Sponsored by:

Windshield Replaced Alarm Now Funky

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 07:51 AM
cinellipro
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Windshield Replaced Alarm Now Funky

Safelite replaced the windshield on my 99 996 on Friday. They installed an OEM windshield including a new exterior molding. Looked great and professionally finished. I also noticed the interior was quieter while driving on the freeway. However, when I arrived at work the OEM alarm did not react the way it normally does.
The red LED light on the protruding piece on the dashboard stopped flashing and now the continuous flash comes from two red bars in front of that protruding piece. When the doors are locked the two bars flash at a rapid pace for a few seconds and then change to a slower pace. Also, I thought there was another flashing red LED coming from the radio. That has also stopped. I haven't owned the car long enough (3 weeks) to remember the alarm details, but I thought the LED flash came from the top "button" of that dashboard piece?
I contacted Safelite and made an appointment to have them look at my car next week. However, I can't imagine the technician diagnosing the problem without having to pull off the windshield again and knowing the electrical details of a Porsche alarm.
I had no idea windshield replacement would have affected the alarm. I'm going drive the car a couple of times and see if everything resets.
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2014, 08:35 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

It might be a good idea to take it to a Porsche place and have them check over your alarm system. It may have to be re-set after a window replacement. Ring them. They will know. It only cost me $80 for them to re-set mine which had 'slipped back' into sports car delivery mode. The radio code may also have to be re-entered if the battery was disconnected. Porsche places have the correct diagnostic testers.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:50 AM
fl996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check for scratches on both fenders!! Looks like the cowl is sandwiched between the frunk lid and fenders...
Old 07-26-2014, 12:37 PM
PORCAR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fl996
I would check for scratches on both fenders!! Looks like the cowl is sandwiched between the frunk lid and fenders...
My first thought also. Sloppy.

Quick Reply: Windshield Replaced Alarm Now Funky