Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Car totaled, buy back salvage/repair, sell parts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 06:03 PM
AronG
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
Thank you again for all the input. Car just delivered to my house so I got a few pics, post partial parts removal. Thought some of you may be interested in add'l pictures.
Attached Images    
Old 01-08-2013, 06:20 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

I probably have most of the parts you need lying around my shop.
I've got a completely parted 01 S and a 00 Boxster forsale just for parts.

Remember the Boxster fronts are the same as the 996

Mike

Last edited by txhokie4life; 01-08-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

That looks to be over $20K damage more if the passenger side airbag went off. (I'm told if this goes off it destroys the dash.)

My Turbo needed front bumper cover, passenger side fender, front trunk, passenger side headlight and radiator and A/C condensor, vapor recovery system, tire, wheel, the fender shelf straightened and paint for the replaced panels and took over 60 days and $25K to put right.

Except for the Celette Bench being needed to reposition the fender shelf no other chassis/tube damage found.

My Cayman S received a side impact on its driver's side front wheel and the adjuster stopped counting at $43K.

Forgot to mention: Open the front trunk lid and take a straight ahead shot of the trunk. If the passenger side caved in any or the trunk is otherwise not symmetrical that's going to take some serious Celette Bench time to put right.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:47 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Take the money and leave the car. It's toast.

The wheel did not take the force of the impact the chassis did that is where the front wheel/suspension and fender attaches. The tub has suffered damage. The front cross member is bent.

One or more suspension and steering components is bent and where they attach/bolt up have been pushed out of position.

The proper position of these suspension attachment points is hard to restore.

As for keeping the car and parting it out... Yuck. Who wants some old rotting carcass of a smashed car even a Porsche taking up space in his driveway, garage or yard so he can be at the mercy of some greasy low life parts pickers coming around on weekends to try to get you to let a $1000 part go for $10 and probably destroying that much in hardware taking it off.

Let some business that deals in salvage have the car.

Take the money and leave the car. It's toast.
Look where the fender is crumpled in the most - it's the ahead of the axle. The energy was absorbed the body work rather than the suspension, since the wheel just pushed in the rack and turned left, leaving the sheet metal to crumple. Also the aluminum bits will yield before the chassis.

Hard to say, though, without seeing the underside. AronG, can you snap some pics with the wheel off?

Last edited by halik; 01-09-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry to see what happened to you. Everybody gripes about guns so maybe I'll buy a bull whip for any lame fool playing that sort of accident on the little porsche.

Pray for snow and mount skis on the front?
Old 07-26-2014, 07:47 AM
germanbodwill
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a salvage title for your car, and get the car sold for the parts which may be a great deal for you.

copart auto auction

Last edited by germanbodwill; 07-26-2014 at 08:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Car totaled, buy back salvage/repair, sell parts?