Sponsored by:

unknown chassis number

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 01:43 PM
stevedavies
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default unknown chassis number

Help looking for advice! I bought a fire damaged 996 coupe (1999 manual) last year. Have now finished restoration and car runs great. Remote fob does not work so decided last week to go to Porsche main dealer to buy new fob and get reprogrammed. Dealer could not do it because.....

In restoring car I had to replace the DME, alarm box and fob from donor car ( dont have chassis number). All was good except remote fob didnt work.

When I took it to Porsche they said they couldnt do it because I didnt have the chassis number of donor car??? I s this correct? If they are correct what options ( practical!) do I have to get a working remote fob? Cost for a new fob ( inc reprogramming) is approx £180 from Porsche ( in UK).

A working fob is 'nice to have' but if it is going to cost daft money then am going to have to put up with keyed entry
Old 01-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To re-program a DME and/or alarm control box you need BOTH the old codes and the new codes. They can lookup the old codes if you have the VIN from the donor vehicle. Without that it is a lost cause.

Quick Reply: unknown chassis number