Sponsored by:

Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Thanks for the link. Usually after I wash the car and let it sit they do rust. As soon as I hit the brakes the rust is gone. That is why I am wondering if it is worth the few extra dollars for coated.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Rob996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on how you plan on using your car, if you plan on doing a lot of track events or mostly street driving will help determin what rotors and pads to use. What calipers are you using?
I have used both Pagid and PFC pads with serveal sets of stock rotors with amazing results.

FWIW, the price, fit and quality of OE disc's is hard to beat. Once you go into with separate hats and rotors and rotors the price jumps pretty quickly, and remember they all wear out pretty quickly.

my $0.02
Old 01-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator996
Thanks for the link. Usually after I wash the car and let it sit they do rust. As soon as I hit the brakes the rust is gone. That is why I am wondering if it is worth the few extra dollars for coated.
No Gator, the rust actually develops on the hat of the rotor (in addition to the rotor suface). The hat will not be rubbed by the brake pads so no braking can remove the rust!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:15 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Coated is mostly aesthetics IMO, however I do find coated rotors to be useful for folks living in the snow belt where I've seen and experienced my fair share of wheels that werre stuck onto the rotors from rust over a period of time.

Like others have mentioned, the OEM rotors do have a coating on the hats.

Aftermarket rotors like Zimmerman come FULLY coated.LOL. You actually have to brake a few times to rub off the coating on the rotor surface where the pads touch it.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Originally Posted by Gator996
No Gator, the rust actually develops on the hat of the rotor (in addition to the rotor suface). The hat will not be rubbed by the brake pads so no braking can remove the rust!
Ok, I'm with ya now. Forgive me, it's Monday and I am still recovering from a five day weekend!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:29 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

before you put them on, just paint them with high temp paint...no issues here.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
before you put them on, just paint them with high temp paint...no issues here.

And no need to mask the lift (same color)
Old 01-28-2013, 05:47 PM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Regarding taking the calipers off, put a piece of wood between your seat and the brake pedal to depress the pedal around ½ - 1 inch. That shuts off the master cylinder valve. I have day my calipers off for 4 weeks and the zip locks around the brake lines have only a few drops in.
I think it was Sneaky Pete who gave me the tip, but it is the best brake tip ever (having previously had leaking brake fluid everywhere.
I have just in the process or re-finishing and rebuilding my calipers and painting the rotors, my take is don’t even bother to try and paint them yourself, it’s a huge amount of work and the finish is crap. Pay $200 and get them blasted and powdercoated, the finish is amazing and well worth saving the time.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Thank you RossC. Exactly what I needed.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rossclifford
I have just in the process or re-finishing and rebuilding my calipers and painting the rotors, my take is don’t even bother to try and paint them yourself, it’s a huge amount of work and the finish is crap. Pay $200 and get them blasted and powdercoated, the finish is amazing and well worth saving the time.
If you're a first time painter then yes I would have someone else do it. Otherwise for the people that have painted stuff before, it's not that much work at all and can come out looking very nice.

Either way, this would be a good time to inspect your piston seals for deterioration or wear as well.

Done with Duplicolor High Heat Paint and Clear Coat. Home Rattle Can Spray Job:

Old 01-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

I painted them before but wasn't thrilled with results. I am having a friend bead blast them before I paint them. I will be replacing the seals.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:20 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Akshun
Hey man, i did a full brake job in the summer, i used Sebro rotors with textar pads.
The Sebro's are excellent quality, they were coated but on the pelican website it says they are not. The Textar pads are of good quality as well, got everything including retainer kits front and rear, shipped to Milton for under 1000.
The brakes work very well , installed easily and i have yet to hear the famous "squeal" that Porsche's are supposed to have.
+1 on Sebro/textar

The coating is on the areas of the rotor that do not come in contact with the pads .. Prevents rust. Looks like grey zinc powder
Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I could find the Zimmerman Z coated fronts in a few places for about $100 eac, but the rears were harder to find, Vertex has them about $125 each. Anyone else find better? Lower dust pads with good braking and modulation?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I really like the Hawk HPS (blue) pads installed last year. Great performance and significantly less dust than OEM.

Quick Reply: Brake Rotors