Notices
996 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: LN Engineering

996 --> 997 Front End Conversion Process and Pictures

 
Old 01-27-2013, 04:44 PM
  #46  
rpm's S2
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
rpm's S2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 2,626
Default

Fascinating on many levels. Thanks for the detail.

First ever argument favoring a front license plate... Automatic garage door sensor!
rpm's S2 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 07:23 PM
  #47  
halik
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
halik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 1,368
Default

Wow the first shot with the bumper missing the grille, I thought it looks off. But the finished thing is freaking great!
halik is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 05:53 PM
  #48  
wucash
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 260
Default Hi

How easy is it to plug the ligts? Do you need new wiring? or just old wiring? same with brackets, do you just get new brackets for the lights and it works without any modification?

I was just thinking if it would be possible to just change the lights, and then fabricate "something" to fill the gap where the signal lights are, and buy 997 signal lights and attach to the spoiler.

So the parts list would be 2 headlight 2 headlight brackets, 2 signal lights and thats it. the rest would be fibracated.
wucash is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 06:30 PM
  #49  
alpine003
Super User
 
alpine003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,701
Default

Originally Posted by wucash View Post
How easy is it to plug the ligts? Do you need new wiring? or just old wiring? same with brackets, do you just get new brackets for the lights and it works without any modification?

I was just thinking if it would be possible to just change the lights, and then fabricate "something" to fill the gap where the signal lights are, and buy 997 signal lights and attach to the spoiler.

So the parts list would be 2 headlight 2 headlight brackets, 2 signal lights and thats it. the rest would be fibracated.
I had this idea too but I don't think it will be as easy as that. At the minimum, you might need to fabricate custom headlight trays. Possibly modify the headlight opening on the fender slightly. You'll definitely need to rewire for the headlights.

I'll try to take some pics this weekend. I had a rough mockup using a 997 headlight.
alpine003 is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 07:15 PM
  #50  
KrazyK
Super User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,206
Default

It turned out very nice. Good job!
KrazyK is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:18 AM
  #51  
offshoreMM
User
Thread Starter
 
offshoreMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Guangzhou/Hong Kong
Posts: 42
Default

How easy is it to plug the ligts? Do you need new wiring? or just old wiring? same with brackets, do you just get new brackets for the lights and it works without any modification?

I was just thinking if it would be possible to just change the lights, and then fabricate "something" to fill the gap where the signal lights are, and buy 997 signal lights and attach to the spoiler.

So the parts list would be 2 headlight 2 headlight brackets, 2 signal lights and thats it. the rest would be fabricated.
Wiring the lights wasn't "easy", but it's not a huge mystery either, provided you have a bulb tester light, and lots of patience. Wiring diagrams online helped quite a bit.

As for trying to use a 997 headlight in a 996 fender with a modified tray; I think it might be difficult. Quite a bit of body work required, and some fabrication. More so than just modifying a 997 fender to fit the 996,
offshoreMM is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 02:50 PM
  #52  
wucash
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 260
Default

Originally Posted by alpine003 View Post
I had this idea too but I don't think it will be as easy as that. At the minimum, you might need to fabricate custom headlight trays. Possibly modify the headlight opening on the fender slightly. You'll definitely need to rewire for the headlights.

I'll try to take some pics this weekend. I had a rough mockup using a 997 headlight.
This sounds interesting, I need to find a 997 and park beside it and compare few things if this would even be possible.
wucash is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:37 PM
  #53  
alpine003
Super User
 
alpine003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,701
Default

Had a chance to snap some pics and confirmed that the 996 fender headlight opening would have to be trimmed and modified to accommodate the 997 headlights in addition to fabricating custom headlight trays.





alpine003 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 11:45 PM
  #54  
wucash
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 260
Default

Originally Posted by alpine003 View Post
Had a chance to snap some pics and confirmed that the 996 fender headlight opening would have to be trimmed and modified to accommodate the 997 headlights in addition to fabricating custom headlight trays.

This looks almost perfect i think a good metal fabricator would have no problem filling up that gap and making the light fit, while looking factory.

why not use the 997 headlight trays?
wucash is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 11:52 PM
  #55  
alpine003
Super User
 
alpine003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,701
Default

Originally Posted by wucash View Post
This looks almost perfect i think a good metal fabricator would have no problem filling up that gap and making the light fit, while looking factory.

why not use the 997 headlight trays?
No it's actually not. The inner part of the headlight overlaps the 996 headlight opening. So you would need to cut the hole larger on that side and shape it accordingly in addition to all the other things.

If you were doing the bodywork DIY, it might be feasible financially. But labor wise, you're probably looking at 40-50 hours to get it perfect. At $85-$110/hr for labor(around here), it doesn't make too much sense.
alpine003 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 11:52 PM
  #56  
street rod
User
 
street rod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,562
Default

I love the whole job. I would keep the tail lights as is and the duck tail is iceing on the cake.
street rod is offline  
Old 05-27-2014, 11:45 AM
  #57  
odurandina
Slayer of Economic Optimism

Rennlist Member
 
odurandina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Posts: 27,474
Default

holy **** !! utterly fantastic work!! now you've got me thinking about getting a 996, doing the rms/ims/ac pump and then attempting a similar conversion.... looks like a lot of work but the result..... wow.

I did something similar to yours in 2012; a 968 to 993 fender/Xenon headlamp conversion.
https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...-968-a-12.html

love your car!!
odurandina is offline  
Old 05-27-2014, 08:16 PM
  #58  
9964s
User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 26
Default

beautiful work. I can't even begin to think through that process. That's art....
9964s is offline  
Old 11-02-2014, 02:31 PM
  #59  
I am the Walrus
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
I am the Walrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 703
Default

Looks great!
I am the Walrus is offline  
Old 11-02-2014, 06:49 PM
  #60  
monster_996
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 14
Default

It really looks great!
monster_996 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 --> 997 Front End Conversion Process and Pictures


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: