996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

When refueling; I can get 0.6 gallons in before I need to wait 10 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Kharz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When refueling; I can get 0.6 gallons in before I need to wait 10 seconds

The local Porsche dealer took off my front end and when they replace it; its a pain to refuel the car. Specifically; I can only get in 1/2 a gallon or so before I the fuel valve shuts off and I need to wait 10 seconds before I can start refueling again.

While not the end of the world; is there a simple solution to fix this ... i..e did a relief valve get clogged that I can unclogg?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:17 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have read about this "quirk" of our cars when refueling (also happens to me). Someone suggested turning the nozzle "upside down" (yup, sounds weird) and this tip actually works
Old 01-04-2013, 03:46 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

It is possible that the evap cannister has failed. This causes the same symptoms you describe. Basically, there is no way for the air to escape the tank as it is displaced by the fuel, and this causes the auto shut off on the pump handle to trigger. There is a Porsche Technical Service Bulletin about it over on Renntech.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Kharz
Instructor

Ive tried refueling upside down :-) Still doesnt work

The only fishy thing is it literally started occuring the second i got it back from the dealership.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:25 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
It is possible that the evap cannister has failed. This causes the same symptoms you describe. Basically, there is no way for the air to escape the tank as it is displaced by the fuel, and this causes the auto shut off on the pump handle to trigger. There is a Porsche Technical Service Bulletin about it over on Renntech.
what he said
Old 01-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Kharz
Ive tried refueling upside down :-) Still doesnt work

The only fishy thing is it literally started occuring the second i got it back from the dealership.
Take the car back then. Either something got messed up in taking the front of the car off (for "front" is that perhaps bumper cover or did the tear down go deeper? like the front fender where the vapor recovery valves/hoses/canister is located?) or the problem appearing just happens to be a coincidence.

While I found for my 03 Turbo holding the nozzle upside down, or nearly so, works and I can refuel without any issues and get a good/consistent fuel refill -- to make fuel mileage calculations consistent -- I can fill the tank with the nozzle in the usual position I just have to hold the handle "right" so the nozzle is in the least sensitive position for early fuel shut off.

The Boxster is a bit more forgiving but now by habit turn the nozzle nearly upside down for the Boxster too.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:06 PM
ChristopherG
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it only do this shortly after leaving the house or every time? Not sure about in the 996 but Audi has an emissions test the car does in the morning and pressure tests the tank. If trying to refuel before the pressure test finishes the vent hose will not vent and will keep tripping the nozzle at the gas station.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

+1 on what Macster said, you took the car to the dealer, it was working, you got it back, it wasn't...this is a no brainer. They were working on that area of the car...it's not like they changed your serp belt and now you are getting this issue. Take it back, have them fix it, report back once that's done.

Cheers,

DS
Old 01-06-2013, 10:32 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Check fuse E6
Wonder if they left a ground wire off?
Read thru this thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-take-gas.html

Last edited by fpb111; 01-06-2013 at 11:06 PM.

Quick Reply: When refueling; I can get 0.6 gallons in before I need to wait 10 seconds