Sponsored by:

The hated rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Default The hated rattle

Dont know about you guys but I cant do rattles in my car. I dont know if i have super hearing or am just easily annoyed. Either way Ive spent a fair amount of time trying to locate a rattle under my drivers side rear quarter. The sound is kind of like a loose clamp or even a spring boing type sound. Only happens driving over reflectors, expansion joints or brick roads. Ive inspected suspension, removed wheel well shroud, banged on mufflers and clamps with rubber mallet all of it without any luck .

My usual indy tells me the other day that its a worn control arm and i should replace them on each corner as they are all worn. Hmmm.... I dont like to replace parts that arent broken and the quote i saw was so inflated I passed.

So I decided to get a second opinion. I go to another indy that ive never used and the fellow was able to diagnose the problem with one quick drive. Turns out their is a spring that assists the parking brake somehow. I was told to pull parking brake up a few clicks and drive over the reflectors to test and confirm....

It fricken worked! You have no idea how pumped I was to finally have found this rattle. Big thanks go to Wiliam at J&W Motorsports. You have a new loyal customer for years to come.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Good tip. Rattles can be annoying and incredibly hard to diagnose. I had one that I was 100% sure was coming from the glove box/dash area. Even had my wife try to find it while I drove while pressing on every sq inch. Nothing. I would get so frustrated I would pull over and start rearranging the items in the glove box, moving air vents, pressing on the horseshoe. You name it.

It was months before I realized it was the ashtray.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:47 AM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 William is a great guy
Old 02-23-2013, 08:36 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

never heard fo those guys, always good to hear of a new good indy in town

Still looking for someone good in the fort lauderdale area though :S
Old 02-23-2013, 08:42 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rattles are very frustrating to say the least. I'm glad that you were intuitive and found someone to diagnose the problem without replacing half the parts in your car.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

I am the same way.... I had one and it drove me nuts trying to find it. Last time I had the car in for state inspection and it was on the lift, Then and only then with the suspention sprug could I find that it was the swaybar drop links.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 AM
mjb2448
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

When I started hearing a rattling sound in my '04 C4s I ended up getting an MRI and and a script for Zoloft
Old 02-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardback
Dont know about you guys but I cant do rattles in my car. I dont know if i have super hearing or am just easily annoyed. Either way Ive spent a fair amount of time trying to locate a rattle under my drivers side rear quarter. The sound is kind of like a loose clamp or even a spring boing type sound. Only happens driving over reflectors, expansion joints or brick roads. Ive inspected suspension, removed wheel well shroud, banged on mufflers and clamps with rubber mallet all of it without any luck .

My usual indy tells me the other day that its a worn control arm and i should replace them on each corner as they are all worn. Hmmm.... I dont like to replace parts that arent broken and the quote i saw was so inflated I passed.

So I decided to get a second opinion. I go to another indy that ive never used and the fellow was able to diagnose the problem with one quick drive. Turns out their is a spring that assists the parking brake somehow. I was told to pull parking brake up a few clicks and drive over the reflectors to test and confirm....

BTW I wouldnt drive your car with the hand lever even one or two clicks up to stop that rattle... also leave your car in gear in your garage and leave the handbrake off. It takes tension off the hand brake wire. Dont forget to put it back on before you depress the clutch for starting the car.

It fricken worked! You have no idea how pumped I was to finally have found this rattle. Big thanks go to Wiliam at J&W Motorsports. You have a new loyal customer for years to come.
Good... it really pisses me off when places try to con us into spending money on repairs that are not needed. Well they lost your business for the future and rightly so. I was told 2 years ago that i needed a new battery by can you believe a LARGE Porsche dealer. When I went for a battery to Pep Boys I was told there was nothing wrong with the one in the car. The same one is still in the car 2 years and 20000 miles later and has not let me down one time. I will only use that Porsche place at last resort.
BTW After you adjust your (hand/emergancy brake) it might be a good idea in the future to leave your car in gear in your garage and leave the handbrake off. It takes tension from the hand brake wire. Dont forget to put it back on before you depress the clutch for starting the car.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:11 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the responses. Something didnt add up with the control arm diagnosis. What a relief to finally have this rattle issue resolved.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:35 PM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had rattle in cabin over road irregularities and God forbid 3k rpm... I looked everywhere touuching everything... I thought I had it pinned to the CD rack when one day I just decided to push down on the leather boot ahead of the shifter and noise was silenced! WOO HOO... now all I gotta do is get under there and figure out what is rattling like a loos screw dancing on plastic.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:00 AM
EDEZ TT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice?

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Good tip. Rattles can be annoying and incredibly hard to diagnose. I had one that I was 100% sure was coming from the glove box/dash area. Even had my wife try to find it while I drove while pressing on every sq inch. Nothing. I would get so frustrated I would pull over and start rearranging the items in the glove box, moving air vents, pressing on the horseshoe. You name it.

It was months before I realized it was the ashtray.
How did you fix the ashtray rattle?
Old 03-28-2013, 12:05 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EDEZ TT
Pull and hold the parking brake everytime a reflector, expansion joint, or brick road is in sight, then release once safely over it?
Old 03-28-2013, 12:45 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EDEZ TT
I did the ashtray delete. The part replaces the ashtray with a small cubby with a rubber lining. You can order one from Suncoast or Pelican. Only comes in black, but I painted mine Aluma-look. Can post a pic later if you like.

Last edited by Gonzo911; 03-28-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:41 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a cold weather only buzzy rattle from the passenger door airbag. My current solution is to wait for spring.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:20 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts

oh i just give a bootful to the right pedal - and that generates so much noise and vibration that i am completely oblivious to the small rattle from the ashtray or the passenger airbag area
on a serious note, i will try the parking brake tip

Quick Reply: The hated rattle