Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Simple 3-step complete coolant drain (updated w/ refill procedure + water pump tips)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 03:57 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Glad to hear this DIY continues to be useful. Re flushing product, I don't really see the need unless you have oil coolant intermix.
Distilled water is good enough and fresh coolant will provide the corrosion protection the engine needs.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:23 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

I use the uview vacuum tool for both refilling as well as evacuating coolant. The Uview comes with rubber adaptors to fit onto the coolant bottle perfectly, then I just use the air compressor to evacuate coolant for the entire system. Mu 997.2 holds about qts of coolant and was able to purge 7 qts without having to remove any hoses. To me, evacuating 7 qts is good enough. Great writeup on the process through.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:54 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Glad to hear this DIY continues to be useful. Re flushing product, I don't really see the need unless you have oil coolant intermix.
Distilled water is good enough and fresh coolant will provide the corrosion protection the engine needs.
Absolutely. I saw where you were highly regarded for technical advice. Everything I have seen from you supports this 100%. Thank you.

Makes sense on the flush product. There is no evidence of intermix. Flushing with heated water should be just the ticket.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:02 PM
montauk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the coolant you're removing is considering a lifetime coolant and you're replacing it with a Porsche approved coolant, what do you expect to gain by flushing it? The only thing left is a bit of older coolant that your engine was just fine with before you drained it. It's a closed system. If the coolant you removed was contaminated it would be a good idea but otherwise why bother?
Old 02-04-2019, 05:19 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
I use the uview vacuum tool for both refilling as well as evacuating coolant. The Uview comes with rubber adaptors to fit onto the coolant bottle perfectly, then I just use the air compressor to evacuate coolant for the entire system. Mu 997.2 holds about qts of coolant and was able to purge 7 qts without having to remove any hoses. To me, evacuating 7 qts is good enough. Great writeup on the process through.
Wow, nice to know it even works on a 997.2! I have not worked on one and have not studied its cooling system yet. Sounds like it's very similar to 996 then.

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Absolutely. I saw where you were highly regarded for technical advice. Everything I have seen from you supports this 100%. Thank you.

Makes sense on the flush product. There is no evidence of intermix. Flushing with heated water should be just the ticket.
Thanks! Always fun to exchange knowledge with fellow enthusiasts
Old 02-04-2019, 06:11 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by montauk
If the coolant you're removing is considering a lifetime coolant and you're replacing it with a Porsche approved coolant, what do you expect to gain by flushing it? The only thing left is a bit of older coolant that your engine was just fine with before you drained it. It's a closed system. If the coolant you removed was contaminated it would be a good idea but otherwise why bother?
Not sure if you are directing this at me. I'll field it anyway...

Define "lifetime". The additives break down over time. Plus debris from any number of sources may be introduced.

Personally, I won't be taking a chance on it. I have no knowledge of what was in the car when I bought it. I could test it - but why not start with a clean slate, knowing full well what is going in and at what concentration? Again it can, and will, be tested periodically. If one is opening the system to replace components (waterpump, thermostat, etc.) - wouldn't one want to put a little more investment into it to be safe and provide additional confidence?

I guess that's why I'd bother.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 02-04-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:19 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

^^The smart and safe thing to do, I did too!
Old 02-04-2019, 08:54 PM
montauk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not suggesting reusing old coolant. I just replaced my water and used the recommended Porsche coolant. As far as I know the coolant was 14 years old. I was wondering more about flushing the system. I'm a terrible writer.

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Not sure if you are directing this at me. I'll field it anyway...
Define "lifetime". The additives break down over time. Plus debris from any number of sources may be introduced.

Personally, I won't be taking a chance on it. I have no knowledge of what was in the car when I bought it. I could test it - but why not start with a clean slate, knowing full well what is going in and at what concentration? Again it can, and will, be tested periodically. If one is opening the system to replace components (waterpump, thermostat, etc.) - wouldn't one want to put a little more investment into it to be safe and provide additional confidence?

I guess that's why I'd bother.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:04 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

I'm not suggesting reusing old coolant. I just replaced my water and used the recommended Porsche coolant. As far as I know the coolant was 14 years old. I was wondering more about flushing the system. I'm a terrible writer.
I think I got that from your post. In my case, I have no idea if the coolant has ever been changed. The car is 18 years old, with 123k miles. I found a little "salt" on the waterpump. I believe that flushing it will do no harm, and may actually be beneficial. There may be aluminum scale or other impurities in the system that I would like removed. I've got a few things to do before I will start driving the car. This is not holding that up. Why not do it?
Old 02-05-2019, 11:40 AM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Great write up! I have used it on my 2001 C2 and it worked perfectly!
I have a third radiator so it took all of 6 gallons of mixed coolant to fully fill mine!!!

If I remember correctly someone mentioned that a name brand fabric softener was a "cheater" product used to flush the oil out of the cooling system when you have oil in it!?
Does anyone know what it was? I think the logic was that the product would not harm the block, heads, lines or fittings unlike some other cleaning products made to flush out your cooling system... but it did a number to the stuck on oil?
Old 02-05-2019, 11:45 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by joe-1972
Great write up! I have used it on my 2001 C2 and it worked perfectly!
I have a third radiator so it took all of 6 gallons of mixed coolant to fully fill mine!!!

If I remember correctly someone mentioned that a name brand fabric softener was a "cheater" product used to flush the oil out of the cooling system when you have oil in it!?
Does anyone know what it was? I think the logic was that the product would not harm the block, heads, lines or fittings unlike some other cleaning products made to flush out your cooling system... but it did a number to the stuck on oil?
Warm water and "Shout", IIRC.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:02 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

It was indeed “Shout”, it’s actually a stain remover. Needs to be used with very hot water, closer to boiling the better.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:57 AM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

same here as what others said. I bought the car a week after the coolant had been changed, but wasn’t able to confirm what was used for the refill. Given I had heard that various coolants don’t mix well, I wanted to flush/rinse out as much of the old (brand new unknown coolant) as possible. Perhaps a bit over the top, but wanted to consider the coolant system “done for a while” once finished and took the extra half hour to flush distilled water through the system before filling with the proper fluids.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:04 PM
PacNW3
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jllphan

same here as what others said. I bought the car a week after the coolant had been changed, but wasn’t able to confirm what was used for the refill. Given I had heard that various coolants don’t mix well, I wanted to flush/rinse out as much of the old (brand new unknown coolant) as possible. Perhaps a bit over the top, but wanted to consider the coolant system “done for a while” once finished and took the extra half hour to flush distilled water through the system before filling with the proper fluids.
I’m somewhat in the same boat. From what I understand, the dangerous mixture is more about types & organic vs other compounds, but it hardly seems worth the risk. I’m going to do a complete flush & refill with VW/Audi coolant so I know what’s in there.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:14 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

BTW, you don't need Porsche's coolant with 300% markup. They don;t make coolants and I use Zerex G40 which is 100% .

Quick Reply: Simple 3-step complete coolant drain (updated w/ refill procedure + water pump tips)