Sponsored by:

IMS Guardian

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 05:33 PM
darbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMS Guardian

I am new to Rennlist and recently bought an 04 996 with 26k miles. I had done my research and decided to buy the IMS Guardian. When I received it I noticed two things that made me decide to return it. One, the plug does not sit flush with the pan and ANY debris on the road could potentially knock it off and the rest is history. Two, my mechanic warned me that it will buzz incessantly so you will never really know if you are in trouble. Has anybody installed it and had a pleasant experience?
Old 01-27-2013, 05:48 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No problems with mine on either account. Unless the circuit is completed with ferrous debris it isn't going to buzz. Curious how your guy drew that conclusion. Never heard of such a concern or complaint. I would think the odds are slim that road debris are going to hit that plug and cause you a problem.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:49 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Instead of using a bandaid just fix the defect.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:51 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did both.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:50 PM
B r i a n
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have no issues with mine.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:36 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any impact hard enough to damage the Guardian will cause so much more damage that that would be the least of your worries. It is not the lowest point, by far. I'd be WAY more worried about the low hanging rubber coolant lines...if I were to worry about that sort of thing. Get another mechanic. Have had mine on for over a year, test it each time, which is the only time I hear it. Cheapest, most efficient way to detect early any metal in the oil stream. I also chose to install the engine skid plate, which provides a lot of impact protection for a cheap $90.

Last edited by perryinva; 01-27-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:38 PM
2300cc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one and haven't had any issues. It will only buzz if there is an issue (which is the point of the product) or if you use the push to test feature.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:01 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Out of the hundreds (probably more like thousands now) that we have produced only one has been damaged from road debris. That particular one hit a curb and the entire sump plate was compromised along with the MCD sensor. We replaced the sensor for the customer, no problem.

I have seen dozens of M96 engines compromised from road debris and I'll assure you that anything thats bad enough to take out the IMS Guardian MCD sensor would also take out the very weak sump plate anyway. In this scenario whether you have the IMSG or not, you are still going to dump your oil.

As for as the alarm going off, well if you receive an IMS Alert the entire point of the device is to illuminate and to emit an audible alert so the driver pulls over. If this occurs the unit will continue to alert and if you read the trouble shooting/ what to do in case of alert card that came with the device it will tell you to simply pop the fuse adaptor from the fuse box if wish to quieten the unit. If it was easy to just switch off the alert then the driver would receive the alert, switch it off (like hitting snooze on the alarm clock) and then the engine would fail anyway. The IMS Alert does not "buzz" unless you have an imminent issue.

Of all the units we have sold only two have been returned because someone didn't "like" the system. Thats fine, thats why we offer a 30 day money back guarantee on the systems bought directly from us and other sellers offer similar programs.

Quick Reply: IMS Guardian