996 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: LN Engineering

Door lock cylinder repair

Old 01-07-2013, 02:14 AM
Cydog
User

Question Door lock cylinder repair

When my key fob stopped locking/unlocking my car, I tried to do a reset by inserting the key into the door lock and turning the key all the way to the right while pressing the lock/unlock button on the key. Something happend to the lock cylinder while doing this reset procedure; now the lock cylinder (and key) turns left and right but doesn't lock or unlock the door. It seems as if the connection between the lock cylinder and the lock assembly has failed.

Any idea what has happened? What should the repair consist of and cost?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:55 AM
Redbarn
Addict
Rennlist Member

I recently had the same problem, my Indy fixed it in 30 mins, no parts required, door card removed, key lock connecting rod had come off the door lock mechanism.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:57 PM
911purist

Gents, any more details on this? Just had this happen to me today after attempting the key FOB reset procedure. Sounds like a silly question but whats the door card and how is it removed? Any details / illustrations would be useful. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:52 PM
fpb111
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 06-21-2013, 08:12 AM
911purist

Thanks FPB, I figured it must have been a silly question, door cards are door panels. Anyway the guide was great, the bentley one was better I thought.

Now, eventually, and with a few other youtube guides and other sources, I eventually managed to remove door handle. The key lock connecting rod is the culprit alright, except it wasn't disconnected from the door lock, it wasn't rotating as the key was turned. They mechanism from inside seems to have failed.

Now this leads me to the following questions:

A. Does this mean I have to change the key cylinder alongside housing unit?
B. I found two possible parts as options, one is the housing unit with the key cylinder and a key blade (part no. 99653796), and the other is a Lock Set - doors and glove box inc keys (part no. 99653800102). Either route I take, it seems like I will have a different key for the ignition. Is there not a way were I can change the key cylinder while retaining the old key? Otherwise if I want a single key for all (door, ignition and glove compartment) does that mean I have to change on all 3? If so, cant seem to find a set like that.

Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks
Old 06-19-2018, 08:00 PM
Leonardo111
User

Here's a good how to video I made with $4 ebay part

Old 11-21-2018, 08:37 PM
boostmonkey
New User

Default Wrong link to parts?

The link you include with your YouTube video takes you to an Ebay buy for vw parts..not 996 parts. Is this an error? Wanted to buy through the link but wasn't certain the parts were correct

BM

Originally Posted by Leonardo111 View Post
Here's a good how to video I made with $4 ebay part

https://youtu.be/pzSZnWOb_Z4
Old 11-22-2018, 02:16 AM
Leonardo111
User

it's correct. Watch the video and you'll understand

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door lock cylinder repair

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: