996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

You May Be Able to Repair , Not Replace Your SAI

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 12:42 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It comes on on my car every single time I exit the interstate and stop at a stop light, any time of the year. So it has nothing to do with outside temperature. It also comes on everytime I stop in a parking lot and when I get in to my garage, for maybe 5 seconds. I assume there is a net build up of combustibles, such that under normal driving condition, enough unburned oxygen flows through the engine, but when you stop and the flow chokes back to idle, the SAI kicks in until those gases are flushed out.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:06 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by perryinva
It comes on on my car every single time I exit the interstate and stop at a stop light, any time of the year. So it has nothing to do with outside temperature. It also comes on everytime I stop in a parking lot and when I get in to my garage, for maybe 5 seconds. I assume there is a net build up of combustibles, such that under normal driving condition, enough unburned oxygen flows through the engine, but when you stop and the flow chokes back to idle, the SAI kicks in until those gases are flushed out.
Mine only comes on when the car is cold...1st start in the morning and than at start up for the drive home. The colder temps we have the longer it stays on.

Perry......you sure you aren't hearing the radiator fans? Or your rear deck lid fan?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:09 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

del. posted new thread for DIY

Last edited by KrazyK; 01-14-2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 01-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought you could get that bearing seal out without destroying it. Good to know. Any idea if any of your "injected" grease actually got into the bearing? Tough to tell from the picture, but maybe you could tell when you were doing the injection.

S.

Quick Reply: You May Be Able to Repair , Not Replace Your SAI