jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

[mistake.....
Old 01-14-2013, 11:36 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My indie used lubro moly .. German stuff ...engineered for Porsche .. Cheaper than oem. I'm happy so far - but no track yet. Check their website.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:57 PM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve's MLC
I don't understand this statement. Is he saying the 40th transmission will lose its LSD? Is that why he recommends Delvac, since it works with both LSD and non LSD?
He was commenting on the fact that 996 LSD's like mine in stock form were high wear items... this being my first LSD I just listened. After friction materials wear it moves to acting like a semi or open diff... again, I'm n o LSD expert, just sharing what I heard.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:11 AM
Viper6
Racer

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Street GT3 996's have this issue though I'm not sure it translates over to the G96/01 transmissions found in all 996 C2's. The issue has to due with how loosely the GT3 diffs were set up from the factory. I've never heard of that being an issue with the 996 diffs which by the way are ramped at 25/55 IIRC. I'm currently racing one with Guard clutches/spacers but the stock ramping. It works great under decel, maybe a little loose on acel but I normally race a 50/80 diff....

I personally don't like Delvac for 996 C2/4 transmissions (G96/01). It's recommended (usually by dealerships) for GT3's (G96/96) and cup cars but your transmission is different internally and not as robust. I believe Viper 6's tech was referring to a GT3 fill. The Motul you looked at is a much better product for your needs.....
Sounds like you have extensive P-car LSD experience and tuning... I think the tech was saying the clutch packs in the stock LSD were weak and I was niave if I thought after 10k that I still had a full LSD acting in there at that point... again, I have no experience so I just listened and appreciated his time and perspective.

He specifically stated Delvac was good for all 996 and they use for all their services including GT3 and is what they recommended and sell for that reason... good to hear your take on it as well however. I'll definitely post my experiences as this will be my 4th gear oil within 30 days... hopefully this is the one but I'm ok if not since relatively cheap experiment... trying 3 separate afttermarket is still less than buying OEM fill and will be one of my contributions to the rest of the forum so others may benefit... figured it would be worth a try so what the hell... as I learned from my fathers recent passing, you can't take it with you...
Old 01-15-2013, 12:14 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow Viper, sorry about your Dad.

So is the correct answer Shell or Mobil?????
Old 01-15-2013, 12:30 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used AC Delco Syncromesh in mine, It's not Porsche approved, but I have had luck with it in every manual vehicle I have owned. It was developed as a GM product with a special friction modifier for a GM truck transmission to save them from replacing all of the transmissions they sold and it worked. I have used it with awesome results in any honda transmission I have had including my civic with type r tranny and strait cut gears. All my Nissan trannies, my two M3 trannies etc. So when it came time to do the clutch, flywheel, RMS, IMS and tranny flush in my C4s, I figured I would give it a shot and have had awesome luck with that as well.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:36 AM
Viper6
Racer

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Wow Viper, sorry about your Dad.
Thx man
Old 01-15-2013, 02:34 AM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Well with Redline you need to specify NS if you do not have a LSD and thus do not want the extra friction modifiers. I've had good results in 987/996 with 75w-90 NS.

So 75w-90 would be your formulation: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=57904
Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I used AC Delco Syncromesh in mine,
Never thought about using Syncromesh. Interesting, tell us more. Hows it doing in the C4S?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Akshun
Advanced

anyone try the Royal Purple brand??
i have a 1999 996, not sure what ill try when i change my manual tranny fluid.
I do know that when im driving on a hot day, my 2nd gear usually pops out when i try to shift from 1st to 2nd, but in the cold, when oil is thicker, it shifts beautifully.
maybe i should try a different viscosity rating.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:58 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Never thought about using Syncromesh. Interesting, tell us more. Hows it doing in the C4S?
I am very satisfied with it, it isnt approved for anything other than a few specific GM vehicles but is so over engineered that it is probably better than most MTF's out there. My C4S was a little notchy shifting between gears, most apparent between second and third. When I got the car I changed all the fluids, I put Lubromoly in the tranny which helped but not significantly. When I later did my clutch I figured I would give Synchromesh a try since whether I did it or not chances of my tranny needing a rebuild in the future were very likely. I have had it in for 15,000km and it is still shifting like a dream, fluid condition is still very good, and there were no shavings on my magnetic drain plug.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:42 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanturbo
I used AC Delco Syncromesh in mine, It's not Porsche approved, but I have had luck with it in every manual vehicle I have owned. It was developed as a GM product with a special friction modifier for a GM truck transmission to save them from replacing all of the transmissions they sold and it worked. I have used it with awesome results in any honda transmission I have had including my civic with type r tranny and strait cut gears. All my Nissan trannies, my two M3 trannies etc. So when it came time to do the clutch, flywheel, RMS, IMS and tranny flush in my C4s, I figured I would give it a shot and have had awesome luck with that as well.
I've had the same experiences and generally agree with this although I would be hesitant to use on my p-car. The problem I have is that a lot of people use this as a bandaid to just mask and get their trannies to run longer when it should've really been replaced or repaired. I'd be curious at the long term effects on the Porsche tranny.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:32 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Here's why your tech is telling you your LSD is toast:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...sd-buster.html

The 2004 996 Anniversary vehicles got the same LSD as the 2004 GT3s, so they actually have decent ramps in them. All you need to do to make it a fully functional LSD is reclutch it...
Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GTgears
Here's why your tech is telling you your LSD is toast:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...sd-buster.html

The 2004 996 Anniversary vehicles got the same LSD as the 2004 GT3s, so they actually have decent ramps in them. All you need to do to make it a fully functional LSD is reclutch it...
Come on Matt, you can do better than that. Talk oil....

PS: Good to know about the 40th using the GT3 diff...
Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by b8_rdc
Well with Redline you need to specify NS if you do not have a LSD and thus do not want the extra friction modifiers. I've had good results in 987/996 with 75w-90 NS.

So 75w-90 would be your formulation: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=57904

This: http://store.redlinespeedworx.com/pr...ar_comp_ff.htm

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Fluid?