Sponsored by:

Do 996's have drive off assistant?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by targa996
I think OP got his answer in the first reply .. the other replies are for amusement of rest of forum readers
I think that is OK in the spirit of the forum. The best driver aid i've seen recently is the auto throttle blip on the Nissan 370Z stick ... I'd rather have that than hill hold ... in UK we had to learn to start the car on a steep hill as part of the driving test - even if you slipped back a few inches you failed !
Still on Driving in the UK.. I can second that statement re hill failure roll back in the UK.

Also:- why the original poster or any prospective Porche 996 buyer would consider buying an Automatic/tiptronic as against the 6 gear version beats me. That must be like washing your feet with your socks on.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:17 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

One of my friends just purchased a diesel VW Jetta wagon with the hill holder option.

I stalled it 5 times trying to start up a hill. I couldn't get adjusted to waiting a couple beats to release the clutch.
I kept stalling, then the brake would release and it would roll back.
It was disconcerting.
I'm sure that I would eventually get the hang of it.
Of course then I would probably roll back into whatever was behind me next time I drove the 996.

I was very impressed with the diesels' flexibility. It had a very broad torque curve.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:08 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah. I have stalled the car quite a few times. The clutch takeup is weird, along with the torque curve (even though it's quite large). You don't have to wait the 2 seconds. You start moving and the brakes will release. The hill hold is just giving you time to move your foot off the brake and onto the throttle for getting to go.

If you have the VCDS (the VW/Audi equivalent of a durametric) you can tweak the amount of hill holding you want or turn it off altogether. I've still kept it on just to give me time to adjust to it.

I will say that now I am so used to it, that I have to remind myself that the 996 doesn't have that feature, nor does it have things like comfort blinker for changing lanes

Originally Posted by fpb111
One of my friends just purchased a diesel VW Jetta wagon with the hill holder option.

I stalled it 5 times trying to start up a hill. I couldn't get adjusted to waiting a couple beats to release the clutch.
I kept stalling, then the brake would release and it would roll back.
It was disconcerting.
I'm sure that I would eventually get the hang of it.
Of course then I would probably roll back into whatever was behind me next time I drove the 996.

I was very impressed with the diesels' flexibility. It had a very broad torque curve.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The biggest improvement I made on the smooth take up with the clutch was actually putting on new motor mounts. The difference in clutch engagement on a hill is simply amazing. I've been truely shocked at the difference. I have hill assist on my '08 Cooper S (auto/paddle). My wife adores it.

Quick Reply: Do 996's have drive off assistant?