anything to concern me when I pull a mag chip detector and find that: when you start finding chips and slivers, it's time to dig deeper.
I'm hoping the black goo was just because it was the first oil change while using a magnetic plug. I'll know more when I change it next time I suppose, which should be in about 3 months. When I pulled the pan I was surprised by how much oil stayed in the pan. I can see how junk could perpetuate between oil changes.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:03 AM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeCo
Before closing the pan back up, I installed a new stainless baffle. I had to remove some of the red gasket to get it to fit flush, leaving a slight gap. I seem to remember reading others having to do that as well.

Yup, exactly like mine

Quick Reply: Reading Tea Leaves (or Magnetic Drain Plug)