Running rich after KN intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 03:00 PM
AspenSTI2010
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Running rich after KN intake?

Hey gang,
Is it normal to run rich after installing this?
http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?id=1543

Went for a drive with my father in law on his bike behind me and he said car smells like a gas station.
Even at idle smells of fuel.
Is this something where an ecu tune is required?
Sure sounds nice but don't want to overheat!
Old 02-04-2013, 04:13 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The K&N oil can play havoc with your MAF.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Litesonic
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1

Rich will keep you cool though overall, and then wash the cylinders, and then bad things will really happen.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Or cause excessive carbon build up in the combustion chamber that will eventually lock up the engine........go see Gaugeman69's thread on the 928 forum.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Nedster
Racer

Is that K&N even worth the pain on a stock car? Hard to imagine that Porsche engineers would shove an air filter too restrictive for the vacuum created by the engine.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:15 PM
ChristopherG
Burning Brakes

Get some MAF cleaner and see if it helps. Check to make sure the MAF is plugged in also.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

Make sure the MAF sensor is in the intake in the correct direction as well. When I got mine, the piece the sensor screws into was in backwards, so I had to flip it around to ensure the airflow was going through the sensor the correct way.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:19 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

I threw away the K&N that came with the car when I bought it and went back to Porsche Filter.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:42 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Nedster
Is that K&N even worth the pain on a stock car? Hard to imagine that Porsche engineers would shove an air filter too restrictive for the vacuum created by the engine.
Totally agree... Some people are too dam quick to change the design of the 966 engine and its componants without a care in the world. Live now, pay later attitude. They really **** me off instead of leaving well alone. There I go again ranting and raving but some of these guys should not be allowed within 10 miles of these lovely well designed vehicles. Things have got to be ,faster, louder, or slammed down as they say.. It's them that should be slammed down on the tarmac... head first.. That may knock a bit of sense into their thick heads hahaha
Old 02-05-2013, 12:06 AM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
They really **** me off instead of leaving well alone. There I go again ranting and raving
That was a total English pub rage.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:16 AM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't buy in to any performance claims but will say that it would have been nice if Porsche had found a way to make an air filter that does not require complete airbox removal (potentially damaging MAF cable / connections in the process) and undoing a dozen screws just to inspect the blessed thing.

If you follow the instructions carefully, you should be able to clean and oil a K&N filter without gumming up the works. And at least you can visibly see when it needs it.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

some of these guys should not be allowed within 10 miles of these lovely well designed vehicles.
based on what you've done to the rear of your car, that includes you.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:21 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Totally agree... Some people are too dam quick to change the design of the 966 engine and its componants without a care in the world. Live now, pay later attitude. They really **** me off instead of leaving well alone. There I go again ranting and raving but some of these guys should not be allowed within 10 miles of these lovely well designed vehicles. Things have got to be ,faster, louder, or slammed down as they say.. It's them that should be slammed down on the tarmac... head first.. That may knock a bit of sense into their thick heads hahaha
Nice.

If you actually knew anything about these cars, you'd know that Porsche has to work with design restrictions for its intake that the aftermarket does not. The most notable in this case are German drive-by noise laws. In fact, a good aftermarket intake can make a difference, although whether it's worth the money or not is another matter. It's also generally thought that you won't get anything besides noise out of an aftermarket intake without other mods.

To the OP, if your MAF was fouled, you'd almost certainly get a CEL (ask me how I know). The other suggestions are worth following. Also, how much have you driven it? The ECU does need some time to adapt to changes.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:39 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

We are lucky with the 996 in that the 3.4 and then the 3.6 liter motors were the only options available with the Carrera at the time. Starting with the 997 Carrera and Carrera S, Porsche probably made decisions to limit the power of the lesser motor to justify the price difference with the S, just as they do with the Boxster and Cayman to separate them from the 911.

My old 968 was just such a case. Porsche intentionally restricted air flow with a ridiculously narrow snorkel in front of the airbox. The stock 968 was only 10 HP back from the 964 at the time (240 v. 250). Pretty obvious why that snorkel was there. Removing it and drilling the airbox got you an easy 10-15 horsepower and better sound.

But in our case, I've not seen a good solution that actually gains power and sound without threatening other systems. More modern electronics and sensors make this tough as well.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:48 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

It's one of those unwinnable debates, on every car forum. Not helped by the fact that there are a lot of awful intakes out there, some real horror stories.

I have run an EVOMs for several years. I also have an IPD plenum, EVOM's exhaust and a REVO custom flash. What I will say that nobody can argue with is that I like the personality of the engine this way. Everything else is just bench racing and trash talk

Quick Reply: Running rich after KN intake?