Sponsored by:

Windshield washer fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 01:06 PM
TideRace
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Windshield washer fluid leak

I tried out the headlight & windshield washers for the first time the other day and got a brief spurt and then nothing, although it sounded like the pump was still trying. No low fluid level warning indicator though. I used a funnel to carefully pour in a gallon of the blue stuff but toward the end of the fill noticed that I had a little blue river forming behind the front tire and running down the street. Some of it found an exit over the top of the front of the rocker panel but most was pouring out behind it. It didn't look like output equaled input so maybe some stayed in the reservoir. In any case, can this be accessed from the top or do you have to r&r the inner fender lining to inspect/repair?
Old 12-19-2011, 01:09 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can remove the plastic cowling in the trunk to inspect the hoses.

But the tank lives behind the drivers wheel. You have to remove the wheel liner (and wheel first). I think it is held in place with a nut and then two compression fittings, to remove it you just "pull the tank towards you". Be careful, if there is fluid in there and it is tipped the fluid will come out, the pour spout opening on the side will not be covered.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:35 PM
TideRace
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks - I'll check it out from the topside later today and see if it's a simple hose job.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

This has happened to me after a few DE's. The hose that connects to the tank comes loose. Like Logray states.....go at from the drivers front wheel well. You have to remove a couple plastic 10mm nuts. Start pulling the liner away enough to get your hand in there. Feel around for the tank and the hose. You will find the connection point and just insert the hose. You might want to pick up a spring clamp for the hose. It will never work its way out again. Good luck!
Old 12-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 103 Posts

Had the same issue. What those guys said ^
Old 12-21-2011, 02:28 PM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My '99's reservoir "leaked" too. Rather than the hoses though, I suspect the seals at the base of the one or both of the pumps are leaking. The headlight washer pump sits higher than the windshield washer pump; ergo, if the former is the leaking culprit, then enough fluid can be retained in the reservoir to permit at least limited windshield washer operations before tripping the fluid level float sensor.

I replaced both sets of seals, ands still get some leakage. Oh, well.

relinuca
Old 12-21-2011, 05:03 PM
100plus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the exact same problem now ... I just keep refilling it. Cant be bothered. Less water = less weight anyway! (;
Old 12-22-2011, 09:45 AM
spender
Pro

I spent all summer chasing this down - my mechanic first thought it was the reservoir leaking, so replaced that. However, it then turned out to be the windshield pump that had the leak.

I guess I should be happy that this was the only thing that my car needed to go in for this year!
Old 12-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 103 Posts

The tubing in this system is more extensive than you might thing (especially if you have headlight washers). There are several joints between tubes that can leak so it will likely require some inspection to find the problem. In my case a joint was completely disconnected. You can easily test whether something is a problem by running system while you watch the suspected leak point. I was about to order a new pump and decided to dig into things first. I'm glad I did...three years later and still no issues. I just needed to reconnected the tubing.

-Shawn
Old 03-09-2012, 02:10 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Fluid was gushing out every time I activated the headlight washer! Well, I took off the liner inside the wheel well hoping to see a disconnected hose line BUT the fluid is pouring out of the bottom of a black plastic thingy through a huge hole. Seems like the bottom of the thingy is broken off!!!!!!!!!!
What next? What is this and how do I take it out?
Old 03-09-2012, 02:12 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Drain it. Keep it empty. Pick up about 1 HP.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:24 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

But, but, the nozzles springing up are sooo cool!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2012, 02:26 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RXDOC
But, but, the nozzles springing up are sooo cool!!!!!!!!!!
2 words:

Over
Rated

And it gets the car "wet".
Old 01-22-2013, 09:14 PM
agsurf5
AutoX

mine (09 TT) started leaking the other day for no apparent reason. a lot of washer fluid coming out of wheel side.

today i took everything apart. i broke the damn filler neck clicking thing.....
it looks like the leak is from the base of the pump.
i took the gasket out, put it back on, but it still leaks.

i was thinking of ordering a new gasket and give it a try again. but being such a painful process, i was wondering if you guys think it is the pump leaking.
gasket seemed to be in a decent shape. so i am not sure....

ps car has a few miles....75k. so rubber could be not so good.

Quick Reply: Windshield washer fluid leak