Sponsored by:

FVD or "x51" oil baffles

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 01:37 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
I replaced my stock pan with X51 and the baffles were virtually identical. I question whether it's worth upgrading just the pan. Someone, ProDriver?, recently posted an image of enlarged X51 baffle openings. You may be better off just modifying your stock setup. Otherwise, Accusump seems like a sure fire solution.
as for sump alone, the detail is in the pudding. The x51 and the stock pan are not the same. Ive looked at the two side by side and the slight details of the two have "baffled" me for quite some time... bottom line is that the x51 will hold more oil at the pick-up.

What the aftermarket vendor need to do is to redesign the single pickup to add multiple pickup and redesign the baffles... (essentially the 991 sump). Now that would be cool.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:59 PM
EBS_Don
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys,

There is no doubt that an X51 baffle or our baffle(sold by LN, Pelican, Tarett, EBS Racing) is the best value in an oil system improvement. We have guys running these on tracks around the world with excellent results. Our version has a much better door design than Porsche's but the basic concept is the same. An accusmp can help but it's price and added complexity is not for everyone. For street use, the kits with increased capacity may cause ground clearance issues especially for those with better suspensions. Contact me with any questions or concerns. By the way, we alway have our baffle kits in stock.

Don Weaver-EBS Racing
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2013, 04:19 AM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Once I have mine, it fit it from below and photo up, and show why it is better.

Don: why are there two small holes at the bottom in the corners where oil can escape out of the main pickup area? In the photo at the top of the page is a version that doesnt have those holes, yet in yours there is. Many thanks for responding.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:44 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Im thinking those holes in the corner are oil feed for the pickup... btw the pickup is extremely close to bottoming out on the pan.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Originally Posted by redridge
Im thinking those holes in the corner are oil feed for the pickup... btw the pickup is extremely close to bottoming out on the pan.
Pickup should be close

But the holes dont make sense, that's exactly the opposite of what you want and in all photos of the original x51 by Porsche, they dont exist. Once I have mine, there has got to be a reason like an attachment post in the pan or something like that, or I will weld them up.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:50 PM
EBS_Don
Rennlist Member

Actually, when the baffle is fitted to the pan those gaps almost, functionally, disappear. The aluminum pan is designed around the original plastic baffle and the casting follows its profile. When either ours or the original X51 is fitted it goes around that feature in the casting so that very little oil can quickly move around or through the cut outs. Allowing a small amount of oil movement at the very bottom of the pan does not pose any issues as there is a much larger volume of oil to control above.

BTW, one of the big improvements in our baffle is a change in the size, shape and position of the door windows. This is a feature that FVD did not address in their version.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Black_on_black
Instructor

FWIW I am now halfway through installation, takes awhile to scrape off all the old "rubber" from the sealant. Installation is easy however foresee risk of cracking the pan as it takes quite some force to squeeze the "tabs" to fit...we'll see.

Here is a progress pic:

Old 02-17-2013, 09:24 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

hey what kind of plastic are you using , I mean those orange parts ?

I just picked up a baffle but the plastics are very thin, I would like to try a tighter fit but no idea which plastic are ok to stay immersed in engine oil like that ?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

It came with them, they are glued in place.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:33 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
For this reason alone, X51 is the way to go in my opinion. Also there are a LOT of racers using X51, and no real evidence of oil starvation.
+1

Navarro's quote earlier in this thread is a joke. There are many, many 996 race cars running R-compound and full racing slicks with the X51 plan and no issues. My engine is entering it's 5th season of competition on full racing slicks and it has seen more than its far share of high-g corners, banking, elevation changes, etc. and I never see a drop in oil pressure. Running the stock IMS bearing as well.

Ground clearance is important. The only issue I did have was cracking my X51 pan during an off track excursion. Some of the other alternatives could make this an even bigger problem.

No reason to over think this. X51 pan is plenty adequate on track and probably overkill on a street car. It's a shame the marketing hype is leading so many people to question the reliability of these engines.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:43 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

just as an FYI I did not have the X51 in the video below and you can see clearly the oil pressure drop
I will install the x51 baffle soon and report video on the same track to see.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:37 AM
EBS_Don
Rennlist Member

By the way, because of slight variations in pan castings, I find that to properly fit our baffle you sometimes have to remove the lower "tabs" seals. The flat section of the baffle that the screws go through should be seated fully against the pan when done.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

That helps a lot!!

I can't fit it like it is now, so was about to remove it...thanks for confirming.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:04 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
There are many, many 996 race cars running R-compound and full racing slicks with the X51 plan and no issues. My engine is entering it's 5th season of competition on full racing slicks and it has seen more than its far share of high-g corners, banking, elevation changes, etc. and I never see a drop in oil pressure. Running the stock IMS bearing as well.
It is my understanding that low oil pressure is only happening on a couple select tracks. If you're not driving on these tracks then you would probably never encounter it.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:28 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW I use the EBS baffle in a X51 pan. I like the metal flaps better than the rubber ones in the OEM X51 version. I've data logged my car at 155-160 tru T2 at Cal Speedway, a LH, 18 degree banked turn. I've never seen anything lower than 4 bar....

Quick Reply: FVD or "x51" oil baffles